• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DarklyDreamingDexterPoster.jpg

NSFW Trailer:

Fanedit Film Name: Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Faneditor Name: Adabisi
Original Film Name: Dexter: The First Season
Fanedit Type: TV to Movie
Original Running Time: 652 minutes
Fanedit Running Time: 162 minutes
Amount of time cut: 490 minutes
Original Release Date: 2006
Fanedit Release Date: February 2013

Brief Synopsis:

Blood.

Intention:

To create a movie out of the first season of the excellent Showtime series, Dexter. Gone are all elements that do not deal with Dexter's essential character development or the Ice Truck Killer storyline. What we are left with is the story of Dexter Morgan, the quintessential the anti-hero, struggling to deal with his past and present.

Cuts:

Too many individual edits to list, but these are the main ones:

All unnecessary characters were axed - Rita, Astor, Cody and Paul are the major ones.

All unnecessary sub-plots, not tied to the Ice Truck Killer storyline were hacked: All but three of Dexter's kills-of-the-week, Bautista's marriage, the murder of the police officer, the politics between LaGuerta and the Captain, Dexter trying to help Jeremy Downs, Dexter's biological father and the inheritance.

All non-essential plot lines tied to the Ice Truck Killer storyline were chopped: the security guard as the first suspect, the kid in the trunk who might identify Dexter and Neil Perry confessing to being the Ice Truck Killer.

Many flashbacks that did not add to the overall story were severed.

To eliminate the bookending/episodic feel of a TV show, nearly all of Dexter's intro/outros to each episode were slashed.

Finally, the reveal of the Ice Truck Killer's identity is delayed to the point that the audience is now on the same page as the characters on screen.

Release Details:

DVD5 and avi versions available at the usual suspects.

dexter_3Dview.jpg

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really looking forward to watching this. Given the running time I was sure this was going to be a DVD9 release. Happy to see that you managed to fit it all on a DVD5.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any plans for an HD version? I'm most definitely interested in this!

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, no HD. I'm an SD dinosaur.

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am sooooooooo excited to see this! And like I have said before, I only have season 1 on DVD, so thanks for not using any of the other seasons, or I wouldn't be able to watch it! :)

Adabisi said:
DVD5 and avi versions available at the usual suspects.

Is Usenet a usual suspect?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Metrostar said:
Is Usenet a usual suspect?

I'm seeing it listed there using binsearch.info

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cannot get the dlc file listed to work at all. In jdownloader it wont load up, can anyone check out that file for the dvd5? thanks

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
I cannot get the dlc file listed to work at all. In jdownloader it wont load up, can anyone check out that file for the dvd5? thanks

I don't think Mega links work with JDownloader yet. Use http://dcrypt.it to manually download files (that's what I usually do anyways).

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just downloaded it with jdownloader using the megashares dlc with no troubles

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I downloaded it using the dlc with MiPony and had no problems at all.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh well look at that. Works in JDown for me.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
odd perhaps jdownloader had an update or the actual mega "site" was down for a few mins? Either way this would be the 9th time of reloading it (with a few various restarts of jdownloader) and now it is working, go figure

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the first half tonight. Awesome so far!

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Watched the first half tonight. Awesome so far!

Great to hear, especially since the first half is a little slower moving than the second. Hope you like the rest.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
Great to hear, especially since the first half is a little slower moving than the second. Hope you like the rest.

Been a while since I watched Season 1 so there were a lot of little things that I had forgotten. Plus, like you had said in your In-The-Works thread (and intention) this really feels like a cinematic movie as far as structure.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review:

This edit was AWESOME! Adabisi set the goal to turn Dexter Season 1 into an actual movie, not just a 2 1/2 hour TV season. Well, he has succeeded with flying colors.

I love Dexter, but definitely it can be too complicated for its own good. Season 1 was great, but this version is better. The edit is structured almost exactly as if they decided to make Darkly Dreaming Dexter a movie instead of a TV show. Of course if there had been a movie instead of a show it would have been very different, but man was this great. At no point did it feel like a bunch of small arcs stitched together into one mega story.

I will say though, the A/V quality ain't the best for a DVD5. It's not terrible, but not that great. But the editing was excellent throughout. A minor quibble I have is that I think some of Dexter's voice-overs explaining what's happening should have been cut. A perfect example is near the beginning when he says "There he is. Mike Donovan. He's the one."

Without a doubt, the best Adabisi fanedit I've seen yet.

Top Bottom