• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
if a room has no people in it, does it exist?
If there is no people inside, it's a room for no one, so you could say it's not a room until somone enters, right.
But if you're not yourself in the room how are you 100% sure there is no one inside? Ask Mr Schrödinger!

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My review from IFDB:

Let me start by saying, I am one of the few fans of the original theatrical version of Daredevil. I also enjoy Evanescence and their particular brand of what I call "drama rock." Then the director's cut came out and addressed some of the problems with the original, but it still wasn't ideal. Finally along comes Uncanny Antman with "Daredevil: Man Without Fear." If Marvel or 20th Century, whoever owns the rights to this film currently, were smart they would enter into negotiations with UA in order to release this cut as a "for profit" venture on DVD. It is that good. The editing, music editing, credits, and effects were as professional as any movie I have seen.

I will say this movie, the way it was cut by UA may have those not already familiar with Daredevil scratching their heads a little bit, thinking they are missing something. But if you are familiar with DD, you are in for a real treat.

my below comments contain some spoilers.

The handling of the murder of Jack was much better with him being shot, presumably by Falcone instead of having Kingpin do it (too on the nose). The interactions with Foggy were left mostly intact. I always felt the back and forth between Matt and Foggy was well played in this film. I liked the insertion of Matt's nun mother and Stick in short dream sequences, revealing glimpses into Matt's past. UA effectively ditched most of the bad wirework and CGI from this cut, leaving the action with a pretty gritty feel. All of the added soundtrack was great, but I was also happy to see some of the Evanescence tracks left in place. The rearrangement of the scenes was very well thought out and the film flowed very well. I was very happy with most of the material cut, including the subway killing of Quesada. All of the credits were incredibly professional looking and the placement of the opening credits was well thought out. It was good to see S.H.I.E.L.D. get due credit for its assistance in the making of this film in the end credits.

Now as far as nitpicks go, I would say I could have done without Matt's vision of the murder of Lisa Whatsername. Also, I am maybe the only guy on earth that prefers seeing Matt stay with Electra instead of running off to beat some people up. To me it makes him more human and gives their relationship along with her later feelings of betrayal and shock more impact. Finally, the showdown with Kingpin loses its connection and meaning due to the story rearrangement. It kind of leaves the viewer wondering why Matt is so pissed off at the Kingpin when 'twas Bullseye that killed his lady love. No real solid evidence is left in the film that Kingpin ordered Electra's killing. To me, the Kingpin comes off as a profit motivated gangster who will eliminate anyone in his path, but any connection to Electra's killing is merely circumstantial.

Technically, this cut seemed perfect. I didn't detect any problems at all with the video or audio edits. I've only seen the avi so far, so I can't comment on the menus and special features.

It took UA a long time to complete this edit and it took me a very long time to get it downloaded, but by God it was definitely worth the wait. UA, I seriously think you could do film editing for a living (if you don't already). What is the release date for Daredevil: Return of the Kingpin? It looks like a great sequel. :)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's funny, in all these years I never bothered to actually print out the cover for any of my edits before. But yeah...I think I kinda like having it on the shelf. Why didn't somebody tell me? (Or is it weird?)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
It's funny, in all these years I never bothered to actually print out the cover for any of my edits before. But yeah...I think I kinda like having it on the shelf. Why didn't somebody tell me? (Or is it weird?)

It's cool!
A fantastic edit.
Beautiful dvd cover art.

You should be proud to have this fan edit displayed on your shelf. :thumb:

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
It's cool!
A fantastic edit.
Beautiful dvd cover art.

You should be proud to have this fan edit displayed on your shelf. :thumb:
You're far too kind.

Not to dwell on it, but I ended up swapping the DVD case for a red one. It really helped make the art pop...made me realize how I used a little too much dark/dead space. :-o

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this baby again this morning. It is still as fantastic as I originally remembered it.

If you have not seen this amazing achievement in fan editing I highly recommend members seek this one out.:thumb:

Though [MENTION=4619]Uncanny Antman[/MENTION] I am still patiently awaiting that Rex Smith Daredevil trailer!!!! ;-)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Woah, this edit is a year old already? Time flies.

bionicbob said:
Watched this baby again this morning. It is still as fantastic as I originally remembered it.

If you have not seen this amazing achievement in fan editing I highly recommend members seek this one out.:thumb:

Though Uncanny Antman I am still patiently awaiting that Rex Smith Daredevil trailer!!!! ;-)
Bob, you remain far too kind. Or just the right amount. Either way, I appreciate the compliment. I flicked through the edit again myself recently and I still wish I had more footage to work with, but I'm pretty happy with it anyway. As a first movie, that is. The imaginary sequel in my head (The Return of The Kingpin) would have dealt with a lot of what was missing from this one.

Matt's reveals his secret! Kingpin gets out of prison and hires Bullseye to kill Daredevil! Elektra lives! Stick! The Hand! Black Widow! :)

Workshed

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just posted a review. TL;DR - Awesome.

I'm only knocking the A/V due to the unavailability of an HD version, but for a DVD release, it's a 10.

I'm not going to apologize, but Daredevil was always a guilty pleasure movie for me. It was one of the first of the golden age of comic book films that actually showed the main character make each day a physical struggle. You can see a lot of pieces that were used in better films like The Dark Knight with a protagonist that gets hurt but keeps pushing forward. That said, it's a guilty pleasure for a reason. The script is weak and the direction is a mess.

Thankfully, Uncanny Antman has delivered with an exceptional edit that rearranges the narrative in surprisingly effective ways. If you hate Daredevil, this may not turn the tide, but it's certainly far more interesting (especially if you have yet to see the Director's Cut).

Starting right from the beginning, losing the narration lets the images speak for themselves and expects a bit more from the audience. The story is there, but it doesn't spoon-feed what the characters are thinking, which is nice. Also, keeping the music period to the 80s in the origin story is key. The Theatrical Cut always felt messy because of the constant barrage of current music. This cut widens it, not worried about selling a soundtrack CD.

The opening title sequence is the biggest nail in the coffin of the theatrical version. Uncanny Antman's new sequence is amazing and does so much with such a little amount of time that brings the viewer into the present, while not short-changing Matt's training and his mission over a long period of time. Amazingly well-crafted and utterly professional that is miles above the insipid original titles.

Cutting down Quesada substantially is also a stroke of genius. We only see him in the biker bar and Daredevil beats him and his goons down without saying a word. No stupid lines about justice or giving the devil his due. Just a hard-hitting beatdown. Also, Uncanny Antman THANKFULLY removes the shot of Daredevil stopping mid-fight to "watch" bullets wizzing by through one of the worst uses of the CGI for super-hearing. Daredevil doesn't kill anybody this time around, but they're surely heading to the hospital.

The only weak link in the chain is in Elektra. Unfortunately, by removing the playground fight completely, it feels like there is a piece of the story missing. It truly sticks out that we don't see Matt use his charms at all on Elektra. We see her act coldly to Matt in the coffee shop. Then the next time we see her, she's on the rooftop in a romantic scene with Matt. It's an A to C moment that is a bit jarring. We also never see that she actually is a bit of a fighter. I would love to have seen just a tiny bit of the beginning of the playground fight, that ends the scene at Matt saying, "You sure you don't want to tell me your name?" and before all the crazy flipping around and terrible score kicks in. It's too bad that Elektra takes off her jacket because it creates a continuity error to use the bookend of the Director's Cut sequence when Elektra's bodyguards show up, which would have helped wrap the scene.

Despite my misgivings about Elektra's story, which is truly hindered by the original film that Uncanny Antman worked from, everybody else's story and performance is boosted by removing extraneous comedy and melodrama. It's a wonderful domino effect that leads into major moments of the ending being removed entirely. At first, it felt like it may have removed too much, but watching it a second time and unburdening myself from the original film's structure, I realized that the indeed the church fight and Ben Urich learning the truth about Daredevil are truly unneeded. Urich still has an arc because he's the tie to the truth in the Lisa Tazio case and Bullseye is just an assassin with no personal vendetta to Daredevil. He killed Elektra, job done.

Side bar: I loved the "Psycho Killer" bar darts sequence. Very creepy use of music and tone. Also, the new Kingpin introduction with a moody orchestral is definitely the way to go. N.E.R.D. is a welcome casualty of this cut.

The fight scenes are much shorter, but they have more brutality in its ferociousness. It just plays better without all the Crouch Tiger style flying about. Kudos on these cuts. There are many and they all work for the better, especially in the final fight with The Kingpin. There were numerous times in this version that I was wincing. Even what looked stupid in the original cut (Kingpin tossing Daredevil across the room into a wall) is expertly sped up and just on the right side of believable. Also, no "use the Force" moment with Daredevil remembering his water trick to see The Kingpin. Truly amazing.

Honestly, there's so much that's great here and the restructuring of scenes was surprising in a way that left me wondering why it wasn't done that way in theatrical cut! By giving Matt some time to grieve, it gives more weight to losing Elektra and ties in better to Uncanny Antman's subdued and hopeful ending. No "here's where all the characters are" type of ending montage, just a look of actual happiness for the first time on Matt's face. Cut to credits.

Finally, that swinging bit to kick Bullseye off the motorcycle. Genius.

Watch this version. You won't be disappointed. It's definitely my go-to in the future.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review, Workshed. (Evil Dead 2?)

I think you pretty much nailed my own view of the finished edit, both good and bad.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the shelf-life of my edit is almost at an end. Once the Netflix series comes out, I can't imagine many people wanting to go visit this one again. :)

WildLaw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just posted a review on IFDB and concur with the general acclaim your work has received.

And speaking of shelf-life and Evil Dead, don't write your edit off yet. Though I loved the remake Evil Dead 2 (not the 2013 atrocity), I still watch the original when I feel like seeing more old fashioned horror.

If the Netflix series doesn't quench people's thirst for Frank Miller's creations, I'd be curious to see what you could do with the film Elektra.

I apologize if my review meanders, but I didn't feel like editing it down.:p

Uncanny Antman said:
Thanks for the review, Workshed. (Evil Dead 2?)

I think you pretty much nailed my own view of the finished edit, both good and bad.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the shelf-life of my edit is almost at an end. Once the Netflix series comes out, I can't imagine many people wanting to go visit this one again. :)

IFDB review:

Daredevil was a movie I wanted to like but couldn’t. Sure it was occasionally fun, but the CGI silliness, OTT antics, and convoluted plot obscured what could have been a engaging and relatable origin story. There were enough worthwhile elements to make me hopeful for the spinoff Elektra, but I was sorely disappointed, and while Daredevil seemed good by comparison, a second viewing of it on DVD reminded me how bad it really was.

I originally couldn’t find a different Uncanny Antman (UA) fanedit I was looking for, so I thought I’d sample a portion of one of his other works just to see what he could do. I was pleasantly surprised when I reached the end of his “Daredevil: The Man Without Fear” fanedit without dropping it or hitting fast play, and feeling eager for more.

The opening title sequence with the Marvel Knights logo was an auspicious beginning. The focused prologue with its simple human drama was satisfying but felt unfamiliar, almost as if I was watching a reboot, but using the same actors. Only when it came to Affleck’s initial outing as Daredevil (DD) did I start to feel anything was amiss. The transition almost directly into DD’s violent confrontation felt abrupt, though a first time viewer might not notice anything missing. However, that concern dissipated as the rapid pace of the story carried me along and I realized showing DD’s initial foray without preamble symbolized the rudderless state of his life at that point and makes his self-affirmation at the end all the more powerful.

My biggest gripe is the lack of buildup to DD’s romance with Elektra. While I agree with the artistic reasons for cutting Affleck’s initial athletic flirtation with Garner, I felt their romantic development was already underdeveloped in the theatrical cut. I like UA’s restructuring to eliminate flashbacks, but perhaps one or two flashbacks to that cut scene could have been used to lend credibility to their romance. Unfortunately the two leads have no other costarring roles to mine for new material and I doubt Pearl Harbor had anything useful given Garner’s small role in it, but possibly scenes shot from the perspective of her love interest (implying it’s DD’s perspective) in some other role(s) she’d played could’ve been inserted to support the romance. Still, sufficient chemistry shone through and I was satisfied with where things ended.

The soundtrack UA ended up with felt perfect and did not distract from the unfolding of the story like in the theatrical cut. The audio and visual transitions themselves felt seamless. I would’ve like to have seen more contrast in some of the night scenes, especially since DD can “see” in the dark, but I understand the limitations of the source material and the symbolism of keeping things in the shadow.

By the end of this edit, I felt the right amount was told about Daredevil, but to expand the story in a satisfying way would’ve required a whole nother feature film. The original can be put in storage and this fanedit can be put on the shelf as a worthy professional quality replacement.

Bonus points for the fantastic DVD menu and extras UA produced for his release. The “Removed Material” while interesting examples of filmmaking technique certainly did not belong in the film proper. The fictitious “Return of the Kingpin” teaser makes for an interesting what-if. “Law & Order: Hell’s Kitchen” if actually produced could bring me back to watching police procedurals. Finally the “Nelson & Murdock” 80’s TV spoof almost makes me think Netflix should just skip their upcoming Daredevil series and go directly to a wacky retro procedural spinoff. I look forward to watching more features and shorts from this editor.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review, Wild. I appreciate it. As with the previous one by Workshed, you and I are on the same page. :)

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
needless to say i went to watch this fanedit not expecting much considering both theatrical and director cuts of daredevil are not the best in the way of storytelling but after viewing i can say i really enjoyed the experience.quite a few of the corny lines and terrible cgi wirework shots have been removed,the story has been streamlined to keep the story flowing.  i liked the updated musical choices in certain scenes , and the decision uncanny antman went with for the movie to end with the reporter not revealing he knew.
 there was really only one scene i had trouble was when he asks electra her name in the cafe' she leaves without saying ,and in the very next scene affleck tells favaraux her name is elctra(i would have shown affleck @ computer printing out a piece of paper ,running his finger across braille and dubbed the word electra in).

i wonder if in the future there might be an electra fanedit, after watching this i know i would watch it.   A solid edit worth a view or two.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excuse me, can anybody who has the edit at hand remind me the titles to the songs @"Uncanny Antman" added to his edit?  I would love to track them down once again but I only vaguely remember their titles… if somebody could give me a hand it would be appreciated!!  

Thank You Anticipately!

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Excuse me, can anybody who has the edit at hand remind me the titles to the songs @"Uncanny Antman" added to his edit?  I would love to track them down once again but I only vaguely remember their titles… if somebody could give me a hand it would be appreciated!!  

Thank You Anticipately!

I haven't seen the edit in a while, but I remember Psycho Killer by Talking Heads was in the bar scene.

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i just re-watched this 

bon jovi - livin on a prayer
real life - send me an angel
puscifer - the humbling river
nickleback - learn the hard way
moby - evening rain
talking heads - psycho killer
evernesence - going under
evernesence - bring me to life
angels - within temptation

i put songs in the order they are in the edit

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I correct autocorrect more times than autocorrect correct me and istill end off with spelling errors. Smh technology.

Top Bottom