• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Daft Punk: Human After All (Electroma Edit)

BlueVaporConcord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HAA_movieposter10.png
Daft Punk's Electroma is a fascinating arthouse movie. There is no 'but' to that statement. It is a well-produced film with a very nice score that was made very specifically to the wants of its creators. It is the film that it is, and it's a film I enjoy. It did, however, begin life as a music video for the band's track 'Human After All,' and that fact has always stuck with me. Prior to Electroma, Daft Punk was involved in the film Inter5tella 5555, a music video movie adaptation of their Discovery album. Being a huge fan of similar music video movies like Pink Floyd - The Wall as well as Inter5tella, and personally finding Human After All (the album) to be my favorite of their catalog, I've always wanted to see a film adaptation in the vein of those two projects. There have been attempts in the past to make such an edit that I've seen, but all have had a very light touch to the film's material. Other projects existed to build Electroma around other Daft Punk material, but I still wanted to see that film adaptation of my favorite album.

Adding a completely different score of a completely different kind to this kind of film necessitates edits to the film itself. As such, "Daft Punk - Human After All" recuts almost all of the film to match the "music video" qualities I've always wanted to see. Still telling a similar story, this is not a replacement for Electroma. It is a remix of it. The film adaptation of Human After All I've always wanted to see.

[PLEASE NOTE: Between 20:57 and 25:00 (the "Emotion"/bathroom scene), there are persistent lights turning on and off. While the effect is relatively mild, it could still induce an epileptic seizure in some people. Please be careful.]

Generalized changelist:
Movie length reduced from 68 minutes (72 total with credits) to 45 minutes (48 with credits)
Original score has been replaced with tracks from the album "Human After All"
Faster paced editing and a music video structure to each scene, with seamless cuts to footage and sound
New opening and closing credits

Detailed changelist:
New opening credit to more readily indicate what version of the film is being viewed
Original credits have been remade in the style of the new credits (this applies for both opening and closing credits)
Recut opening shots with credits
Title card replaced with new "Daft Punk - Human After All" card
Recut the opening driving sequence to "Television Rules the Nation"
Recut the scenes of the neighborhood drive to "Robot Rock" (which has also seen edits for length)
Recut the technicians/white room scene to "Technologic" (which has also seen edits for length and timing)
Recut the walkabout town with the human faces to "Human After All" (which has also seen edits for length and timing)
New sound design at the end of "Human After All", during and after the end of the track.
Recut the bathroom dismantling scene to "Emotion" (which has also seen edits for length)
Cut down the scenes of the robots walking in the outskirts of town
Recut the walking in the desert and dunes sequence to "Primetime of Your Life" (which has also seen edits for lengths)
Cut down the scene of the silver robot's demise
Recut the scene following the explosion to "Make Love" (which has also seen edits for length)
Recut the climax scene and ending shot to "The Brainwasher"
New first closing credits are scored with the opening to the track "Robot Rock - Oh Yeah" from Alive 2007 (LeBlanc Sound version)
Closing credits are scored with the track "Human After All - Together - One More Time (Reprise) - Music Sounds Better With You" from Alive 2007 (LeBlanc Sound version)
Added "1993-2021" closing image from "Daft Punk - Epilogue"
Daft Punk's Electroma is a pretty interesting arthouse movie. There is no 'but' statement to that. It is a well-produced film with a very nice score that was made very expressly to the wants of its creators. It is the film that it is, and it's a film I quite enjoy. It did, however, begin life as a music video movie for the band's Human After All album, not dissimilar to the film Inter5tella 5555. As a fan of Inter5tella, and other music video film projects such as Moonwalker and The Wall, I've always wanted to see a film for my personaly favorite Daft Punk album. There have been attempts in the past to make such an edit that I've seen, but all have had a very light touch to the film's material, I suppose to not tread on its meaning and intent.

I, however, think that adding a completely different score of a completely different kind to the film necessitates edits to the film itself. What has ended up in these previous edits is footage that is often disjointed from the music and vice versa. "Human After All" seeks to remedy this by recutting most of the film to match the "music video" qualities I've always wanted to see, with few compromises to the content of the footage being shown and still (visually) telling the same story.

This is not a replacement for Electroma. It's a remix of it. The Human After All movie I've always wanted to see.

• Movie length reduced from an 1h10 minutes to a little over 55 minutes.
  • Original score has been replaced with tracks from the album "Human After All."
  • Faster-paced editing and a more conventional structure with seamless cuts and sound edits.
  • New opening and closing credits.

• New opening credits to more readily indicate what version of the film is being viewed.
  • Recut opening shots with credits.
  • Title card replaced witrh "Daft Punk - Human After All."
  • Recut the opening driving sequence to match "Television Rules the Nation."
  • Recut the order of scenes during the neighborhood drive to line up with "Robot Rock" (which has also seen edits for length).
  • Recut parts of the technician/face-making sequence to match "Technologic" (which has also seen edits for length and timing).
  • New animated text corresponding to the lyrics of "Technologic" are stylistically integrated into the sequence.
  • New animated text corresponding to the lyrics of "Technologic" are stylistically integrated into the sequence.
  • Recut parts of the bathroom dismantling scene to "Emotion" (which has also seen edits for length).
  • Recut much of the walking in the desert and dunes sequences to match "Primetime of Your Life."
  • Replaced much of the score following the [spoilers] silver robot's death with "Make Love."
  • Recut the climax scene and much of the ending shot to "The Brainwasher."
  • New credits matched to the intro of the Alive 2007 opening track (LeBlanc Sound ver.).
  • Original credits have score added as the closing track to Alive 2007 (LeBlanc Sound ver.)
Currently, the film is still in a rough cut state. The first cut of the film is complete however, and it is watchable from beginning to end with only a few weird "hey that's not done" moments ("Technologic" sequence especially). A lot of what's missing is simple polish (like credits being off-center or misaligned) and a volume pass is needed (HAA has very, very loud tracks). One notable thing that hasn't been done yet is the last shot of the "Human After All" track sequence, where the crowd is walking; the footage is currently completely silent but I plan to create new SFX as none exist for this shot. I'm not ready to call it 'done', but I am ready to show it! Please feel free to give feedback towards the edit, I welcome it!

I also want to give thanks to one unknown individual: I mention in the description above that I've seen fanedits of Electroma in this fashion before, but there was one in particular which heavily inspired this one. Sadly, it seems to have been scrubbed from the place I watched it, YouTube, and I cannot find it despite attempting to search for it. The base tracklist especially was a big inspiration, while I didn't use every track they used in all the same places, I would've never thought to put "Television Rules the Nation" or "Robot Rock" where they are without having seen it. If anyone knows who made it, pass a massive thanks on to them, and tell them there's a place in my credits all for them if they give me permission.

Last edited:
A second draft of the film has been fully completed, and a third draft is currently in progress. A changelog for the second draft is below, and parts of the changelog for the third draft follows:
changes from first draft:
-robot rock has had some shots rearranged, moved around slightly. the continuity issues i haven't found a solution for that doesn't make the scene worse or the continuity issues even more apparent. as they sand, they are somewhat difficult to notice and the big one is only noticeable on rewatch or if paying close attention
-human after all has a new cut which better makes use of music and footage flow and stuff
-technologic graphics are "finished" at least to the point where they're all inserted
-new ending for primetime of your life which i'm not totally happy with but isn't the worst
-cut the engine sounds during television rules the nation down a bit, doesn't sound as nice so will restore for draft 3
-tightened up the technologic music edit, sounds much better now
-attempted to make an edit during human after all but it sounds wrong, will need to use more in-depth techniques than vegas allows
-adjusted the volume during the closing of the brainwasher, the flame sounds. needs further experimentation

changes from second draft:
-added wdpk homework easter egg
-rearranged shots during emotion to cut down on long shots and reduce overall length
-fixed two audio pops during technologic
-removed technologic text, replaced errant cut shot with black and white shot of fire
-replaced primetime of your life ending with a quickening of audio to get to the end faster lol

I'm not really a Daft Punk fan, but this is really interesting. I've never heard of this movie before, it sounds right up my alley. Movies made by/starring musicians always fascinate me, especially artsy ones. I'll definitely have to check out the film at some point.

I'm not really a Daft Punk fan, but this is really interesting. I've never heard of this movie before, it sounds right up my alley. Movies made by/starring musicians always fascinate me, especially artsy ones. I'll definitely have to check out the film at some point.

I'm more than happy to introduce someone to the original film this way. Calling it 'by' Daft Punk is definitely more apt than calling it 'starring' Daft Punk. It was directed and written by them but Electroma doesn't feature their music or feature them as the robots, although the robots are, ostensibly, supposed to be Daft Punk. It's a very arthouse film, very much what they wanted to make. To me, it's a little long in the tooth, but well worth a watch for anyone into this sorta thing even if they aren't into Daft Punk. It's also straight up on YouTube officially, as of last year (though of course I recognize that's not an excuse for fanediting it, I have one of the Blu-Rays around in my collection).

I'm convinced Daft Punk were inspired by the unfinished KLF White Room film to make Electroma

Update: a third draft is complete which constitutes the first version of the "done" film. As in, I could show it, call it done, and be happy with that. Reception to it has been positive also. I've taken some time away from the project to be able to evaluate it properly, and my current conclusion is that it needs tightening up in terms of fine frame-level cuts and timing. That will be done on the fourth draft, which could be the final or it may need a fifth, final polish pass.

Unfortunately, my motherboard just died today! I'm currently unable to work on the movie or even watch it since all copies are on a (safe) internal drive. But I figured this project could use a little reminder that it's still ongoing and intends to be finished. Like I said, it basically already is.

So! I'm now on draft five of the film, it was more accurate to call what I had done when my computer had problems (long story, wasn't motherboard) WAS the fourth draft (I even named the file as much). My opinion on the completeness of the film after giving it time to stew has changed from "basically done" to "basically almost done." There are many ALMOST right cuts throughout where the music and the visuals are off by one or two frames. Right now, I'm going through the whole film and adjusting all these raw cuts, doing a final pass on volume and SFX, and doing whatever minor touches to the film I think are necessary. I'm also going to adjust the poster slightly for the final cut. Here's an excerpt of what I have written down for changes in the fifth draft:
single frame adjustments in robot rock
-single frame adjustments in technologic
-fixed popping audio in technologic intro
-adjusted some footage timing to make the countdown in technologic close to on beat
-further adjusted original sfx during human after all, increasing volume to be more audible and match the volume profile of the rest of the movie
-lowered volume of background hum during technologic
-adjusted on-beat cuts during primetime of your life to actually be on-beat
-replaced the terrible flange effect on the helmet hitting the ground during brainwasher with some actual EQ-work

Draft five has been completed. Not yet done, there are a couple minor problems which need fixing, a couple small adjustments I can make, and that will, in fact, be it. I'm hoping for draft six to be the final cut, and is what I'll be submitting. Here's hoping someone else on the forum has a copy of Electroma lying around!

I've also drawn up three extra designs for the poster, on top of the one created at the top of the thread. I haven't decided which one I'll use, yet; feedback I've gotten from others varies in terms of what the favorite is, and there's one I'm kind of partial to. Whatever posters don't get used will still be included in the bonus material, which will include production notes and the first draft of the film.

Anyway, here's the full changelog for draft number five:
-single frame adjustments in robot rock
-single frame adjustments in technologic
-fixed popping audio in technologic intro
-adjusted some footage timing to make the countdown in technologic close to on beat
-further adjusted original sfx during human after all, increasing volume to be more audible and match the volume profile of the rest of the movie
-lowered volume of background hum during technologic
-adjusted on-beat cuts during primetime of your life to actually be on-beat
-replaced the terrible flange effect on the helmet hitting the ground during brainwasher with some actual EQ-work
-cut down the scene of the robots walking in the outskirts of town, felt it went too long and was disjointed with the rest of the edit
-cut down make love, ran on too long
-the film is now barely over 50 minutes long with credits lmao
-did some very funny edits to make love to make the fade do good (i'm tired)
-tiny adjustment to the first audio cut in robot rock adding a tiny crossfade to smooth things over slightly
-fixed not the main audio problem in human after ll, but one of them
-FIXED THE MAIN AUDIO PROBLEM IN HUMAN AFTER ALL!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAH FUCK YOU GOD I WILL MAKE YOU MY BITCH NO MATTER WHAT BULLSHIT YOU THROW AT ME FUCK YOU FUCK YOU I'M THE WINNER NOW
-footage timing adjustments in the chase during human after all
-tried some stuff with emotion, seemingly might not have worked due to lack of footage. might reevaluate later. (did the math, i can only cut about ten seconds in total without making the song longer and worse in parts, and the cuts i want to do cut more than ten seconds, so it's not really worth it)
-fixed an off-center credit that was bugging the shit out of me
-removed original cut song credits to avoid confusion
-shorted "music from original albums" credit to just "music from"
-lowered volume of on/off
-made title card look less clean so it appears more proper
-made title card slightly smaller
-made second opening credit card and first opening credit card exactly two seconds long each
-made some small footage timing adjustments to robot rock, smoothed over(?) an audio cut
-cleaned up crossfade extension shot of the sun in human after all
-cut the shot of the tractor before robot rock down
-recut a part of human after all to remove a badly slow-motioned shot
-finalized positioning of end credits (fr this time)
-i...think it's done? i can't think of anything else i wanted to tweak, adjust, or fix, in fact i keep running into things i want to adjust and finding i can't without compromise or without learning it just would not work like i thought.
-it is 10:00PM and may 19th, 2023, and i am calling daft punk: human after all's fifth draft complete

After several months of working on it on and off, draft six is in a state I feel comfortable calling polished and ready to be watched. A seventh draft is extremely probable just for light polish, as I'm willing to believe there are a few places where timing could be tightened by a frame or two (difficult to notice in my editor) and the opening and closing credits need visual work, but like I said, polished and ready. No changelog this time, since what little I've altered is exceedingly minor cuts and edits. My life is all over the place and has been since May. As it's not 100% finished (like I said, credits need visual work), I won't be submitting it until I can get around to completing what work needs to be done. In the meantime, I got a new poster made to replace the old one. Much snazzier.
HAA_movieposter9.png

This edit is currently being reviewed for approval. All interested parties who own the appropriate source material, are welcome to contact the editor via pm to request access to the workprint (at the editor's discretion) and offer preview feedback! Please post your feedback on this project thread so that the editor, all previewers and the official reviewer may assess it into their consideration. Thank you!

Last edited:
I didn't expect to get reviewed so quickly. This is pretty exciting honestly; the feedback I've gotten on the current version has been very good, but it's all been from people who know me personally. It's not that I don't value that feedback, but getting it from people who aren't my friends is going to be more helpful, I think. Hopefully it can get in without too much trouble, but I'm ready and willing to edit should anything need improving.

You're getting bonus points already for this change from your change list:
"FIXED THE MAIN AUDIO PROBLEM IN HUMAN AFTER ALL!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAH FUCK YOU GOD I WILL MAKE YOU MY BITCH NO MATTER WHAT BULLSHIT YOU THROW AT ME FUCK YOU FUCK YOU I'M THE WINNER NOW"

I am so over the moon that this happened. Since starting this project in March, I've had getting approved for the database as the thing keeping the project going. Everyone who's seen it has had nothing but positive things to say on it, which is such a huge shock to me. Video editing isn't my forte or profession, and though I consider the editing work on HAA to be fairly simple, I'm glad my sense of style and passing knowledge on shot composition and editing etiquette carried it through. I'm happy to be here. You have no idea.

This is causing me to think about mashing this movie up with the KLF White Room film, especially since its now gotten a blu-ray release

Back
Top Bottom