• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

CYBORG II: The Bionic Bride

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicmancover5example2.jpg

CYBORG II: THE BIONIC BRIDE

Colonel Steve Austin is reunited with his childhood sweetheart Jaime Sommers.
As true love blossoms, tragedy strikes, forcing Steve to make the most difficult decision of his life -- saving Jaime by making her the world's first Bionic Woman!
But what price will he have to pay? Will their love survive?

Find out as Bionic Bob retro-cons the origin of Bionic Woman, removing the villain and amnesia pain subplots, into a straight forward soapy love story.

Bonus Feature:
Experience the Bionic Woman's first mission in CYBORG II.V: Welcome Home, Jaime Part II

original film names: The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, "The Bionic Woman", "Return of the Bionic Woman" and "Welcome Home Jaime"
new film name : CYBORG II: THE BIONIC BRIDE
tag line: THE BRIDE OF CYBORG EDITION
film studio name : Universal Studios
edit crew name : Bionic Bob
persons involved: Me :)
Date Original Film Was Released : ABC Televison Network October 1975 & 1976
Date Edit Was Released : February 2013
Original Runtime : 306 minutes
New Runtime : 102 minutes
Cut/Add Time: cut about 200 minutes, added 2-4 minutes

Fanedit Intention:
Take over 5 hours of Bionic Woman origin story and boiling it down and retro-conning it into a fun adventure romance.

Editing Details:
--created new opening credits
--removed all the commercial breaks
--removed all opening title card scenes from "The Bionic Woman" and "Welcome Home Jaime"
--restructured/trimmed the episode cliffhangers
--removed repetitive exposition
--removed all super villain subplots
--removed the Memory Pain subplot

Used iMac 10.5, Mac the Ripper, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and iDVD

TRAILER:

DVD ARTWORK by the amazingly talented Rogue-theX
cyborgiibbbionicbob3dvi.jpg

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats Bob... fantastic DVD cover as always... I think I'll be printing these out as I reckon it will be worth having all of your Cyborg edits on the shelf ;) Look forward to seeing this one.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Congrats Bob... fantastic DVD cover as always... I think I'll be printing these out as I reckon it will be worth having all of your Cyborg edits on the shelf ;) Look forward to seeing this one.

My buddy Rogue is a DVD Master Artist Extraordinaire!

Hope you like the edit. Seemed very appropriate with February being the Valentine month. :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Thank You to my biggest bionic supporter Dwightfry for his review.:)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice review DF... very much looking forward to sitting down with the girlfriend, a glass of wine or two, and enjoying a romantic Bionic Romance... just a shame she's out of the country until one day after Valentines Day! lol.. oh well.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Nice review DF... very much looking forward to sitting down with the girlfriend, a glass of wine or two, and enjoying a romantic Bionic Romance... just a shame she's out of the country until one day after Valentines Day! lol.. oh well.

When love blooms, everyday is Valentine's Day! :kiss: :D

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob... thanks for another excellent edit. Sophie and I loved it mate :) Here's the review as posted on IFDB... (it's another long one I'm afraid! lol)

I know all too well the challenges of presenting a TV series fanedit which concentrates primarily and almost exclusively on the main character (some may say "soap-opera") elements of the story. You run the risk of boring the pants off some viewers if you go over the top, so it's a balancing act which demands skillful judgement from the editor. In the hands of an old-hand (well, he's not THAT old) such as BionicBob, the chances were good that this romantic tale of our two favourite Bionic heroes, Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers, would succeed more than fail.

Of course, it does help if you're a fan of the shows in questions, as you will already have some emotion invested into the characters. Like Bob, I kinda grew up on a weekly dose of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, so all his Cyborg edits have interested me greatly. Now, ideally I would have watched this one on Valentine's Day, but alas, my fiancee was away on business in Dubai, no less! So, a few days later once she had returned, we settled down on Sunday morning to have breakfast in bed and watch the origins of Jamie Sommers and the parachuting accident which would result in her becoming The Bionic Woman. More than that though, we get to discover the long friendship between Jamie and Steve which would eventually develop into a fully fledged romance whereby the two plan to become wedded. Apart from the opening 5 minutes or so, Bob bravely decides to jettison any ideas of Bionic super-heroics - don't expect any guest starring villains in this one, this is purely a tale of romance and a very good one at that.

What immediately struck me was just how good Lindsay Wagner was in the role of Jamie Sommers. It had been a while since I had seen her in the show, and her performance still holds up very strongly today. It's no surprise at all that she won an Emmy for her work during the series. Her likeable, natural persona comes shining through and Lee Majors plays off this very well too, meaning that the all important chemistry which is vital to a romantic story such as this, comes so easily that you're immediately drawn into caring for the characters and the experiences they go through.

So, this is all well and good, but how does Bob handle editing down about 5 hours of Bionic Woman origin style story, into 102 minutes of constructive narrative which engages us, satisfies us and leaves us wanting more? The answer is simple - brilliantly. The key during an edit like this, is that you don't want it to actually feel like it's too spliced together; that it's cobbled together from various different episodes. If that were the case, I would just be frustrated all the time and want to go back and watch the original episodes themselves. Well, thankfully Bob's a good enough editor to know how to cut around such potential pitfalls. With a mixture of montages, and using a modern TV trick of starting the story with some action, and then at just the perfect moment fading to black and then having the "One year earlier" caption, this is a prime example of how to balance an edit such as this. Truthfully, I never really felt this was put together from different episodes. It really did feel like one big TV movie and Bob, for that, I salute you. Excellent work.

If there's a very slight criticism, it would be the use of "that" song from Mr Majors. Not once... but twice! I honestly think you should have stuck with your original intentions of replacing this with something a little less cheesy and "in your face". I understand why you wanted to keep it in, feeling it was integral to the story and how we as the viewer should be feeling, but to be honest, I think even by just using instrumental music of some kind, we would still get the same feeling in regards to how Steve feels about Jamie.

However, on the whole this is terrific stuff. I even welled-up on a few occasions, particularly when Jamie is recovering after her Bionics fail. It goes to show just how good Wagner was in the role. Either that, or I'm just too much of an old romantic and a softy ;) Oh, and as for the surprise at the end of the credits - perfect.. just perfect!

More people need to see these Cyborg edits! It's time you got some Bionic adventures into your lives people. Cyborg I was a great place to start for sure... but for me Cyborg II is even better, despite the fact that there's hardly any Bionic action and no villains to speak of. For this genre, it's a bold piece of character driven storytelling which is well acted and I agree with DwightFry's comment that it makes one wish that the networks were a bit more daring and took this approach for other shows of this kind. Well done Bob on another top-notch piece of fanediting.

Now, it's really time I get around to watching Cyborg III and V!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
noss rebue, LS. you've gotten me all in the mood for a romantic fanedit.

really looking forward to seeing this, first with that nail salon girl, then maybe my wife. :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you LS for your detailed review.

It is really gratifying to hear this edit "worked" as it was exceptionally frustrating at times to remain objective while cutting it all together. This may have definitely been one of those cases where I was too close to the material. I had great difficulty separating the storytelling narrator from the life long over protective Bionic Fan.

This may be the reason for "that song" remaining in the final product. Honestly, I did try EVERY suggested song in the thread, along with several others, and none felt right. As ear wrenching as Mr. Majors singing may be, his "Sweet Jaime" has a genuine pathos vibe to it, and maintains the 1970s TV authenticity of the edit. But then again, that may just be the blind devoted Bionic Believer in me talking... LOL!

But count yourself lucky you only hear Lee Major's nails on chalk lyrical voice twice in this edit, for up to the very last second his song was featured in all THREE montages!!! :-o:p:D:lol:

I am glad you and others seem to enjoy these CYBORG edits, as they are works of pure fanboy joy which I would create regardless -- but it is good to know there are still other Bionic Believers out there. :)

For those following the Bionic Saga, the next episode is already in the pre-production stages....
Colonel Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers will return in...

CYBORG IV: BEWARE OF THE SASQUATCH

stay tuned. ;)

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey bob-o, maybe I missed this somewhere, but how come they weren't made/released in numerical order? (also, should they be watched in order if one hasn't started them yet?)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin said:
Hey bob-o, maybe I missed this somewhere, but how come they weren't made/released in numerical order? (also, should they be watched in order if one hasn't started them yet?)

Good question Rip!

I have a specific plan for 5 CYBORG fan edits, the scope of which cover the origins of Colonel Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers and their subsequent team-up adventures. I also have an less defined plan for 2 to 3 more follow up CYBORG adventures. But the first 5 are for me the core Bionic Mythology stories that explore Steve and Jaime's relationship together.

Do you have to watch the edits in order? Absolutely not. The classic SMDM intro set ups the world of the Bionic Man perfectly and the adventures themselves are self contained and entertaining.

As to why I have done these edits in this random order? A couple of factors, I am usually always working on two edits, a Cyborg edit and some other project. So depending on how complicated and madness inducing the other other project is, plays a determining factor in which Cyborg edit I want to tackle... something straightforward in terms of cutting (ie. Fembots and Sasquatch) or something very challenging (ie. Retro-Con and Bride)? Also, sheer giddy fanboy favoritism played an even more significant factor in how I chose, as the Fembot 3 part crossover is my absolute favorite Bionic Man/Woman adventure and I knew I wanted to do that story immediately after RETRO-CON, even though chronologically it happens 4 years after Steve's origin.

But as I said, you can easily watch these retro-adventures in any order. However if you watched them again once they are all released in the correct sequence, I think the bigger picture becomes clear in terms of character relationships and the evolution of the two series. ;-)

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for that very detailed post. I have all of the ones released so far, but have yet to watch them, to be honest, hence my question. I'll start with the first one, of course. ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just realized March 2013 was the 40th Anniversary of the very first Six Million Dollar Man pilot movie!!!

:whoo::clap2::dance::smile:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Came across this wonderful and heartwarming short film....

Anarchemist

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ScreenHunter_03Aug252015.jpg

One of my favorite moments from Bionic Bride is when Steve and his father pass Gilligan on the street.

Review coming soon BionicBob! But I loved it :)

(Actually I am having trouble signing in to leave a review, but I read that there are some website issues at the moment, so I will have to wait. But it was another wonderful edit, very very nostalgic. I am always shocked at the small details I remember, like Jamie carving the "?" into the tree. Anyway, full review coming soon. It will be short, but very positive.)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anarchemist said:
One of my favorite moments from Bionic Bride is when Steve and his father pass Gilligan on the street.

Gilligan was in town to watch the Harlem Globetrotters. Little did he know the Robotmaker was in town too! LOL!

I look forward to your review buddy. :)

Top Bottom