• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

CRISIS ON EARTH-X: The Punching Nazis Edition

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CRISIS-ON-EARTH-X-FINAL-POSTER.jpg

SUPER POWERED NAZIS FROM A PARALLEL WORLD INVADE!
WHAT IS THEIR ULTIMATE GOAL AND CAN THE HEROES OF THE ARROWVERSE STOP THEM?!?!

A TV-to-Movie fan edit of the four part CW crossover of Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow.

This is my favourite ARROWVERSE crossover and in my opinion, the best executed of the bunch. Honestly, for me, I pretty much love it in it's original form.
So the intent here is not necessarily make a better version, just a more streamlined alternate version with the Olicity Drama slightly dialed down.

Here is the basic Cut List:
Again, pretty much every cut nearly killed me, 😭 as this crossover is just overflowing with wonderful character moments that I love.

--it goes without saying, all commercial breaks gone and title cards for parts 2, 3 and 4 zoomed and reframed out and lots of audio work.

--Caitlyn and Stein scene before the Wedding Reception.... no Stein creating a new drug for Jefferson, no reminiscing about Ronnie
--cut Alex and Sara conversation and hook-up
--cut Barry and Kara's conversation about love
--cut Stein and Jefferson Spider-man conversation

--cut the morning after Reception sequence
--cut Alex, Sara and Kara on the front steps of the church
--cut Nora West cameo

--cut brief scene of Barry and Iris at STAR Labs right after church attack, as it interrupted the flow of Prometheus being taken to his holding cell
--trimmed Stein, Caitlyn and unconscious Cisco scene, removed dialogue about her costume and how her powers work, as she repeats this later to Rory
--trimmed Olicity Drama dialogue between Iris and Felicity while scanning for Nazis
--trimmed Olicity Drama dialogue between Ollie, Barry and Iris in the Time Chamber
--cut Olitcity Drama scene between Ollie and Felicity

--cut glance between Sara and Alex in Concentration Camp
--cut Felicity and Iris inside the STAR vent ducts
--trimmed Olicity Drama dialogue between Iris and Felicity when sending distress signal to the Legends
--cut Alex's conversation with General Schott
--trimmed out dialogue between Alex and Sara about their fling
--minor dialogue trim between Leo and Ray
--couple shots moved around when Stein gets shot

--cut Leo talking to Sara as they approach the breach
--cut Leo and Rory scene on the Waverider
--cut Leo talking to Rory during final fight
--cut Wells "Up, up and away"
--ADDED instrumental version of "Running Home To You" to Stein Funeral
--trimmed dialogue between Alex and Sara during their goodbye

--new custom credits added
--mid-credits scene added

ORIGINAL RUNTIME: 168 minutes
FAN EDIT RUNTIME: 145 minutes
27 minutes cut
4 minutes added
13G MP4 file

PM me if interested.
:)

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those who may not have followed the original In-The-Works thread, here are a few sample edit clips:

TITLE CARD:

DIALOGUE REMOVAL AND DUB:

REMOVAL OF COMMERCIAL BREAK:

RESCORING OF THE STEIN FUNERAL:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You @drvrjon for your review.

Popcorn Fun is definitely my goal for these types of edits and sounds like you enjoyed the buttery salty goodness of Punching Nazis!
😁

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You @Nic for posting a review.

I can not believe I missed that "Special Guest Star" title card!?!?! How embarrassing! πŸ€ͺ I will fix that as soon as I can!

Yes, I had to 'Kill Many of my Darlings' in this edit and Alex & Sara were probably the biggest casualties. But as I always say, my fan edits are just alternate fun versions, not replacements, and we always have the originals. But I did make an Uncut Version for myself. If interested, PM me.

That is an interesting idea about moving Sara's goodbye moment to be part of the montage, and funny enough, I actually did a version of that in my first draft. But in the end, I went back to original version as I felt it was more powerful for Sara to have that scene to herself rather than be part of a larger montage, as it is a tragic payoff to her earlier line to Alex about protecting her Team.

Thanks again for the review, it is greatly appreciated. :)

Reactions: Nic

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FYI title card cropping goof fixed.

Sad In A Box GIF

Reactions: Nic

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You @Dwight Fry for your review.

I am glad you felt the ending pays off the slower opening set up.

Earth-X I think is the smartest written of the Arrowverse crossovers. The script is very much a game of dominoes. Almost every scene sets up something, explains something or pays off something. It made editing very challenging and frustrating at times... I dunno how many times I cut something only to realize afterwards I had to put it back in because it was vital to plot point later on... lol.

And so happy the mid-credit scene has you excited for the next installment in the Crisis Saga!!! 😁

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@MusicEd921 Thank You for your review!

...went by with the speed of the Flash leaving me hopeful like Supergirl for more to come and ready for more comic action like Arrow. This edit is a LEGEND!

Love that!!!! :love:

The Arrowverse is a Soap Opera (then again, I believe all the classic comic book series were soap operas. Spider-Man might be the most successful soap ever!), so it is very tricky editing wise to find the right balance of essential story melodrama and action. And some relationships in the Arrowverse are more likeable than others. I know many do not enjoy the Olicity. Myself, I like it for it's dysfunctionality. Ollie and Felicity are both broken people, and their individual traumas causes constant drama in their relationship, but in the end, they are stronger together than apart. At least, that is how I view it. But when it comes to these edits, I realize the focus needs to be as much as possible on our lead heroes. Unfortunately, so many key plot moments are built around our heroes relationship storylines, that some melodrama must always spill through. But I like to view that as a strength, since it makes our heroes more human and fallible, and thus relatable. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You @Fran_Garcia for your review.

There are plenty Easter eggs, but one that I really love, was the homage to Superman II: β€œGeneral, would you care to step outside?”

Yeah, that is definitely a fun moment for us fans of certain generation! I always love when they give street addresses in the Arrowverse, "on the corner of so and so", always using either famous comic book creative teams or filmmakers. While these shows may have limited budgets and don't always hit their mark, there is no doubt, they are made with great passion by people who are genuine fans of the material. :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I genuinely cheered at that point. Someone in the Arrowverse creative team genuinely loves the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, and they like to show it. Not to mention that they have a very Reeve-like Superman there. Reeve will always be MY Supes, but Tyler Hoechlin is quickly becoming a close second. A lot of the same vibes there.

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone in the Arrowverse creative team genuinely loves the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, and they like to show it.

Also true regarding Brandon Routh's presence in the cast, who played the same version of Superman as Christopher Reeves in Superman Returns.

So I have a question, does the CW Kingdom Come Superman, a continuation of Superman Returns, which means DonnerVerse?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also true regarding Brandon Routh's presence in the cast, who played the same version of Superman as Christopher Reeves in Superman Returns.

So I have a question, does the CW Kingdom Come Superman, a continuation of Superman Returns, which means DonnerVerse?
Maybe. Maybe not. That is part of the joy (and frustration for some) of the DC Multiverse. In one 'verse, the timeline branched from Superman II to Superman Returns. In another universe, Superman III and IV happened. And in even another one, elements of all the movies happened. And as a fan, you can choose for yourself what is the Donnerverse and what is your head canon. It is the best of all possible worlds! 😁

THANK YOU @DirtyCop1036 for your review of Crisis of Earth X. Happy to read you found it to be a fun, fast paced adventure.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@LastSurvivor THANK YOU for your in-depth review.

Special mention goes to the action scenes here too. Considering these are TV productions, some of the staging and photography of the fight scenes are quite something to behold. Creative, interesting and very exciting without resorting to loads of annoying shaky cam or overly quick cuts.

I have long held the opinion, that ARROW has the best action/fight choreography of any television show. Some would argue DAREDEVIL is the best, but after that first brutal holy sh#t corridor fight scene, for me, Daredevil just kept repeating the same gag over and over, until the fights scenes began to blur and feel routine.

With Arrow, the fight choreography was always dynamically evolving, always pushing, even breaking, their limited budget. And this is all due to stunt coordinator and director, JAMES "Bam Bam" BAMFORD. Anytime you see Bamford listed as the episode director of any Arrowverse show, you know you are going to get something unique and special.

And Bamford certainly pulled no punches (I made a pun!!!) when it came to EARTH-X. That final fight sequence in the streets of Vancouver... oops I mean Central City... is amazing! It is probably the pinnacle action piece of all the crossovers in its sheer scope and scale.

:)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Profit THANKS for posting a review, always deeply apprecited.

This was cross over was, I feel the arrowverse started hitting it's stride.

EARTH-X might be the zenith of the Arrowverse. All the original BTS creative teams were still intact, the format formula was still relatively fresh and creative and the emerging interactive continuity was exciting for fans. The Glory Days. :love:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU @Martian Manhunter for you review.

Unlike Invasion, I feel underwhelment by the opening credits, with the closing credits plus mid-credtits sequence being pretty well made.

For the most part, with these type of stories, I am not a big fan of elaborate Opening Titles. I prefer to just get to the story right away and then try to do something creative with the End Titles. Plus, as I have said elsewhere, EARTH-X is my favourite of the Arrowverse Crossovers, and is pretty much perfect in my biased eye, so I did not think the original opening needed any tampering with... 😁

Martian Manhunter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU @Martian Manhunter for you review.

For the most part, with these type of stories, I am not a big fan of elaborate Opening Titles. I prefer to just get to the story right away and then try to do something creative with the End Titles. Plus, as I have said elsewhere, EARTH-X is my favourite of the Arrowverse Crossovers, and is pretty much perfect in my biased eye, so I did not think the original opening needed any tampering with... 😁
I'll explain further that my quibble stem more from the 'tv ness" of the opening titles. Every time a movie credit sequence uses terms like "guest star" it irks me, since a film has no regular cast. But I also understand that obscuring the titles would mean reframing the first 5 minutes of the film and that could be even more distracting than just leaving the original titles.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll explain further that my quibble stem more from the 'tv ness" of the opening titles. Every time a movie credit sequence uses terms like "guest star" it irks me, since a film has no regular cast.
That makes complete sense.
Thanks for clarifying πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@kennykatatak Thank You so much for taking the time to post a review.

It flowed so well until the 3rd act; then the edits became more apparent. Once Marty dies, it starts to feel like Tv again.

You are not the first to comment on how I handled the Marty death scene and I did consider taking the approaches you suggested, but at the end of the day, I thoroughly love the "I'm Sad" scene. One advantage tv has over movies imo, and that be retained in fan edits, is you can actually take the time to show all your characters reacting and being impacted by the loss of a major character. Sure it can be argued the the funeral scene accomplishes the same thing, but what can I say...? I am sucker for a good soapy cry fest! 😁 :ROFLMAO:πŸ˜‚:cry::ROFLMAO: lol

Top Bottom