• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Creating your own sound effects library

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So this may sound like a silly question because I'm sure a lot of faneditors do this but who here has compiled (or is in the continual process of compiling) their own sound effects library. I think most would agree that audio editing is the most difficult part of fanediting (in many cases it is equal part technique and art). We've had plenty of edits that display some serious audio editing talent when it comes to rebuilding audio, rescoring, etc. For example:

The Ugly West by TMBTM and boon23
Rocky V - The 80's Remix by LastSurvivor
Wolf Dancer by CBB
Scream - The Giallo Cut by Neglify

(Apologies to those I've left out. I know there are many other edits that deserve praise for their audiowork, these were just a few that came to mind - and edits that I've seen).

With that said, I know a lot of people utilize freesound and similar websites (and even youtube) for finding sound effects. I'm wondering if anyone goes through their DVDs and captures bits of sounds/sound effects to add to their toolbox for future work. As a relative noob when it comes to serious audio editing (more than just simple crossfades!) I'm thinking that this would be a pretty useful undertaking. Obviously it would be time consuming but there are clearly a ton of benefits when audio rebuilding is needed for an edit.

That's the end of another random stream of consciousness brought to by Gatos.

Not entirely the same as a sound effect library but rather a very useful tool relevant to the topic.

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

It's called PaulStretch, it's free and powerful, and you can use it to create your own sound effects by manipulating sounds in several ways, including very effective time stretching. This and Audacity combined with a small sound effect library basically opens the flood gates of possibility. Hope it's helpful. Enjoy!

addiesin said:
Not entirely the same as a sound effect library but rather a very useful tool relevant to the topic.

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

It's called PaulStretch, it's free and powerful, and you can use it to create your own sound effects by manipulating sounds in several ways, including very effective time stretching. This and Audacity combined with a small sound effect library basically opens the flood gates of possibility. Hope it's helpful. Enjoy!

I actually recently discovered PaulStretch while working on a trailer. But I hadn't considered the possibility of creating my own sound effects with it. It is definitely an excellent tool though and thanks for suggesting the idea!

I don't really have a database but I've been organizing my sound effects better so I can build one eventually. That stretch program looks interesting, thanks Addiesin.

I generally just search freesound for what I need, but then again, I'm lazy.

Back
Top Bottom