• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Creating DVD Covers for the uninitiated?

Batman Beyond

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After my DVD Authoring advice for the uninitiated thread (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5569), once again I come to the graceful Fan Edit forums for advice.

I wanna do a series of DVD covers for my series of re-edits (four re-edits of three Highlander films and an irrelvant one turned into one), and wanna made the front covers match the Series dvd sets fronts, and make a spanning spine for the four of them.

Here's an example of the Series front I'm refering to:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SS500_.jpg
However, without the coloring of the thing, just a colored fact as a background with the hero in front in a pose.

And here's the spine, though I haven't changed the green image yet (don't know how to do that, either):
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1092/hlspineqn9.png

So, in sort: I feel sorta ashamed to say this, but truth is...... I have NO idea how to do all those things, and I have just gotten Photoshop CS2. I would appreciate an extensive how-to, as I would really like to be done with that stuff as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Looking forward to your responces.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, there are a lot of steps there, and I am not going to walk you through all of them, but simply put here are the steps you need to take:

-get image of head
- adjust hue/saturation of head image (CTRL + U). check colorize box. and adjust the hue until you get the green color you want

-get image of whole body. erase sections that you dont want (i.e. background) to isolate just the figure. you can use the eraser tool for this.

those steps are more or less covered in the video tutorial I posted. As well as other things you will need to do (resizing, etc) I suggest you watch the video, play around with photoshop a bit to become familiar with it, and then ask specific questions if you are still having problems.

Batman Beyond

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
well, there are a lot of steps there, and I am not going to walk you through all of them, but simply put here are the steps you need to take:

-get image of head
- adjust hue/saturation of head image (CTRL + U). check colorize box. and adjust the hue until you get the green color you want

-get image of whole body. erase sections that you dont want (i.e. background) to isolate just the figure. you can use the eraser tool for this.

those steps are more or less covered in the video tutorial I posted. As well as other things you will need to do (resizing, etc) I suggest you watch the video, play around with photoshop a bit to become familiar with it, and then ask specific questions if you are still having problems.
OK, I played with it a bit, and I want to ask how can I make the head shot fade into the background, but only a little bit? Like, I want a small part on the left of the head down, to slowly but smoothly fade into the specific backgrounf that I have.

Also, how I make that glow for the body like in the cover?

Otherwise, excellent tutorial and really tought a lot. Thanks, man! :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Batman Beyond said:
OK, I played with it a bit, and I want to ask how can I make the head shot fade into the background, but only a little bit? Like, I want a small part on the left of the head down, to slowly but smoothly fade into the specific background that I have.

For this, there are a few ways to do it, but probably the easiest (to explain) is to just use the eraser tool. I demonstrated this a bit in the tutorial. For your case, I would set the size of the brush to very large, and the hardness to zero. make a few passes over the portion you want to fade. Remember keep the opacity (pressure) really low. start around 10% (or even less)

Batman Beyond said:
Also, how do I make that glow for the body like in the cover? Otherwise, excellent tutorial and really taught a lot. Thanks, man! :)

If you have the body separated as it's own layer then click on LAYER -> LAYER STYLE -> OUTER GLOW. Here you can set the color, size, and opacity of the glow.

Batman Beyond

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Batman Beyond said:
OK, I played with it a bit, and I want to ask how can I make the head shot fade into the background, but only a little bit? Like, I want a small part on the left of the head down, to slowly but smoothly fade into the specific background that I have.

For this, there are a few ways to do it, but probably the easiest (to explain) is to just use the eraser tool. I demonstrated this a bit in the tutorial. For your case, I would set the size of the brush to very large, and the hardness to zero. make a few passes over the portion you want to fade. Remember keep the opacity (pressure) really low. start around 10% (or even less)
I have tried out the eraser tool, but I will keep on trying.

You said that was the easiest way. Are there any other ways?

ThrowgnCpr said:
Batman Beyond said:
Also, how do I make that glow for the body like in the cover? Otherwise, excellent tutorial and really taught a lot. Thanks, man! :)

If you have the body separated as it's own layer then click on LAYER -> LAYER STYLE -> OUTER GLOW. Here you can set the color, size, and opacity of the glow.
Thanks! I'll see to that.

Wanna let you know when the re-edit's done?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there are other fading techniques. You can apply a mask and use the gradient tool. Its not that easy to explain, so I suggest looking on youtube for a short vid. There are tons of useful videos there for photoshop. I quickly found this one that demonstrates a way to do it.

[youtube:1ta8m0sg]

The artist here is a bit sloppy, but it shows you the general idea

Top Bottom