• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Covers by kerr

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made some new cover art for the first two parts of "The Red Book of Westmarch". I decided having the plain red cases for all six edits would get kinda boring, so I decided to make some 2-disc cases - so here's the first for "The Fellowship of the Ring", designed to hold "Book I - The Return of the Shadow" and "Book II - The Ring Goes South:

fotrpreview.jpg

http://rapidshare.com/files/210394459/FotR_Cover.rar

I wanted to keep the basic design from the single-disc cases (found on the DVD-roms - I'll probably upload them separately soon), and to have it feel sort of like a book cover. Also, I wanted to use art that matches what is seen in the films - for FotR, I decided John Howe's great painting of Gandalf would fit the bill pretty well. Even Glamdring looks similar to the prop used in the film! I wanted the blurbs on the back to fell like book blurbs, not DVD blurbs - so they're taken from my 1969 editions. The writing on the top and bottom of the case is the same as on the single-disc cases, is taken from the book's title page, and translates: (top) "The Lord of the Rings translated from the Red Book" (bottom) "of Westmarch by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. Herein is set forth the history of the War of the Ring and the Return of the King as seen by the hobbits."

H

Haltiamieli

Nice covers. Admittedly these are a little more interesting as a series than the plain red ones would be. Besides, 2dvd cases save shelf space, which is quite limited at least in my apartment. As soon as I can find a colour printer, I'll print these for myself.

However, I think it would be nice to mention the name of the cover artist in question somewhere on the backcover. Their identity might not be obvious to all. :)

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haltiamieli said:
2dvd cases save shelf space, which is quite limited at least in my apartment.
Heh, yeah. That's why I made them - didn't have enough space on the shelf for six covers.

Haltiamieli said:
However, I think it would be nice to mention the name of the cover artist in question somewhere on the backcover. Their identity might not be obvious to all. :)
D'oh! That's true. In case I don't get around to making new versions of these covers - the FotR painting is by John Howe, and the TTT painting is by Alan Lee. In my opinion, those two artist deserve a lot of the credit for how great PJ's trilogy turned out. Most Tolkien fans will probably agree in that the trilogy's greatest strength is that it looks like Middle-Earth, which is mostly thanks to Howe and Lee, who where concept artists for the trilogy. So yeah, I'll try to get around to upload updated versions of the covers with the proper credits, and will definitely do so when I upload the RotK cover (which will feature a painting by Howe - Tolkien fans cans probably guess which one).

Top Bottom