• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Covers by jimjones

jimjones

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked this version of Batman Forever but the single-color cover art just didn't do it for me so I decided to make my own. This is my first cover, any feedback is welcome!

Sorry for the watermarks, I only have the free version of IMANDIX.

Batman Forever - Red Book Edition

Red-book-cover-3D.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
looks great! and welcome. hope to see more covers :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, another great one.

that fifth element cover is really awesome, my favorite of yours yet.
did you make/alter that cover image of leeloo's face in "pencil" or did you find it?

either way, great work.

jimjones

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
wow, another great one.

that fifth element cover is really awesome, my favorite of yours yet.
did you make/alter that cover image of leeloo's face in "pencil" or did you find it?

either way, great work.

Thanks for the feedback! The image on the cover was a still from the movie. I converted it to a sketch in Photoshop and then layered some of the color back in. I didn't make the concept art or storyboards, just found them. The movie always felt very comic bookey to me so it seemed natural to do a filmstrip/comic panel combo.

Here's another one that I finished just minutes ago. I'm not 100% sure about this one. I think the back could be better. I'm having a creative block on it though. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Spirits Within: Heroes Departed

3D.jpg

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
interesting, I really like that sketch effect. well done.

input on FFSW:

I think the front is a bit too empty. perhaps increase the black text box by 50% and remove the black so you can see the blue background where the black was. and maybe add in a star field toward the top.

as for the back - I'd put round edge frames around the images to blend w/ the round edge squares in the art.

otherwise another nice effort. you are the rising star of cover artists!
:smile:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't like the final fantasy one.
Too fancy for me.

jimjones

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
interesting, I really like that sketch effect. well done.

input on FFSW:

I think the front is a bit too empty. perhaps increase the black text box by 50% and remove the black so you can see the blue background where the black was. and maybe add in a star field toward the top.

as for the back - I'd put round edge frames around the images to blend w/ the round edge squares in the art.

otherwise another nice effort. you are the rising star of cover artists!
:smile:
Ooh, I like the suggestion for the back. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the front though. Increase the black text box and remove the black?

boon23 said:
I don't like the final fantasy one.
Too fancy for me.
Oh well, they're not all for everyone. Maybe you'll like the next one better.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the black rectangle with all the text - I'd make that bigger and remove the color black (in the rectangle) so you can see through it to the blue sky/space image.

you could also add in blue gyia or the red spirit monster to the top of the image.

just spitballing.

also, is the spine complete? I dont see the full title and cant read what is under "the spirits within" at that res.

jimjones

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
the black rectangle with all the text - I'd make that bigger and remove the color black (in the rectangle) so you can see through it to the blue sky/space image.

you could also add in blue gyia or the red spirit monster to the top of the image.

just spitballing.

also, is the spine complete? I dont see the full title and cant read what is under "the spirits within" at that res.

Wow, and this is why I'm glad people give feedback. I totally forgot to edit the front title to reflect the name of the edit. This cover was intended for "The Spirits Within: Heroes Departed" edit by geKKo which currently has no cover art. That's why Final Fantasy is not on the spine. What's the protocol on that? Is it better to leave "Final Fantasy" off since it's not actually part of the edit title? Or does the full title of the original movie typically go on there regardless of the edit title?

I'll also try a version with what I think you mean about the black rectangle.

Btw, I'm removing the download link for this until I'm satisfied with it.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there is no set protocol really since you are making the art.
but I'd recommend using the editors given title - or make an alternate.

for example The spirits within: heroes departed (possibly adding the subscript: a 'final fantasy spirits within' fanedit)

glad to help.

jimjones

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, I edited my post above to reflect the FF:TSW cover with your suggested changes.

First off, I added a star field which is not very visible in the 3D shot but it's good at full res.

Front: I changed the title on the cover to reflect only the edit title. Black background has been removed from the title bar. Added large picture of Aki's eye to the background.

Spine: The title bar has been changed to more closely match the cover and disc and it has been moved to the top of the case.

Back: I rounded the corners of the screens and removed the black background to match the front.

Disc: Removed the black background from the title bar to match the front cover and changed title to reflect edit title. Slightly repositioned the logos and rotated the background image to match the angle of the image on the back of the case.

I think almost all of those changes made it better. The only one I'm not completely sold on is the removal of the black background on the back of the case. It's necessary to match the front though so I'll leave it. I'm considering adding a ship to the front cover since it still feels a little bare but I wanted to get feedback on this stuff first.

Thanks again for the criticism, elbarto1. It's much appreciated.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it looks much better now IMO.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like it. The eye is a nice addition and the text w/o black is exactly what I was talking about.

one more (very nitpicky) change I'd suggest is rounding the sharp corner of the orange bar that surrounds the text, since all other sharp edges are rounded.

no disrespect, just a friendly suggestion.

otherwise it looks great. this is the first time I have critiqued/contributed to another artists cover art so i appreciate the opportunity.

jimjones

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I tried the rounded corners on the orange bar but it felt too Star Trek-ish and didn't look right, imo. I consider this one complete. I've made the download link available again.

Thanks to you guys for helping make this a better cover than I started with.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah I can see that.
well done on another cover!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jimjones said:
Well, I tried the rounded corners on the orange bar but it felt too Star Trek-ish and didn't look right, imo. I consider this one complete. I've made the download link available again.

Thanks to you guys for helping make this a better cover than I started with.

That's funny, I almost chimed in that exact same point, but since I'm terrible at covers I thought I'd keep my stupid comments in my pocket. :)

Top Bottom