• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well we have a holiday here in Germany from now until Tuesday. But starting Tuesday my kids go back to school. Well one of them does. They will alternate weeks, distance learning for one and at school for the other and then switch the following week.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally got me an RN license! :D

RN.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't count the number of times I watched that video. It still cracks me up.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did I forget to mention that the producer, writer and director (+ the occasional guest) are doing lockdown commentaries for every episode of Red Dwarf. Highly recommended. They're up to S2 episode 'Stasis Leak' today with guest Mac McDonald who usually has a wicked/dry/sarcastic sense of humour:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I missed that David Lynch has been broadcasting a literal weather report every day since 11th May:

This might be the most surreal thing he's ever done. #recontextualisation

My local cinema is listing 3 things for pre-booking for the first time in months. I'm in no rush to visit and the films all look awful but it's nice to know it's there :) . Oh and Empire Strikes Back is getting a surprise 4K re-release in the UK to try and kick start cinema attendance:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-4k-re-release-cinemas-2690263

I don't if I can be bothered with seeing the special edition Disney version though.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't if I can be bothered with seeing the special edition Disney version though.

I dunno man.  Hearing Luke yell "Maclunkey!" as he falls into the chasm might make sense on the big screen.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amid all the constant barrages of terrible news, I can only hope that this global trauma spurs a huge increase in vaccine development so the next time one of these novel airborne/droplet viruses pops up, we'll have to tools to quash it quickly and efficiently. If we can sequence genomes and even re-edit genetic code, surely it shouldn't be that difficult to engineer a harmless "template" organism that the human immune system will always attack, and quickly add the necessary viral identifiers as needed? Or sequence a novel virus such as COVID-19, remove its coding for self-reproduction, and swiftly make inoculation doses out of de-fanged knockoffs? With all the world's computing power, surely it should be fairly easy to beat the unthinking randomness of viral evolution at its own game?

I know this is all dreadfully uninformed spitballing from a non-virologist, but I'm trying to stay positive here. :cry:  :p

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's more-or-less the thinking that changed the Wuhan Institute of Virology into more of a Coronavirus research laboratory in the first place.  Coronaviruses have tended to be nastier buggers (SARS, MERS), so Chinese virologists recognized that early detection and research was key to mitigating/stopping these outbreaks.  The WIV was considered a world leader in bat coronavirus research before COVID-19 was even first detected, and they are certainly no less motivated to find cures now that it's ravaged their own home.

So none of this is new stuff, starting from scratch.  It's really just a matter of making sure research grants (from the NIH and so on) are steered toward facilities like this with higher priority, that's all.  Yes, COVID-19 spread so fast and wide that a widely-available vaccine isn't really likely for another year.  But this won't be the last one, any more than SARS or MERS were the last ones.  A focus on research on this entire troublesome class of viruses seems warranted, and since that's already happening, let's just do what we can to make sure more of that research happens/remove any roadblocks that may be impeding that research.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the way this years going i wouldn't even be surprised if October 31st fell on Friday the 13th this year.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
With the way this years going i wouldn't even be surprised if October 31st fell on Friday the 13th this year.

I know you're joking, but it really is happening 13 days after Halloween -- which is literally as close as it can possibly get to Halloween.  So it's definitely trying to happen this year.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
San Francisco, my hometown: a global leader in kicking covid-19 in the nuts! :D

UCSF: ‘AeroNabs’ Promise Powerful, Inhalable Protection Against COVID-19

As the world awaits vaccines to bring the COVID-19 pandemic under control, UC San Francisco scientists have devised a novel approach to halting the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease.

Led by UCSF graduate student Michael Schoof, a team of researchers engineered a completely synthetic, production-ready molecule that straitjackets the crucial SARS-CoV-2 machinery that allows the virus to infect our cells. As reported in a new paper, now available on the preprint server bioRxiv, experiments using live virus show that the molecule is among the most potent SARS-CoV-2 antivirals yet discovered.

In an aerosol formulation they tested, dubbed “AeroNabs” by the researchers, these molecules could be self-administered with a nasal spray or inhaler. Used once a day, AeroNabs could provide powerful, reliable protection against SARS-CoV-2 until a vaccine becomes available. The research team is in active discussions with commercial partners to ramp up manufacturing and clinical testing of AeroNabs. If these tests are successful, the scientists aim to make AeroNabs widely available as an inexpensive, over-the-counter medication to prevent and treat COVID-19.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anybody been to the cinema recently, one in which you've been required to wear a face mask throughout? (it's mandatory in the UK). It makes perfect sense safety wise but I'm unsure if I want to wear one for 2-3 hrs straight in an already warm cinema with my glasses on. I'm tempted to go this weekend (for the first time since "the event") but this is putting me off. Is it not that bad?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven’t been to the cinema, but it’s the glasses which bothers me too. I will say I know someone who had to wear both a mask and a shield on a flight from Rome to Sydney this month. He said he got used to it pretty quickly. Of course on a flight you can sleep and take off your glasses. But you love the cinema enough that I’d say it’s worth a try if you feel it’s safe. Worst case scenario is you leave and look at your ticket price as a donation to your local cinema.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
F**k. Today's news doesn't bode well for the film industry globally:

BBC: Cineworld set to close UK cinema doors after Bond movie delay

Following my concerns above... I've been to the cinema 3 times now (at a Vue UK venue) and it's actually a really nice experience. Wearing a mask with glasses for a couple of hours is totally fine, I forgot about it. Pinch it hard on the bridge of your nose and there's no steaming up of lenses.  The seating is VERY socially distanced and you can do contactless tickets, so you can get in and out without going near anybody, or touching any surface except the arms of your seat. Given how empty the screens are, if people talking over the film and making noise spoils things for you, then there's no better time to watch movies.

With little new to show, my local Vue have packed October with classic films including:

Carrie
The Silence of the Lambs
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Predator
Psycho
Scream
The Evil Dead
The Exorcist
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Shining

So I'm well happy to support them and will be paying to watch every one :) .

Plus these ones I've seen already:

Jurassic Park
12 Years a Slave
Aladdin
Alien
Poltergeist
Selma

(and they've got all the Harry Potter films on, if you like that sort of thing)

So check out your local cinema, you might be surprised what cool stuff they've got on.

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
F**k. Today's news doesn't bode well for the film industry globally:

BBC: Cineworld set to close UK cinema doors after Bond movie delay

Following my concerns above... I've been to the cinema 3 times now (at a Vue UK venue) and it's actually a really nice experience. Wearing a mask with glasses for a couple of hours is totally fine, I forgot about it. Pinch it hard on the bridge of your nose and there's no steaming up of lenses.  The seating is VERY socially distanced and you can do contactless tickets, so you can get in and out without going near anybody, or touching any surface except the arms of your seat. Given how empty the screens are, if people talking over the film and making noise spoils things for you, then there's no better time to watch movies.

With little new to show, my local Vue have packed October with classic films including:

Carrie
The Silence of the Lambs
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Predator
Psycho
Scream
The Evil Dead
The Exorcist
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Shining

So I'm well happy to support them and will be paying to watch every one :) .

Plus these ones I've seen already:

Jurassic Park
12 Years a Slave
Aladdin
Alien
Poltergeist
Selma

(and they've got all the Harry Potter films on, if you like that sort of thing)

So check out your local cinema, you might be surprised what cool stuff they've got on.

Wow.... The halloween movie lineup is top notch. You think they gonna show those classic in their original aspect ratio or just use those restoration prints? Would be cool to watch The Shining in 1.85:1 open matte version:)

Top Bottom