• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought we were riffing.

giphy.gif

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've found the chart on this site handy for seeing how various countries are faring at battling COVID-19.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/covid19-coronavirus-countries-infection-trajectory/

If you hover over a continent in the legend, it will highlight those countries, making it easier to pick out individual countries.  Basically every country starts out with an arrow pointing in a more vertical direction, and then ideally they go more horizontal over time as the pandemic is kept in check.  In other words, horizontal means more or less under control, vertical means out of control.  The disease takes several weeks per case, so it's a lagging indicator (changes made today don't have an impact on these numbers for a couple weeks).  South Korea is nice this time of year.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Police are on all our highways stopping people from moving around too much.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My first trip to a "socially distanced" supermarket today. Queuing 2-metres apart outside, being counted in etc. Felt freakin' weird in a post apocalyptic way.

Alan was way ahead of the curve with the 20-second hand wash in this piece of VT from last year :D :

Remember to work up your hands into a nice creamy lather.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Alan was way ahead of the curve with the 20-second hand wash in this piece of VT from last year :D :

Remember to work up your hands into a nice creamy lather.

One of the big take-aways from this whole affair is just how awful most of our health education is. The amount of people (myself included), that didn't know they needed to wash their hands for 20-seconds, was staggering.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My positive thought for the day: I'm glad the November United States elections are still 7+ months away, which should give us enough time to ensure an orderly process, whether it be via the tested and true method of voting by mail, or otherwise. Just imagine the alarm if the election were scheduled to be held the first Tuesday of April... or, better yet, don't. The last thing Americans need in this crisis is for a national/presidential election process to be mired in doubt, uncertainty, and widespread FUBAR-ness. I trust I can say this, and just this, without being too political for the board. :)

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the "how is the fight going within the US?" side of things, fivethirtyeight.com has some really good state-by-state charts in an article that unfortunately frames the issue politically, so I'm not linking it here.  In spite of the framing, the data tells the story in a helpful way for just keeping track of the fight in your state and others.

For example, I live in a state with the 4th-highest rate of detected cases per capita, so yikes.  But, looking at this chart, I can also see that we have the slowest increase of detected cases in the nation (at least over the last 3 days), so whew, there's a silver lining (did you see what I did there?).  Meanwhile, most of my family lives in a state with a lowish rate of detected cases, and a middling increase in detected cases, so not so bad.  But man, New York is in a bad state right now, in spite of the fact that they seem to have successfully slowed the increases quite a bit.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My partner just spent most of the day organizing mutual aid efforts in our neighborhood and it already seems to be paying off. Fuck I'm so proud of her :heart:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This guy can do some great Tolkien impressions. Very funny and surprisingly moving:

(a couple of mild swear words in there)

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In a bit of hopeful news in the US:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...eek-in-washington-offering-a-glimmer-of-hope/

Now, hospitalizations are only a fraction of the total number that really matters, but it's an indicator, and in this case, a positive one.  It's also hard to say exactly how long it takes, or exactly which measures it took, for this sort of turnaround.  Washington's had infections longer than any state, large employers in Washington started mass telecommuting before there was any official stay-at-home directive, and even when it came to a directive, the governor briefly tried a nice-guy approach of "we strongly advise everyone to do this" before finally reluctantly saying "everyone must do this".  But presumably, if you implement similar measures, preferably while your infection rate is still on the lower end, you could get declining caseloads after a few weeks.  And declining caseloads aren't the end of the story by a long shot either -- the pandemic is still out there, and ending the directives too early could trigger another wave.

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone here had the virus? I know that if you're in the US tests are practically impossible to come by, but does anyone suspect they've had it, know someone who has, or been tested positive for it?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MovieFreakedMind said:
Has anyone here had the virus? I know that if you're in the US tests are practically impossible to come by, but does anyone suspect they've had it, know someone who has, or been tested positive for it?

I am in the US. I have friends who have been tested. It's hard to sift through information and truth.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m from the US and living in Germany. I don’t know a single person who has had it in either country. We have friends here that live around the corner from us that flew back from Italy in late February. A person on their flight tested positive upon arrival and so they were quarantined for two weeks. We brought them groceries and such for those two weeks since they couldn’t leave the house even for essentials. But they never developed symptoms or tested positive. Two days after their quarantine was over the nationwide order to self isolate went into effect. So they’ve been quarantined for a month now. But still we haven’t heard of anyone testing positive. My wife works for a huge company and while there are a cases, she doesn’t know any of them.

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not ruling out that I and my mother didn't have mild cases of it. Mom was exposed to a sick person who has since recovered from covid symptoms, and I had dinner with my mom at some point a couple weeks ago, and then a few days later she was sick with mild symptoms that kind of seemed like it could've been coronavirus, and I also was terribly fatigued, had some breathing problems, and muscle and head pain. I may have had a fever but I don't have a thermometer so I don't know. It was probably nothing. Maybe my breath was short because of anxiety and the other symptoms were my imagination, but who knows. There needs to be an antibody test to determine if people who got sick, but never got tested, actually had the virus and are now immune. These would work to detect immunity in all the asymptomatic infections too.

Top Bottom