• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a case of Corona the other day. But I drank the whole thing and I actually felt pretty good.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went shopping today, only to find the meat section of my local supermarket all but cleaned out. Then I watched the news and found out what went down.

Full story here.

"When the poor shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich."

— Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now THAT'S the shit that really pisses me off. That sortof behavior ensures hundreds will go without until the store restocks. Some stores around here are imposing limits.

I hope somebody robs them.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I flew to Florida alone last Thursday to stay at my grandparents’ house for the March break (Canadian Spring break). Was supposed to be followed by a bunch of my cousins on Sunday, and some more family over this week. Then, fly home Monday (the 23rd).

Everyone has cancelled their flights... I think more-so because of the annoyance/fear of flying back than the scare of anything happening to them. But, nonetheless, I’m alone here.

I think my mom has been silently freaking out a bit - she has quite a bit of pressure as the president of a not huge, but international company that manufactures everything in China. She called out of the blue and it took her all of five minutes to book me a flight home Wednesday...

Apparently I’m gonna have to “self-quarantine” for the next two weeks once I get home. Won’t really be a problem as I presume social affairs will be at an all-time low, and my school is to be migrated online.

My dad’s store (fresh and frozen groceries, a family business) has been booming because of this whole thing, though! He did the business’ biggest day ever (in almost 70 years) by a margin of 30%. Unfortunately, his right-hand man (the only one competent enough to run the place without him) died suddenly a few weeks ago, so he’s been working his ass off exponentially more throughout all this. If the panic doesn’t die down (I think it will), I’ll probably be helping him out, too, (like the rest of my family...) for the next good while.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you have the ability to engage in mutual aid, please do so. Under quarantine, my neighborhood has come together and is figuring out what we can do to meet the needs of our community in these trying times. Most of this has been coordinated over the internet, but it's action that needs to be taken, especially for the more vulnerable in our community.

Here are a couple networks that I know of -

UK: https://covidmutualaid.org/

US: https://mutualaiddisasterrelief.org/

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
My point is going to an empty restaraunt to buy a gift card (or even get a carry out meal) Could theoretically be safer than a crowded grocery store, but I guess I'm not really qualified to actually make that claim.

But this isn't a very productive conversation.

theoretically it might be safer, but it is still a risk.  If you ask me, an unnecessary risk.  Going to the grocery may be theoretically riskier, but it is a necessary risk.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We've already been told to stop this discussion.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
this isn't a very productive conversation.

I think @"Possessed" had it right already.

EDIT: I wrote this before he replied. He’s still right.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I'll just post this here again. It looks like we're reaching into the do not zone.
TM2YC said:
DO NOT discuss: Politics, misinformation, conspiracy theries, your own medical opinions based on something you read on Facebook etc

If you want reliable information, I suggest accessing your local government resources (e.g. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ in the UK, https://www.usa.gov/coronavirus in the USA or wherever you live) and reputable news outlets, not social media.

Remember that everyone is doing the best they can. Let's all try to help each other out instead of splaining or educating someone else to what our personal ideas are.

posted my previous post before reading this.   Not sure where the line is between giving good, sound, logical advise(or may be even that isn't allowed) and "splaining" (whatever that is) or "educating someone else to what our personal ideas are" (whatever that is supposed to be).  But I will shut up now.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
posted my previous post before reading this.   Not sure where the line is between giving good, sound, logical advise(or may be even that isn't allowed) and "splaining" (whatever that is) or "educating someone else to what our personal ideas are" (whatever that is supposed to be).  But I will shut up now.

The idea is that this isn't meant to make someone think like anyone. When neither side can come to consensus after multiple back and forth communications it's more productive to agree to disagree and/or move the personal discussion to PMs.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stuckmann raises something I've been thinking about:

Movies are being delayed but they could also go straight to streaming, or never even see the light of day. I don't mind waiting at all but I'd be upset if I never got the opportunity to see something like the new Bond on the big screen.

I was recently watching this interview with Tim Minchin where he talks about his $100m all-star animated film 'Larrikin' being shelved when it was 75% done just so it could be written off as a loss against a studio merger (about 13-mins in). I suspect this sort of thing could be the fate of a few movies this year (NSFW):

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
I had a case of Corona the other day. But I drank the whole thing and I actually felt pretty good.

so you had a case of the Corona and lime disease.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I was recently watching this interview with Tim Minchin where he talks about his $100m all-star animated film 'Larrikin' being shelved when it was 75% done just so it could be written off as a loss against a studio merger (about 13-mins in). I suspect this sort of thing could be the fate of a few movies this year (NSFW).

Are you saying that they can make more money off a flop than they can off a hit?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I was recently watching this interview with Tim Minchin where he talks about his $100m all-star animated film 'Larrikin' being shelved when it was 75% done just so it could be written off as a loss against a studio merger (about 13-mins in). I suspect this sort of thing could be the fate of a few movies this year (NSFW).

I bet Disney is kicking themselves for saying a few weeks ago that New Mutants will definitely be released in theatres and not dumped on Hulu/Disney+/VOD.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
TM2YC said:

Are you saying that they can make more money off a flop than they can off a hit?

Spring time for Hitler and Germany . . .

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sheesh, you guys are something else. I presume most of us here like movies. If you’re like me you like to support the local independent theaters. They will be among the hardest hit by this. The multiplexes are corporations that can most likely be okay. But those local theaters that movie lovers love? They are going to have a hard time. If you can buy some future tickets via gift cards now, you’ll help them make it through this. And yes, I guarantee you that any potentially struggling theater, even if they dont sell gift cards online would be thrilled to sell you one by phone. I didn’t think that sentiment would be controversial. Okay back to your regularly scheduled programming.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Went into school today, and literally every single person went on about, we were all told if any of our family members that we live with have any symptoms we have to self isolate with them as well.
Half way through the day, half my class had left.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Sheesh, you guys are something else. I presume most of us here like movies. If you’re like me you like to support the local independent theaters. They will be among the hardest hit by this. The multiplexes are corporations that can most likely be okay. But those local theaters that movie lovers love? They are going to have a hard time. If you can buy some future tickets via gift cards now, you’ll help them make it through this. And yes, I guarantee you that any potentially struggling theater, even if they dont sell gift cards online would be thrilled to sell you one by phone. I didn’t think that sentiment would be controversial. Okay back to your regularly scheduled programming.

TOO POLITICAL. MOD INTERVENTION PLZ

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
giphy.gif

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find it very interesting whenever I see people debating about what places they should/shouldn't go to, considering I can't even walk to the supermarket without a cop asking me for my papers and reasons why I'm out of the house. Like, take a moment to appreciate when making these choices that you still have the ability to choose.

Quarantine isn't fun guys. Please stay clean and healthy, you really don't want to be in a mandatory nationwide lockdown right now.

Top Bottom