• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This um...hasn't stopped me from going to restaurants or movie theaters. Maybe I should be more careful. Maybe.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well it was reported that someone in my town has tested positive for Covid 19.     I am staying home and inside as much as possible.    My church has cancelled services for right now and everything in NJ and Philly are closing.     This is insane.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
Well it was reported that someone in my town has tested positive for Covid 19.     I am staying home and inside as much as possible.    My church has cancelled services for right now and everything in NJ and Philly are closing.     This is insane.

Stay safe!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
If you have a favorite restaurant or movie theater it whatever, consider buying gift certificates now. Give them away or save them for when you can go. Many of those businesses will be hard pressed and that little advance payment could be the difference.

I love how everyone is talking about how to stay safe, then @"Moe_Syzlak" comes in talking about your favourite restaurant and movie theaters.

He's talking about buying gift certificates to support them, not actually going to them.  It's very good advice if there's a local business that you want to help keep in business.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
SonofSinbad said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
If you have a favorite restaurant or movie theater it whatever, consider buying gift certificates now. Give them away or save them for when you can go. Many of those businesses will be hard pressed and that little advance payment could be the difference.

I love how everyone is talking about how to stay safe, then @"Moe_Syzlak" comes in talking about your favourite restaurant and movie theaters.

He's talking about buying gift certificates to support them, not actually going to them.  It's very good advice if there's a local business that you want to help keep in business.

Yes I know I was just saying it to get the reputation points :)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will still get carry out from my favorite places.

I mean that's all I'm allowed to do anyway. But I would have anyway

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The six core San Francisco Bay Area counties just issued a mandatory shelter in place order, beginning midnight tonight, for a tentative minimum of three weeks. Only "essential" government, food, hardware, etc. businesses are to remain open, with restaurants going takeout-only. Outdoor exercise is exempted, though all are ordered to remain six feet apart at all times, which seems to make zero sense for people who live together, apart from setting an example for others. Oy.

Welp, time to get back to that Film World War editing...

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
SonofSinbad said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

I hope he is talking about buying the gift certificates online, because otherwise you would have to go to the restaurant/theater to get them and risk acquiring the virus.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do have to say thank God that this is happening today and not 30 years before the internet and before we had all the gadgets to go online with and before we had all online resources we have today.   Imagine all this happening before the 1990's, it would be a lot different.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It must be nice to be able to stock up on so much food and household items and be able to work from home and thus not have to go out until this is over, warbler, but some of us (or me at least) can't work from home and barely have enough money to buy food 2 days ahead, much left to stay home until the virus scare is over.

And us low life's in that category that have to unfortunately remain a part of the world.

And that means (besides having to go to work) we have to also go to a grocery store, which is already a thousand times more crowded than a small mom and pop restaraunt that is most likely empty except for kitchen staff anyway.

You do realize in most cases the restaraunts will be empty anyway right? Plus like I said some people already have to keep going out to continue being alive and going to an empty restaraunt is way safer than the other stuff we'll have to do anyway.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In fact, I don't even have food for TOMORROW. But I still have to work. I've got a tad bit of money left but I have to spend almost all of it on other things besides food just to stay alive. And the little bit I have left won't make it practical to actually try to go grocery shopping in any substantial way, especially with how crowded and everything stores are right now. So tomorrow I will GLADLY get some carry out from the local Mexican place down the street. At the moment it's actually the safest way I could possibly even have food tomorrow. And it will help the sweet Mexican family that runs the place and calls me by name when I walk in the door and already knows I want a cup of their house spicy sauce as well, and that's even better. I'm sure this will be a tight time for them.

Now in a few days I should be able to go grocery shopping a LITTLE bit, but not for a months worth of food.

The reality for some of us is that we can't possibly just stay locked in our room for the next month, sadly.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, and people hoarding is only making things more difficult for people in Posessed's position; if your budget only allows you to buy in small quantities (or if you are walking/taking public transit so you can't carry much), you need to have access to what you need when you need it. I am especially concerned for all of the people living paycheck-to-paycheck, behind on rent, employed in the service industry or gig economy who suddenly have no income. Things are about to get much harder for a lot of people.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes. People hoarding it is really making it hard for me to get stuff.

And I'm actually one of the lucky ones because I do in home care for people who absolutely couldn't survive without me and my colleagues, so my work will be as steady as always so at least I will have an income. Even if it is hard for me to get stuff thanks to people who hoarded enough of everything to not leave their house for 2 months.

People whose job is taken away now are going to have it even way worse than people like me.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
so all REgal cinema locations in the USA wil be closed indefinitely starting tuesday may 17, on advisement from white house

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
It must be nice to be able to stock up on so much food and household items and be able to work from home and thus not have to go out until this is over, warbler, but some of us (or me at least) can't work from home and barely have enough money to buy food 2 days ahead, much left to stay home until the virus scare is over.

And us low life's in that category that have to unfortunately remain a part of the world.

And that means (besides having to go to work) we have to also go to a grocery store, which is already a thousand times more crowded than a small mom and pop restaraunt that is most likely empty except for kitchen staff anyway.

You do realize in most cases the restaraunts will be empty anyway right? Plus like I said some people already have to keep going out to continue being alive and going to an empty restaraunt is way safer than the other stuff we'll have to do anyway.
  1.  I didn't call anyone a low life, nor did I think it.
  2. Not sure why you are coming after me.
  3. I haven't stock piled anything.  We have only purchased our normal amount of groceries.   We and stuff in our freezer, but we always do and a reasonable supply of things like toilet paper but  no more than what we normally have.
  4. I am sorry for those that can't work from home.  Of course this is most difficult on them and especially on those that " barely have enough money to buy food 2 days ahead"   They have my utmost sympathy.  I never meant to imply otherwise.  Nonetheless, I would still advise against going out unnecessarily.  If you have to go out to remain alive, course do so, with caution(like keeping your distance from others and washing hands).  Otherwise don't out and that includes restaurants/theaters even to get gift certificates(get them online if possible.
  5. Yes, the online resources won't work for all cases and for all people, nonetheless,  overall we as a society are better off that this is happening today as compared to if it happened in the 1980's or before.  

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
The reality for some of us is that we can't possibly just stay locked in our room for the next month, sadly.

I know and understand that.  If you have to go out, go out.  If you don't, don't.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well you specifically advised against going and buying a gift card in person from a restaraunt, and since that is obviously less crowded that pretty clearly implied you won't be going to grocery stores.

But anyway that was why I mentioned your name. The rest of the post wasn't an attack on you.

I know you didn't call anyone a low life, I was merely saying that's how it feels to be in this situation when I see people getting everything off the shelves and I can only afford scraps.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually I was at a grocery store, yesterday.    I will probably be going once a week(as we usually do).    My reason for advising to not go in person to get a gift card is simply to avoid unnecessarily.  Going to grocery store is necessary as one needs to have food.  One does not need to buy a gift card.  Also many places offer the option of buying gift cards online.     Our grocery was out of and low on somethings, but not everything.    I am sure some are worse.   I advise against stockpiling, think of others.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My point is going to an empty restaraunt to buy a gift card (or even get a carry out meal) Could theoretically be safer than a crowded grocery store, but I guess I'm not really qualified to actually make that claim.

But this isn't a very productive conversation.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll just post this here again. It looks like we're reaching into the do not zone.
TM2YC said:
DO NOT discuss: Politics, misinformation, conspiracy theries, your own medical opinions based on something you read on Facebook etc

If you want reliable information, I suggest accessing your local government resources (e.g. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ in the UK, https://www.usa.gov/coronavirus in the USA or wherever you live) and reputable news outlets, not social media.

Remember that everyone is doing the best they can. Let's all try to help each other out instead of splaining or educating someone else to what our personal ideas are.

Top Bottom