• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The earliest my kids will return to school here in Germany is April 20. But that prior week was supposed to be spring break. I’m not optimistic that they’ll be returning then either. The school is planning a distance/online learning program to support the kids while they’re out, but I’m still unsure what that will look like. If that program isn’t very robust I’ll put together a homeschool program for them. My wife is working from home as well but she’ll need to be working full time and not able to assist with the kids. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I’m most concerned about all the activities being canceled. No sports will be tough for them.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm in the UK and the schools have not shut yet (at least the college I go to).

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My school has no plans for online classes during this time, I'm assuming that they'll just cancel April break to make up for it. Which is kinda annoying, because my father specifically took that week off from work to spend time with me. But it's not a huge concern. And there is still a chance that they won't cancel it. I have no idea what's going to happen.
I will try to spend some of this time working on editing, I just need a good idea that's within my skill that I won't give up on.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The German public schools won’t have any online learning either. Our kids are in a private international school paid for by my wife’s company as part of the compensation package for the expat job. I think they basically had to come up with something or families would’ve been demanding money back. I’m glad for it, but I still don’t know how extensive it will be. I’m not wild about seven year olds spending all day on screens even if it is school.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CatBus said:
I'm about to get an excruciating reminder of how crappy my home Internet service is.  And to top it off, I'll be using it to support others whose home WiFi is even crappier, trying to telework until one of the networks between them and their jobs falls over from the unprecedented load.

On the upside, I'll more than likely be doing it in my pajamas, eating nachos.

The mental image of a biomechanical felinoid in pajamas, eating nachos has made my day.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
I think we can all get on board with you not doing that.

Duragizer said:
CatBus said:
I'm about to get an excruciating reminder of how crappy my home Internet service is.  And to top it off, I'll be using it to support others whose home WiFi is even crappier, trying to telework until one of the networks between them and their jobs falls over from the unprecedented load.

On the upside, I'll more than likely be doing it in my pajamas, eating nachos.

The mental image of a biomechanical felinoid in pajamas, eating nachos has made my day.

I know it's not a typical answer to "what would you do if you could turn invisible", but staying in your pajamas all day and eating copious amounts of nachos without shame or napkins is probably closer to what people would actually do than many of the others.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm in Spain, we just got quarantined yesterday. Things are still relatively calm, everyone in the country is applauding every night at 10 for the health and sanitation workers making all this possible and keeping us safe.

https://invidio.us/watch?v=uNLVvAKE9ek[/video]

We're down to 2 rolls of toilet paper, so being very conservative with the paper to stave off needing to go outside to the shops.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I'm in Spain, we just got quarantined yesterday. Things are still relatively calm, everyone in the country is applauding every night at 10 for the health and sanitation workers making all this possible and keeping us safe.

We're down to 2 rolls of toilet paper, so being very conservative with the paper to stave off needing to go outside to the shops.

I'm glad your still alive and healthy.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
Zamros said:

I'm glad your still alive and healthy.
You too! Stay clean, stay healthy, stay alive.

Venceremos. (Translation: "We shall overcome")

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
89354030-2948535608514987-907429050937507840-n.png

Several community-acquired cases here in San Francisco. Virtually all schools have been closed/"moving online," whatever that will turn out to mean, for the next few weeks (in my case, the remainder of the semester). I'm very concerned for my catering coworkers for whom that's their primary income... I'll likely take an income hit this summer, unless I DoorDash or something, but I can manage; I'm more worried about those who maybe can't.

I'm also hoping to take the final nursing exam in the next month or so, as soon as the state bureaucracy clears my paperwork... This is really the best time in my cohort's 2.5 year course for something like this to happen and shut down clinical rotations, as we haven't had any since last year, and aren't supposed to again until the fall, so in that respect, I feel fairly fortunate.

Growing up in SF, one hears all one's life that a major and potentially devastating earthquake could strike at any moment, and indeed we're overdue for one. (The last major one was in '89, which I dimly remember, but it wasn't anywhere near as strong as the legendary 1906 one.) And so I guess this is an earthquake of a sort, albeit a slow-moving and global one...

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Schools are closed for at least two weeks.  Fortunately my wife's school also is closed for two weeks, so she's home with the girls for the time being.  We've had some people at work that are now self-quarantined and working from home, it feels like only a matter of time before the whole office is doing so.  I'm pretty well set up for it, often do some work from home on weekends.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here in Illinois all bars are closed and all restaraunts are only allowed to offer pickup/delivery. Hopefully it helps. As long as I can still buy liquor and Chinese food to take home I'll live.

It doesn't do me much good to worry about whether or not I'm going to get it. I work in Healthcare so no matter how much precautions I take if I'm going to get it I'm going to get it. I'm only 26 and healthy so it probably wouldn't do much if I got it anyway. But I certainly wouldn't want to unintentionally pass it on to someone more vulnerable so I don't mind the shutdowns.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Here in Illinois all bars are closed and all restaraunts are only allowed to offer pickup/delivery. Hopefully it helps. As long as I can still buy liquor and Chinese food to take home I'll live.

It doesn't do me much good to worry about whether or not I'm going to get it. I work in Healthcare so no matter how much precautions I take if I'm going to get it I'm going to get it. I'm only 26 and healthy so it probably wouldn't do much if I got it anyway. But I certainly wouldn't want to unintentionally pass it on to someone more vulnerable so I don't mind the shutdowns.

Yeah, think of 80 year old Frink!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I now have three weeks off rather than two, might end up being more.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm now working from home for the foreseeable future. Worried about distractions and cabin fever.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did someone say... cabin fever?!?!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you have a favorite restaurant or movie theater it whatever, consider buying gift certificates now. Give them away or save them for when you can go. Many of those businesses will be hard pressed and that little advance payment could be the difference.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
If you have a favorite restaurant or movie theater it whatever, consider buying gift certificates now. Give them away or save them for when you can go. Many of those businesses will be hard pressed and that little advance payment could be the difference.

I love how everyone is talking about how to stay safe, then @"Moe_Syzlak" comes in talking about your favourite restaurant and movie theaters.

Top Bottom