• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shakespeare's Globe Theatre has put up their full 3-hour 2009 production of 'Romeo & Juliet' for free on youtube. A donation is optional if you want to support them through this difficult period:

It's not the first time that Shakespeare's Theatre has been closed due to the plague :D .

I watched 'Merchant of Venice' there many years ago, it was great seeing a WS play in the open air, in daylight as it would have been performed originally but god did my feet ache after several hours of standing in the peasant pit. I should have paid extra for a seat ;) .

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I watched 'Merchant of Venice' there many years ago, it was great seeing a WS play in the open air, in daylight as it would have been performed originally but god did my feet ache after several hours of standing in the peasant pit. I should have paid extra for a seat ;) .

I saw a performance of As You Like It and kept trying to find places to lean against to take the weight off my feet, but theater staff kept telling me off for doing so. The globe is an awesome experience, but comfortable footwear is a necessity. Might just stick some strips of memory foam in my boots next time (And see a play that I like better tbh)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
screen-shot-2020-04-21-at-4-31-34-pm.png

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They are saying May 15 for loosening of the isolation. We already have a sitter for that night. :D

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On this fraught May Day, as with every May Day, we come together to celebrate the greatest song ever written, accompanied by history's greatest music video: The Safety Dance, by Men Without Hats. :D

I'd pay good money for an HD upload of this music video. I'm talking at least five bucks.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Put together 100 supply boxes at the food bank today, gonna get those out to people tomorrow.

It's hard work, especially with the language-barrier, but it's well worth the effort. Que viva apoyo mutuo!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been thinking of this clip from a movie I haven't even seen a lot lately... but the mods won't let me say why: :p

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Been thinking of this clip from a movie I haven't even seen a lot lately... but the mods won't let me say why: :p

And yet we all know more or less why, so it probably wasn't all that necessary to elaborate.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That link to the country-by-country status over time chart is still active, albeit cluttered:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/covid19-coronavirus-countries-infection-trajectory/

Places where things appear to be heading in a positive direction: East Asia, Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, etc), and Europe (except Russia, the UK, and Sweden).  I'm hoping these countries will serve as examples of how to address this crisis for the rest of the world.

Places where it looks like a few more weeks of serious, disciplined effort could get things heading in a positive direction: North America (except Mexico), the UK, and Sweden.  Working harder to follow the public health models provided by Europe and East Asia seems the obvious choice.

Places where the trend looks bad and it appears something big needs to change: South and Central Asia, the Middle East, South America, Russia, Mexico, and there's not a lot of data from Africa but I'll include it from what we see in Egypt and South Africa.  Both Russia and Mexico have gone from relatively quiet (especially considering their proximity to hotspots) to serious concerns pretty quickly.  So as a lesson in what NOT to do, don't simply restrict foreign travel while your caseload is low and declare mission accomplished.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Our local playground (Waldheim) opened today. Biergartens are opening next week. Tourism is supposed to open in the next few weeks. Hopefully we won’t see a spike in cases that causes things to further restrict. Of course it doesn’t help that as Germany is reopening you have 300k protesting to reopen. Goes to show that COVIDiocy isn’t just an American phenomenon.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The country is starting to reopen again, but the city I'm in is still on lockdown. What I'd give to get a cold lager from a local bar again.... Only protests here have been socially distanced and for good reasons (was at a protest against femicide recently) so it's not all bad.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For us it seems the Biergartens will open just in time for the German Vatertag, or Father’s Day. I’ve been learning about this. Here in Germany Mother’s Day is pretty much the same as it is in the States. But Father’s Day, Father’s Day is very different. For Vatertag, fathers get together, without their children mind you, and get totally shitfaced, while walking around town towing a wagon filled with beer and stopping at every Biergarten. So I’ve got that to look forward to.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EsquireUK are following their lockdown Pierce Brosnan commentary with Director Bruce Robinson on 'Withnail & I' (in a couple of days time). Hopefully he's got some great anecdotes :)

9873812_orig.jpg

VREQXqkk8nQjU4A6A4VSwPztYPUkfiRwxJD_03QF2h8uZiwKENqKlJFiXulrHOcs40xNFmDnG75h3QGpvdSAs7myP85RHtXXsJogJfCxM-Ymjh59FPP4KkRx-ia1tB3GDnLV_E3srazgsVtOqBGMYTC2ZGbIbvAfLkUSO7_hqaqVWljxjM0

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I spoke too soon when I said there weren't any anti-lockdown protests in the Spanish state. The chuds are out again :/

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
great news, so even though i have gone from 40 hours a week down to 25 and summer coming which means its gonna get slower
my boss got one of those loans, so for the next 4 checks evry single employee gets paid their full hours, so i will have 80 hours every check instead of just 60.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife works for the international admissions dept of a local university and has been furloughed to part-time until August 1st, starting today. Similar to many other educational facilities unsure as to what the next semester might look like, she has been advised by her supervisor, unofficially, to start looking for a new job.

We sold our house a few months ago and couldn't find a place to buy, so we're renting now. The rent is higher than our mortgage was, but other expenses have gone down, I suppose (outside activities, gas, car maintenance, childcare, etc). Still, losing a quarter of our income is a blow, made manageable by the money in savings from the house sale (which was going to go towards a new house next year).

My job appears to be safe at least - homelessness is not going out of fashion anytime soon. Still, feeling bummed right now.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
My wife works for the international admissions dept of a local university and has been furloughed to part-time until August 1st, starting today. Similar to many other educational facilities unsure as to what the next semester might look like, she has been advised by her supervisor, unofficially, to start looking for a new job.

We sold our house a few months ago and couldn't find a place to buy, so we're renting now. The rent is higher than our mortgage was, but other expenses have gone down, I suppose (outside activities, gas, car maintenance, childcare, etc). Still, losing a quarter of our income is a blow, made manageable by the money in savings from the house sale (which was going to go towards a new house next year).

My job appears to be safe at least - homelessness is not going out of fashion anytime soon. Still, feeling bummed right now.
I'm sorry this is happening pal, wishing you and your family all the best. :heart:

Is there a tenants' union in your area? If so, they may be able to offer help with your renting situation.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks. We'll cope - the house sale provides a nice cushion but it wasn't supposed to be dipped into so soon. We're certainly better off than a few friends who have been furloughed 100% so I can't really complain too much.

I think I'd feel better if it would just stop f**king raining. I feel stir crazy as it is.

Top Bottom