• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

COPS Consecution

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Speaking of, do we have an idea/suggestion thread for the next one? I've got a couple concepts I'd like to pitch.

Not yet. Start a new thread. Let's hear it!

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My review I just posted:

A Day in the Life by Neglify (9.1/10)

Very well put together edit about my favorite John C. Reilly character. A solid short.

The end is troubling on a couple of different levels. On the level of what's going on, it hurts to see this happen to Jim. There's no resolution there. This is not a critique, however, that's just how that shit went down. The second level upon which this is troubling is a critique. Yes, there was only so much one could do with this story from the source. But, stylistically, it feels wrong to end so abruptly. It'd have been nice for a wind down. Maybe a snippet of "One Is the Lonliest Number" played over shots of the city, or something along those lines. Sorry, not trying to say how it should have been done, just saying it didn't feel right how it was done.

But I still loved this, great work.

The Element of Crime by That One Guy (8.5/10)

Well, very interesting short. Pi's a pretty crazy movie as is, so chopping it up and playing with the narrative, as the editor has done, makes it even crazier. It's kind of confusing at times, though I think that was probably intended. The decision to make this a silent is a cool one (and I appreciate the color tint). The use of title cards is skillful, though I think there might have been an over reliance, and I'm not sure completely bought the narrative. However, this is, nonetheless, great work.

Fatal Weapon by TMBTM (9/10)

Great short. I love me some Lethal Weapon so I thought this pretty cool. Though it's not exactly as fun as your typical Riggs adventure, that's not a fault because the editor was going for something more somber.

The ending is certainly clever, but I'm not sure it totally worked for me. Something didn't quite feel right, the flow wasn't quite there.

Still, a very good short.

Gordon: Year One by g1orkatsos 9.1/10

Very nice edit, highly enjoyable. Not much to say. Editing was pretty great. Narrative wasn't as great, though can't really blame the editor. Just a lot of things happening in a short amount of time. Doesn't matter, still really good.

Lahey by Adabisi (8.9/10)

Quite funny short. A nice change of pace from the other shorts. Story is fluid, good editing job, for sure. Very amusing.

The Naked Gun by matrixgrindhouse (7.6/10)

This is a tough one. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't easy to watch. I don't really blame the editor for this. He took up a thankless task, trying to make Naked Gun unfunny. The problem of course is that so much gets cut out that there is an abundance of jarring edits. Grindhousing it kind of disguised this, but it still didn't feel right.

The edit is fun though. There are some laughs to be had from how much certain scenes need to cut down to get rid of jokes. As well I enjoyed the noir treatment. Good work on a tough job.

Police Stories by Neglify (8.2/10)

Cool edit. Good fun. Editing is good, nice job condensing the stories. Problem lies with the narrative, or lack of it. I get that it's supposed to be extra short snippets of police work. But there's no coherence between them. Maybe if each showed a different part of the police process it would flow better. As well, while the short was supposed to be about police work in three different time periods, two of the are set in the early 70s. But I still very much enjoyed this.

Supercop by leery (8.9/10)

Very fun edit (nice considering my main issue with Robocop 2 is general lack of fun). Loved the intro especially and all of the cameos. The announcer maybe could have been better, though. There were also a few rough audio things here and there but nothing too bad. Narrative was a little wonky but I guess that's what happens when you condense like this. Overall, though, I really enjoyed this and would definitely watch some more Supercop adventures.

The Counterfeit Cop Caper by Me (not worth a score)

Yeah, this one's mine. In all seriousness, I'd actually like to take this opportunity to apologize for my edit. The picture quality is rather poor, due to a number of different things that I will all chalk up to me being a newbie and this being my first edit. I realized this right at the time for submission, and the only way I could have fixed it would have been starting from scratch. Maybe someday far in the future I'll do that, but it won't be soon. I put a good deal of time into this and I'm pretty proud of it, so I was and am very thankful that TMBTM decided to include it in this wonderful project. It's really a privilege to have my work amongst such talented individuals.

Great Consecution guys. I think I'll have to check out the older ones now. And I can't wait to see what we all come up with next.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome, thanks for the reviews Dom.

DominicCobb said:
A Day in the Life...

The end is troubling on a couple of different levels. On the level of what's going on, it hurts to see this happen to Jim. There's no resolution there. This is not a critique, however, that's just how that shit went down. The second level upon which this is troubling is a critique. Yes, there was only so much one could do with this story from the source. But, stylistically, it feels wrong to end so abruptly. It'd have been nice for a wind down. Maybe a snippet of "One Is the Lonliest Number" played over shots of the city, or something along those lines. Sorry, not trying to say how it should have been done, just saying it didn't feel right how it was done.

I had a lot of trouble with this ending. I originally tried to make Jim die by his own gun, but it was too sloppy and I didn't have enough time to put the effort needed to make it work.

DominicCobb said:
Police Stories...

Problem lies with the narrative, or lack of it. I get that it's supposed to be extra short snippets of police work. But there's no coherence between them. Maybe if each showed a different part of the police process it would flow better. As well, while the short was supposed to be about police work in three different time periods, two of the are set in the early 70s. But I still very much enjoyed this.

I originally had a 1930s segment using Dick Tracy but it went by too fast was a big meh. So I ditched this short and worked on a solo Zodiac tale. But I had trouble ending it so just cut it down to fit into this one. I wanted to go uncredited on it, list it as an Alan Smithee edit on IFDB. But TMBTM wouldn't let me do that. :(

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review [MENTION=27007]wayne.workman2012[/MENTION]! I'm glad you liked these so much, and thank you for the kind words about my shorts.

As a note, you can leave individual reviews for each short on their IFDB pages. If you go to the page for COPS and scroll down, you'll see "Additional Notes" with the list of shorts. Each one of those titles is a link to their own page.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've added my shorts to Vimeo and added them to their IFDB pages. I'm in the process of adding all the COPS shorts to Vimeo.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gordon Year One by g1orkatsos (Best Short Fan Edit 2013 nominee!)

Fatal Weapon by TMBTM

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Equation of Crime by That One Guy

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Counterfeit Crime Caper by DominicCobb

And with that, all of the COPS shorts are now on Vimeo! I want to upload Leeroy's Supercop to the FE Vimeo channel, just so that they're all there, but Leeroy's upload will be on his IFDB page.

If you haven't watched these yet, check them out!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oops, the Vimeo channel got shut down. Oh well, I tried.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lahey now available for streaming.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for your review, [MENTION=17386]Vultural[/MENTION]. I'm not sure if I could have stretched it out to TV length. The brainwashing and baseball stuff... I just don't think there's any way I could recut that stuff into anything halfway-serious. May be worth trying some day, though.

Top Bottom