• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

COPS Consecution

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a quote from gatos review at IMDB for The Equation of Crime by That One Guy

Video quality was fine save for a few random times where it seemed like a flash of red came on the upper quarter of the screen for a frame or two-

I'll check again but I think this is my fault. It happens with my workflow sometimes when I'm rendering a video in a certain way.
I had to re-render this short fanedit before making the DVD (to convert the fanedit that That One Guy gave me) and I used this problematic method because it was easier to me and that problem is very rare anyway. I guess it was one of those time when it happened and I did not see it.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lahey by Adabisi 8.6/10
- I love comedy shows and I've heard of Trailer Park Boys through word of mouth but I've never actually watched any of it, so I had no idea what to expect going into this.
- Pretty funny, and pretty much invisible editing
- Excellent work

Fatal Weapon by TMBTM 8.8/10
- Wasn't sure what to expect going into this one. But I loved TMBTM's previous short, “Iron Blood”.
This was very well done. The ending was cool (IMO, two interpretations 1) it's a flashback 2) he's in heaven).

The Naked Gun by matrixgrindhouse 6.4/10
- I could have done with out the excessive grain and lines and scratches etc., but it wasn't too distracting, just my opinion
- I realize this edit must have been tricky since the editor had to cut out the comedy and jokes but some of the dialogue felt a little abrupt – like because it had to be cut together, it didn't have natural pauses, it felt a bit too quick, if that makes any sense. The audio editing other than that was fine, nothing jarring other than what was mentioned. Also, I guess it fits the style of what matrixgrindhouse was going for but at the same time giving it the old-feel effects to the video and audio to patch over most of the cuts seemed kind of lazy for lack of a better word. No offense intended to matrixgrindhouse but I think using the grindhouse effects a bit more sparingly would have been better (“a little goes a long way” as they say)
- This was a really ambitious idea but it didn't really work for me, a non-grindhoused version with more straight forward editing might have been more appealing to me (I can't speak for anyone else).

Police Stories by Neglify 8.6/10
- Training Day was one of my favorite movies, so I liked that it was used as an introduction
- Zodiac: It's been a long time since I've seen Zodiac (but I remember liking it). I enjoyed this one. It lacked action which isn't a bad thing, just two detectives investigating. It felt like it could have been a scene from an episode of a TV show.
- Minority Report: This was another good short. Right to the point, and a story with a resolution.
- The French Connection: Another movie that I love. “Have you been picking your feet in Poughkeepsie?” This short was my least favorite of the three.
- Nice choice of song for the end credits

A Day in the Life by Neglify 8.5/10
- I love Magnolia, Tom Cruise's best acting performance IMO. When I saw that Neglify was going to do a short with John C. Reilly's character, it sounded like a damn fine idea. Like the funny/sad sequence where he talks as if he is on a COPS reality show.
- Although there is no real resolution, the ending was still good

Gordon Year One by g1orkatsos 9.4/10
- Excellent introduction and opening credits
- Great narrative and good choice for the ending
- Editing was pretty much invisible to me
- Nice work g1or!

The Counterfeit Cop Caper by DominicCobb 8.7/10
- Nice music choices, gave it a 70s feel
- If I'm nitpicking the sound levels could be adjusted just a bit as far as music vs. dialogue, but it wasn't jarring or anything but occasionally the dialogue was hard to hear, I guess it was necessary to hide center track spillage as far as the original music
- Some pixellation/artifacts (no idea if this is due to the full DVD encoding, or the fanedit short itself, or maybe the conversion to black&white?) throughout the edit
- I rewatched the the scenes in The Town that were used in this edit. Very nice editing with regards to intercutting of the scenes discussing the job and the heist itself
- Was that song near the end from Le Samourai?
- Narrative-wise this was excellent, nicely done

Supercop by leeroy 8.5/10
- Interesting touch with having Anchorman News Intro on the TV (works good with “turn that shit off”)
- I noticed you also mixed in some scenes from other movies
- Cool opening credits sequence (although the voice over was amateurish but I guess cheesiness works with this edit!) and I can't fault leeroy, not everyone is [MENTION=4689]ThrowgnCpr[/MENTION] and hires a professional voice over actor!
- lol at the last actor credited (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the edit)
- at times it seemed like the audio transitions could have been smoothed out a bit
- lol at the coca-cola commercial, clever
- Overall this was a fun edit

The Equation of Crime by That One Guy 8.5/10
- Interesting introduction to lay the ground work (and nice to have scenes accompanying the text)
cool song as well
- Video quality was fine save for a few random times where it seemed like a flash of red came on the upper quarter of the screen for a frame or two *This was a result of the encoding of the DVD and not the fault of the editor*
- Music choices were great and IMO conveyed the meaning and feeling of the scenes
- Overall I enjoyed this short. Very “outside the box” and clever idea to use a movie about a man obsessed with numbers/solving an equation and change it into a man obsessed with solving a crime.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
- Was that song near the end from Le Samourai?
Yep, the last two tracks, actually. Love that movie.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
This is a quote from gatos review at IMDB for The Equation of Crime by That One Guy

I'll check again but I think this is my fault. It happens with my workflow sometimes when I'm rendering a video in a certain way.
I had to re-render this short fanedit before making the DVD (to convert the fanedit that That One Guy gave me) and I used this problematic method because it was easier to me and that problem is very rare anyway. I guess it was one of those time when it happened and I did not see it.

I guess I should be deducting a point on Video Quality for Fatal Weapon as retribution!

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a misunderstanding about 'source' policy. I had been told that since fanedits often comprise small video or audio clips from many sources, the 'own the source' can be reasonably interpreted as owning the primary source that comprises the majority of the edit.

That's easy to determine for single movie edits. But I mistakenly extrapolated this to mean that no source material was required to view a consecution since for example, no source makes up even 10% of this edit. It was pointed out to me in another thread that this is not true.

So....what should I own before viewing this edit? Some of the shorts don't even list their source material (Police Stories and The Equation of Crime), Trailer Park Boys went on for 7 seasons but presumably only a single episode or season was used, and I think there have been several different Batman cartoons over the years. The amazon link at ifdb for this edit just goes to the tv show Cops, so not really helpful.

I know it's all on the honor system so everybody is kinda free to do their own thing and people just prefer to not talk about this because it generally just increases risk of getting in trouble, but I don't actually know what the right answer is, so it would help me to have it laid out more specifically in this case since this edit is somewhat atypical.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am one of the sources used, but I am not for sail.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
I had a misunderstanding about 'source' policy. I had been told that since fanedits often comprise small video or audio clips from many sources, the 'own the source' can be reasonably interpreted as owning the primary source that comprises the majority of the edit.

That's easy to determine for single movie edits. But I mistakenly extrapolated this to mean that no source material was required to view a consecution since for example, no source makes up even 10% of this edit. It was pointed out to me in another thread that this is not true.

So....what should I own before viewing this edit? Some of the shorts don't even list their source material (Police Stories and The Equation of Crime), Trailer Park Boys went on for 7 seasons but presumably only a single episode or season was used, and I think there have been several different Batman cartoons over the years. The amazon link at ifdb for this edit just goes to the tv show Cops, so not really helpful.

I know it's all on the honor system so everybody is kinda free to do their own thing and people just prefer to not talk about this because it generally just increases risk of getting in trouble, but I don't actually know what the right answer is, so it would help me to have it laid out more specifically in this case since this edit is somewhat atypical.

I thought they were listed elsewhere, but the IFDB listings for the shorts that make up the consecution list the sources - not so useful for Trailer Park Boys, admittedly, but it solves the problem for the film-based ones.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
So....what should I own before viewing this edit?

Ok, I don't know how will react the other admins, but here are my thoughts about it:

In my opinion the "you need to own the source material" source is made so the copyright owers do not loose money because of fanedits.
In short: we don't want people to download a fanedit and make it a replacement movie without buying the original one.
(and this site is not about downloads anyway, YOU download if you want to)

In the case of short fanedits one could say that it's a bit different because a 15 minutes movie could not seriously be taken as a "replacement" of the original one, but I think that we need to keep the "own the source material" as much as possible. It's an honnor system, yes. That means we can't be sure everyone own everything, of course, but that means that you need to own what you think you need to be "clean" in regard of the copyright owners.

It's a bit tricky sometime because, let's say you saw Magnolia in theater and you know that you will never buy this movie... Personnaly, if a faneditor is making a full lenght version of Magnolia that I know could be a replacement movie for me: I known I will buy the DVD in order to watch the fanedit. In this case a fanedit can even brings unexpected money to the original copyright owners! :)
If this is for a 15 minutes short edit... well, I understand someone who could maybe not buy it because the short edit will not be a replacement. So the copyright owner would not loose money anyway because of it.

But this just a thinking of mine and the "own the souce" rule of this site still applies.

I would say that, depending on how you value your "honnor", it's better if you own the main movies (that are listed at least on each individual short fanedit IFDB page) use as a base for each short fanedit.
If a short fanedit uses bits and pieces of other movies here and there it's also better if you own them but, IMO, it's not an obligation as I think it falls under "fair use".

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That said... there are full lenght fanedits that are not meant to be replacement movies...
That's why to keep it simple the rule still applies.
You just need to value your honnor yourself.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy said:
I thought they were listed elsewhere, but the IFDB listings for the shorts that make up the consecution list the sources - not so useful for Trailer Park Boys, admittedly, but it solves the problem for the film-based ones.

http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/component/content/article/86-fanedit-listings/shorts/977-lahey

Editing Details:
Edited with clips from the episodes "The Delusions of Officer Jim Lahey", "A Shit Leopard Can't Change Its Spots" and "Halloween 1977". The timeless classic "Liquor & Whores" by Bubbles & The Shit Rockers from the Trailer Park Boys: The Movie OST was added to the closing credits.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 to TMBTM's feelings.

And dude, I clearly listed the source movies for "Police Stories".

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wait, who wouldn't want to buy Magnolia?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Wait, who wouldn't want to buy Magnolia?

Damn, it's taking every ounce of will power to not hijack this thread with Frank Mackey quotes. Let's just sat anyone who doesn't want to buy Magnolia: I am quietly judging you.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I agree with Gator, lets sat
Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't want to buy Magnolia

I already own it
I still don't like it

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds pretty coo! So how do you get to be a part of the consecution? Is it like a contest to gain entry and are there qualifications to do so?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just make your short on time before the deadlines and make it good. There is a run time limit averaging 15mins I guess across the consecutions. Video and audio quality have to be good. The rules are usually slightly different for each consecution and are made by whomever is in charge of the project (usually TMBTM these days). This consecution is all done, but a new one will inevitably be started at some point and if that project is something you think you`ll be able to have fun with making a short then you should have a go at making a contribution. I don't think it's required that you be an approved faneditor to take part in a consecution.

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh cool! Yeah I'll be on the lookout for the next consecution. Thanks [MENTION=8885]Rogue-theX[/MENTION]!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of, do we have an idea/suggestion thread for the next one? I've got a couple concepts I'd like to pitch.

Top Bottom