• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

COPS Consecution

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
COPS Consecution

azre.jpg

This is the seventh Consecution project done with several faneditors joining to create short fanedits about a theme.
This time it was "COPS".
No more than 16 minutes by fanedits.

- LAHEY, by Adabisi: A fanedit of the Trailer Park Boys (a Canadian comedy mockumentary television series)

- FATAL WEAPON by TMBTM: A fanedit of Lethal Weapon.

- THE NAKED GUN by Matrixgrindehouse. A fanedit of The Naked Gun without most of the jokes (but still fun because of it)

- POLICE STORIES by Neglify: Three vignettes about cops doing their jobs.

- A DAY IN THE LIFE by Neglify: John C. Reilly's story line from Magnolia, minus Claudia. Oh and there's absolutely no resolution to this story. Happens sometimes.

- GORDON YEAR ONE by g1orkatsos: Gordon's story from the Batman's cartoon.

- THE COUNTERFEIT COP CAPER by DominicCobb: The Town, black & White.

- SUPERCOP by Leeroy: Robocop as a 80's TV Series episode. Full of fun with some surprises.

- THE EQUATION OF CRIME by That One Guy: Trying to infiltrate the mind of a killer can be dangerous.

Availbility: DVD 5 on Mega. Send a PM to either Neglify or TMBTM for links.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
is it just me or is the title on the spine of that dvd insert upside down?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RollWave said:
is it just me or is the title on the spine of that dvd insert upside down?

Ha, I'm in France, most titles are like that over here. :p

More seriously, I can make it the other way around, you're right. It's a "mistake" I make almost every time when making DVD covers.

EDIT: and here it is
yxmu.jpg

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Nice cover! Looking forward to the finished product - and the next consecution!

Ditto that. They all sound interesting.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since Info is still down you all may be lost as to how to acquire this fanedit. Added to the first post:

TMBTM said:
Availbility: DVD 5 on Mega. Send a PM to either Neglify or TMBTM for links.

I am not afraid of Private Messages and I want many people to see this, so go ahead and send me a PM.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Everybody should check this one out. There are a lot of awesome shorts here!

Reviews left on IFDB.

-----

I think I’ve said this for the last couple Consecutions, but seriously folks. This is the best Consecution we’ve had here since Batman.

Gordon Year One by g1orkatsos – 9/10

A damn fine short, I loved how the narrative was condensed.

The Equation of Crime by That One Guy – 8/10

Well this was pretty trippy. Great editing work overall. The text cards worked with the narrative and had a nice stylistic flair to them, but for me I didn’t like having to read the story.

SuperCop by Leeroy – 8/10

I was pretty surprised how good this was. The last Leeroy edit I saw was The Killer Bride and he’s come quite a long way. This was an awesome ride! There were quite a few literal laugh out loud moments. And bravo for the editing in the shoot-out.

The audio editing was a bit sloppy though. Step up your game on that and you’ll be on fire.

Fatal Weapon by The Man Behind the Mask – 8/10

Overall ‘twas good times. The ending felt tacked on but it made sense. I liked it but I don’t know, I guess I just wanted more.

Lahey by Adabisi – 9/10

Great fawking short here boys. I mean Jesus fawk if I t'weren’ta a guy who watches the… you know… the original show… Uh… what was I saying? Oh cripes, my shit pool overflowed.

The Naked Gun by matrixgrindhouse – 6/10

I’m sad to say it, this was the stinker for me. I was intrigued by the concept and wasn’t sure how well it would work out. So yeah… turning Naked Gun into a serious story don’t work. There’s so much that’s cut that every cut is noticeable. The editor tried to cover that up with a sort of grindhouse treatment that felt awkward. I hate slamming fan edits and I loved MGH’s first edit and think he’s brilliant. This felt like a Frankenstein. Maybe it’ll be good for you, kind of in a midnite movie way.

The Counterfeit Cop Caper by DominicCobb – 10/10

Holy carp. This was perfect. Beautifully done black & white. Awesome music. Perfect editing. I would say I’m jealous that I didn’t make this, but the truth is I’m glad I never made this. Dom did it so much better.

This is the best of all the shorts in this project.

Recommended drink: Brutal Hammer

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh wow, thanks Neg!

Almost makes me want to do a real edit one of these days.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Consecutions are always a lot of fun and this one is no different. I love seeing the crazy ideas that everyone comes up with. Lots of variety and lots of quality shorts. Highly recommended.

Fatal Weapon 9.2/10
Nice little short. The ending came out of left field and was a cool surprise.

Gordon: Year One 9.3/10
Great to see an animated edit in the set. Great editing and great story. Well done.

The Equation of Crime 9.2/10
Madness! I was very skeptical about this at first, but That One Guy pulled it off with flying colours. Very creative and an great take on the story.

A Day In The Life 7.9/10
Starts out great, but I felt like I got blue balled just when it was getting good.

The Naked Gun 7.1/10
I loved the concept and the execution was fairly well done. I think there was far too much reliance on the grindhouse effects and the harsh audio cuts were all over the map. If this were played straight up, it would have been great.

Supercop 7.5/10
This was a lot of fun and really creative. I loved all the clips from other films tossed in. The narrative was a little disjointed and the audio editing was kind of rough, but this was fun.

The Counterfeit Crime Caper 8.3/10
I absolutely loved everything about this edit except for the B&W treatment. The blacks were too black and there was a lot of pixelization. Other than that, incredible work.

Police Stories 8.4/10
Interesting concept, but I would have rather seen one of them taken for the full length. Bonus point because KRS-One is awesome.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I haven't had a chance to view the Consecution just yet, but rest assured, I'll be posting reviews as soon as I have.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watching through everything, compiling my thoughts.
[MENTION=9491]leeroy[/MENTION],

It's amazing that you were able to work in the Abraham Lincoln gag from Police Squad. I cut humor from The Naked Gun, but it seems to have escaped into your work! Too funny.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

It's amazing that you were able to work in the Abraham Lincoln gag from Police Squad. I cut humor from The Naked Gun, but it seems to have escaped into your work! Too funny.

lol, i wondered how many people would get that gag and how many that wouldn't. the edit has very silly humour in the same style as police squad and as you've seen the electronic killer i wanted a similar tone / feel to that edit

if you have the links to your edit pm me as i'd like to take a look?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reminder: PM me or Neglify for links to the DVD.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lahey: Loved it!

Fatal Weapon: Not bad at all! I had a similar idea a while back only approached in a completely different way, stylistically, that didn't have the heart of TMBTM's attempt. Excellent job on this! Very good music choices.

The Naked Gun: This one didn't really do it for me, for reasons others have stated. But there were some great lol moments.

Police Stories: This one didn't really do it for me, just felt that more could have been done with it, I don't know what.

A Day In The life: F#*&ing decent!

Gordon Year One: F#*&ing decent!

The Counterfeit Cop Caper: I enjoyed this one immensely, a thrilling short start to finish! I wish the music was a bit lower in the mix but no big deal. Decent as hell!

Supercop: Another of Lee's off the wall edits, I wish it could have had more focus on the titular character and thought that there should have been just a little bit more explaining how he knew certain things. I liked this one so much I wish it could have been longer like an actual episode length.

The Equation Of Crime: I really liked it, but its also like a mystery wrapped inside of a riddle locked in an enigma hidden within the deepest inner mind. I loved the sound. Great work!

Great job, everyone! I had a good time watching these. :)

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Supercop: Another of Lee's off the wall edits, I wish it could have had more focus on the titular character and thought that there should have been just a little bit more explaining how he knew certain things. I liked this one so much I wish it could have been longer like an actual episode length.

cheers rogue, extended 21min episode is done and will be uploaded midweek. given that i have more time one or two audio problems have been fixed. thanks to everyone who has watched / reviewed this consecution :)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lee, I'd watch an entire season of Supercop. Between the trilogy and the Prime Directives miniseries, you've got plenty of material to work with. I'd love to see what else you can come up with.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gordon: Year One

Batman works surprisingly well from an outsider's perspective. Seeing things from a
normal Gothamite's perspective is neat. One good cop, surrounded by rampant
corruption. There's barely any Batman in this edit, actually. If his involvement
weren't so integral to the story, it may have worked better without his presence at
all. Still, we have a clear, concise story. It doesn't feel like anything is missing,
the editing is seamless. This is Jim Gordon's story, and it works very well.
Despite an environment of crime amidst crime fighters, and the increasingly odd face
of justice in the form of the Batman, there's still hope for good old fashioned
honest police work.

8/10

Supercop:

Fun! I'm not much of a fan of Robocop 2. To my surprise, I wound up enjoying it as
a condensed TV episode, much more than as a feature film. The use of multiple
sources, music, and sound effects really do a great job of capturing the feeling the
editor was going for. I would have liked to have heard the Animated Series’
narration in place of the custom one recorded for this edit, and maybe some bits and
pieces from the infamous edited for TV versions of the first film. Regardless, this
is an amusing and entertaining edit. I'd like to see more episodes in the future!
And indeed, that's what this edit's about. I think. Though technology changes, and
society changes along with it, some patterns will always be there. The pursuit of
law-breaking dangers to society, to serve, protect, and uphold - that won't change.
There will just probably be a lot more cyborgs.

10/10

The Counterfeit Cop Caper:

Catchy Jazz-heavy soundtrack really helps the pacing. I like the noir style
flashback/forward from the planning phase to the heist in action. There's some
noticeable compression artifacts throughout. Banding effects, mostly. Maybe that's
an issue with the source copy that the black and white brought attention to? Or maybe
something went wrong in conversion, compression, or rendering phases. It isn't the
worst, I can still see what's happening with a reasonably high amount of detail. But
it is distracting. I do like the story told here. Stripping away the rest of the
film, leaving just enough context to follow along... it's dizzying, separating the
genuine police from the imposters. A very scary, very real concept.

7/10

A Day In The Life:

I'm not sure what to make of this one. But maybe that's the point. A series of
seemingly unconnected events. That's realistic, I suppose. There's not always going
to be a big break in the case. The dangers faced may not be part of some greater
scheme, but simply random chance. We see the frustration that can come with the
badge - and some very human, very real emotion at the end.

6/10

Police Stories:

Interesting juxtaposition. Simple old fashioned examination and interrogation,
followed by futuristic technology. And yet, the heart and soul of the police work is
the same. Find out what happened, how it happened, who did it, attempt to apprehend
them. The third segment highlights the real old fashioned method. Deception,
intimidation, brutally extracting information. Bias, assumptions brought on by
prejudice. The barbarity that used to - and sadly, still can - pass for real
justice.

7/10

Fatal Weapon:

Buddy Cop story minus one buddy. Police work can take a toll, psychologically
speaking. Couple that with personal trauma, and the results can be tragic. Also there was that time he saw Supercop battling Robocop 2. That had to have contributed to his decline.

8/10

The Equation of Crime:

Awesome concept. The editor really changed the source material to fit the new
subject matter, and pulled it off convincingly. There's some odd visual anomalies
here and there, but they don't detract from the viewing experience. Good music. At
first, I thought this might have been something along the lines of Minority Report or
Radar Secret Service - exploring the potential impact of new technology on the
science of criminal investigation. Instead, it's about the lengths one might go to
prove their innocence - or hide their guilt, perhaps. Great stuff.

9/10

Lahey:

A washed up, washed out, disgraced ex-cop tries to relive his glory days, clean up
his streets, and take back his life. Things don't go according to plan. I had a few
good chuckles here and there. Nice job in mashing together a bunch of episodes. It
really felt like it was always meant to be one work.

7/10

All in all, this is a great Consecution. Not at all what I was expecting. Very clever, very artistic ideas throughout. I was happy to have been a part of it, albeit in a very small way. Looking forward to the next one!

9/10

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So far I've watched three of the shorts. They were all entertaining. I'll hold off until I've watched all of them to share my reviews and comments.

Top Bottom