• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ConvertXtoDVD

I've used it with great results in the past. But, in this day and age, there's really no need to convert anything to DVD format.

This is not a fanediting application. Thread moved to File Conversion.

What is the difference between converting, editing, and authoring? They all seem to go hand-and-hand to me.

Adabisi, I am a DVD collector, hence any movie I own must have a disc, menu, art work, and case. Specifically, I use this to transfer VHS to DVD when no DVD is on the market.

moviegeek71 said:
What is the difference between converting, editing, and authoring? They all seem to go hand-and-hand to me.

Converting means to change the format of the file, i.e. taking an .avi and turning it into DVD compliant files. Editing means to change the original file by either adding to or removing something from it. And authoring is when you create menus and/or chapters for a DVD.

moviegeek71 said:
Specifically, I use this to transfer VHS to DVD when no DVD is on the market.

ConvertXToDVD isn't for transferring VHS to DVD, it's to convert files from one format to another. If you want to transfer a VHS tape to DVD you need a VCR and DVD recorder, or a tool that you hook up to your computer to transfer the VHS tape to it. I'm not sure how the tool works though as I've always just used my VCR and DVD recorder.

Frantic Canadian said:
authoring is when you create menus and/or chapters for a DVD
Okay, this (authoring) is what I am most interested in learning, I have Roxio and am not pleased with it. What is a good software program around $50 to make some quality looking menus?

Frantic Canadian said:
If you want to transfer a VHS tape to DVD you need a VCR and DVD recorder, or a tool that you hook up to your computer to transfer the VHS tape to it.
I have a Dazzle DCS 200 which connects the RCA out from the VCR to a USB port and records the tape to MPEG format.

Wouldn't know where to start with cheapo packages, I use DVD Lab Pro and it costs $250 but does everything I could possibly want it to do. I would imagine that all the sub $100 packages will be comparable to Roxio in features and function ( or lack thereof)

I use DVD Architect which is bundled with Vegas Platinum Suite for about $60 total. It's pretty good for creating menus but the drawback is that it requires recompression of 24p video, so I've had to rely on someone else to do the final author for me.

What is "24p video"? What more do you get with Vegas Platinum over DVD Architect? Is it worth the $20 more?

Moviegeek71,
ConvertX is mostly used for virtually any file format you find in the online world. It will then convert that over to dvd for you. The problem many have with it, is that its main draw is speed over quality. However in recent years the authors of the program kind of bent in a little towards the overall quality with a longer encode time. It does allow you now to do a 2 pass as well as choose which filter for any resizing (which is great since lanczos is there)

there are other encoders that do a better job and are free but limited to the formats they will allow you to use (such as avstodvd, facv, etc)

In short ConvertX is really the only program I have ever encountered that will literally convert any format you drop into it without an issue (even if the file is not on the supported list it allows you to drop it in and try it anyway). I have come across various MKV files and mp4 that would either crash the other free encoders or not work due to some issue. ConvertX on the other hand ripped right through those problem files fine

for most people they would have no issues with the quality ConvertX gives. For those that are a bit pickier (like myself) it is to be used as a last resort or if the file format cannot be converted in something else, or if you just want something done quickly

Back
Top Bottom