• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Converting raw .SUB subtitle file to something usable

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I ripped a DVD in DVD Decrypter and ripped the subtitle as a demuxed .SUB file. I'm not making any changes to the video itself or anything, and I want to use this same subtitle track on my re-authored DVD.

Now, can I directly import this file into DVD-lab Pro? Or do I have to convert it to some other format first? And, if I do, what program should I use to do that?

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD Lab Pro for the most part only handles text based formats (like srt, ssa, etc.)

Your 2 options:

Use an OCR program to rip it to a text based format (google up VobSub, there are plenty of guides).

Or if you aren't making any changes use VobSub to rip into .idx/.sub format (which is very similar to a raw format), and then get VSCONV to convert it to .SON format.

.SON is awkward since it basically gives you a time index and every single line of dialog as a .bmp file. (Use a separate folder since you'll end up with 1000+ files depending on your movie).

DVD-Lab Pro CAN handle .SON. In fact it's the only graphical format it can handle.

Top Bottom