• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Converting mpv and ac3 to avi

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone know how I could convert an MPV-video file and an ac3-audio file into a multiplexed xvid/divx avi?

use womble to mux them back together and then use Vdub MPEG 2 to save it as an avi.

or use the freeware tool "imago mpg muxer" to mux them and then convert to avi with "auto gk"

is auto gk a pretty high quality tool? higher than vdub?

well, it is a high quality one click tool. You can set the quality of the output yourself and it does a 2-pass encode to xvid using several great freeware tools, including vdubmod.

Actually, I just figured that I could get this done by making the DVD and then using GK to rip the DVD. That way I'll get the settings and such as I want. I must say that Vdub MPEG 2 seems like a nice tool as well, but I won't be using it for this, thanks for the info nonetheless :)

sounds good boon... i might give that a try tonight. any more tips on what all tools are needed for the 2-pass encode?

auto gk
vdubmod
??

maybe a little tutorial on what steps are needed?
thanks

AutoGK all the way for ease. AutoGK -uses- VirtualDub to do the converting, so essentially, it's like using VDub, but it does all the hard work for you. :) So, if you can get it muxed, run it through AutoGK, and it'll put out a nice, HQ, 2-pass XviD for you. :D

As far as steps to set it up go [it comes with all the necessary 3rd party tools to encode with / do the work], it's pretty straightforward (AutoGK uses steps), so just go from one section to another, input, output, filesize, audio options, hit ctrl+F9 for more options (but leave most of them alone except ESS support, and maybe the cropping if you need to, and also select .ivtc and maybe .colorcorrection, but that's about it - all just a tick on or off). From there, just let it do it's thing. Maybe run a preview first, to make sure the cropping is right (and depending on your codecs and audio type, you may or may NOT get sound in preview). :) If you need help, I'm a PM away. I use it ALL the time.

yep, all tools are included. This one is as great as freeware can be.

Back
Top Bottom