• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Converting letterboxed deleted scenes to animorphic using virtualdub

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Hey Rogue,

Bob's Through a Glass Darkly edit said you helped him convert a file from 4:3 to 16:9.
Could you please tell me how you did it? :)

Thanks,
KAL.

I use virtualdub to do that with the following filters; motion, resize, perspective, logo. You should have resize, perspective and logo, motion can be found here. One more thing you will need (you might not need this actually but i`ll tell you about it just in case, is a 720x480 completely black bitmap, just call it black.bmp and put it in documents or something easy to remember.

THIS IS ASSUMING YOU KNOW HOW TO USE DGindex TO MAKE A D2V TO GET A 29.97 M2V CONVERTED TO 23.976 AND ALL THAT, OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT USE VIRTUALDUBMOD INSTEAD.

Open the deleted scene in virtualdub, add the filter MOTION and set the framesize to 720x480 (always set the framesize to the same as the input video, and don`t look at the filters preview window UNTIL you set the framesize or it will come out screwy). Once you do that close the filter and open the resize filter, under size options click "compute height from ratio" and set it to 4:3. click filter mode and set it to Lanczos3. Under "framing options" click "crop to aspect ratio" and set it to 16:9.
Open the perspective tool and set the new width to 720 and new height to 480, set filtering mode to Bipubic+midlinear.
Now open virtualdub again and open the movie you will be adding to deleted scene to, go to a bright frame where you can clearly see the black bars on top and bottom (and sides too if you want to worry about them). Add the logo filter and with "select image" find the black.bmp image you made and load it. Set justification to MC and use the Y offset to move the image up or down until it sits ontop of the movie`s black bar without covering any of the active picture area, do this for the top, bottom and sides if necessary and then copy the placement of the bmp images onto the deleted scene so the black bars match the movie exactly, if the deleted scene is a bit too wide you can use the motion filter to zoom in by adjusting the start and end zoom (make sure the start and end zoom is the same).
Render a lagarith avi and convert to .m2v with HCenc.

If anyone reads this and is confused, say so and i will do my best to clarify. I will try to add some pictures later to make this guide a bit simpler.

Rogue. I love you. I'm also drunk, but I love you.

Because of the anti radar, or is the guide actually useful?

Rogue-theX said:
Because of the anti radar, or is the guide actually useful?

I'm too drunk to be able to tell.

Awesome tutorial Rogue! I'll have to try it out sometime. Thanks!

You can easily turn letterboxed footage into anamorphic widescreen with TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress by importing the video, manually cropping out the black bars, and then re-encoding the video.

Back
Top Bottom