• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Converting clip from a PS2 game... *HELP PLEASE*

johnboy3434

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to be making a cut of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Ring's film trilogy (even though it's been done before, I've deliberately avoided any discussions on these attempts, as I want to make my own). However, not all of the materials I need are in the films themselves. There are materials I need from the video game "The Third Age."

EDIT: I have the PS2 version now, and it does register, but the files are in .PS2 format and I don't know how to convert them (all the guides I've found only deal with .PSS movie files). Any help would be appreciated!

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i think you should own the version you want i dont think its good idea asking for a copy of it....

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
technically he does own a copy of the material he is requesting. He owns the gamecube version currently. What he is asking for is someone to cap the "epic scenes" and that it doesn't matter if it's gamecube, xbox, or ps2 considering all the medias have the same video source.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah...i'd agree with nex.... he does own a legal copy of the source material... just not on a medium that he can extract it from... which isn't his fault. is just because of nintendo's weird idiosyncracy of "we can't ever use a normal media".

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn...I almost bought this game last night :p

johnboy3434

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I've come by a Xbox copy of the game through means that shall not be discussed and have extracted the cutscene data, but they will not play on my computer! Could the copy being PAL (I'm in the USA) have anything to do with it? They are all in .vid format.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am not sure what that extension is. i assume it is not a matter of PAL or NTSC, but you not having a particular codec installed on your PC to play that .vid extension

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I've come by a Xbox copy of the game through means that shall not be discussed
is it really nessessary for you to mention this then?

johnboy3434

Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
is it really nessessary for you to mention this then?

I didn't know if the way in which I obtained it would be an issue when I try to make the videos playable.

johnboy3434

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I already tried VLC Media Player. No joy (damn, and that can play just about anything, too). Well, if the PAL/NTSC thing isn't an issue, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've never had to rip cutscenes from a game before.

johnboy3434

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I've gotten hold of the PS2 version, now. I've seen several guides for converting PS2 FMVs to a usable format, but none of the tools seemed to work. I then realized that the movie files aren't .PSS (like all the guides say they should be), they're .PS2. I know that they can be functional, as the video is visible in a media player (just with extreme artifacting and no sound). Any ideas?

Top Bottom