• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Convert PAL DVD (film source) back to 23.976 fps and upscale to 1920x1080

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am having trouble converting video from a PAL DVD that was from a film source back to its correct speed without sinc issues.

I have demuxed the video and audio and converted the AC3 5.1 soundtrack to the right speed using eac3to the issues I have is with video.

I need a nice slowed down from 25fps to 23.976fps, join with the AC3 audio and output as an upscaled 1920x808 file (as the video is actually from a 2.40:1 film). I would like to encode the final video as an MP4 file and using the H.264 codec.

VirtualDub is good for changing framerate. Under the "Video" tab select "Frame Rate...". Choose "Change frame rate to: 23.976023" and "Process all frames". This will result in a video that has the exact same number of frames as before, but plays them at a slower speed, meaning a longer runtime.

I tried that and added my ac3 audio back in and it was out of sinc, the audio was early by 2-3 seconds.

lotrjjw said:
I tried that and added my ac3 audio back in and it was out of sinc, the audio was early by 2-3 seconds.

If you've done the thing I suggested, in the way I suggested then your video is 100% correct. Therefore your audio is wrong somehow.

Is the audio uniformly out-of-sync, or is it playing at the wrong speed? If it's the former then just drag the audio back by 2-3 seconds in your editor until it's back where it should be. If it's the latter then it's more complicated.

I used the slowdown on eac3to to slow it down to 23.976fps speed from 25fps speed so it should have worked. Is it possible that somewhere a few seconds of no volume at the beginning got shaved off by some process along the way?
I have found the option in virtualdub to change the audio delay and so far its at 1100ms in testing, I will just keep going until it looks and sounds right, I guess thats all I can do?
BTW media info tells me that the audio is 2h 8mn and virtualdub tells me the video is 184370 frames which at 23.976 fps I worked out to be 126min, 9 seconds and 18.536 frames. I dont know if media info is discounting the last 9.76 seconds or if thats what is actually missing?

I have now put in an 1800ms audio delay and that appears to have solved the problem at least for a small 4min 31 second section, I guess I will know for sure when I have done the whole film!

I have now processed the whole film with a 1800ms audio delay and checked through the film in different places and its now fine.
So make of that what you will, but at least the film is complete and is at 23.976 fps not 25fps!
Thanks for your help I really was frustrated by it all.

Back
Top Bottom