• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Convert m2v to lossless format in .Mov container? (For use with Davinci Resolve)

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm familiar with converting my sources to Lagarith avi format for editing purposes, but I've been reading about Davinci Resolve Lite and decided to finally try out the free copy I have.

The problem is, it seems to only accept source media in the .mov container, although it supports a large number of codecs. I'm a Windows user and have always used VirtualDub for converting my source from m2v to Lagarith, so I'm kind of stumped on how to proceed. I'm not willing to pay for Quicktime Pro (since this is just an experiment) and I can't find any obvious ways of doing this conversion so far.

Is there a way of doing this conversion with free tools? I've tried creating a Lagarith Avi,pulling it into Vegas and rendering as a mov file, but I'm not convinced I did it correctly as I can't get Resolve to even see that the file exists.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should be able to open your m2v file in Quicktime (not Pro). Then choose Export > Export to Quicktime.
I have Quicktime Player (not Quicktime Pro) and I have that option.
You can also use MPEG Streamclip. It works for both WIN and MAC and I sometimes use that to convert to Apple ProRes.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
You should be able to open your m2v file in Quicktime (not Pro). Then choose Export > Export to Quicktime.
I have Quicktime Player (not Quicktime Pro) and I have that option.
You can also use MPEG Streamclip. It works for both WIN and MAC and I sometimes use that to convert to Apple ProRes.

Great, thanks! Will try both options and report back :)

Top Bottom