• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Contrast adjustment advice?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been attempting to regrade "The Rocketeer", as the Blu-ray has an ugly yellow blanket tint. I found a seemingly easy way to achieve this by using a white balance tool in Vegas, selecting a white object (a nurse's hat in this case), and thus getting rid of the yellow tint. It worked, but I noticed that the result seems to have been slightly brightened in a way that reduces the contrast (arguably washing the image out a bit). I then tried remedying this by adding 0.25% contrasting using the Vegas brightness and contrast adjustment tool, but this seems to darken everything a little more than on the Blu-ray and make the faces a little redder.

I have screenshots of the three different versions below. In each set of three, the top screenshot is the original Blu-ray, the middle is with just the white balance tool applied, and the bottom is white balanced and has 0.25% contrast added as well. In order to be able to see the subtle differences, it might be helpful to right-click on the images, download them, and compare them in a photo viewing program on your computer (perhaps clicking quickly between them).

Which do you think looks best? Does the white-balanced version without contrast adjustment look too washed out? Does the version with contrast added look too dark and/or too contrasty? Do you think the original Blu-ray has the right amount of contrast or needs a touch more? Should I add contrast or merely use the white balance tool and nothing else? If the former, how much contrast would be ideal?

EuKvfljl_o.jpg

7ZBUZVqo_o.jpg

cEbp0H1d_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom