• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Considering trying my hand (demos/budget question)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Howdy! I'm interested in making a Mummy Returns edit, and have a few minor concerns: have I got the computing know-how (I've done iMovie, Photoshop and Audacity stuff, but that's about it), have I got the computer (1.5 processor, 504 MB RAM, 25 GB space), have I got the time and have I got the dough. I understand from ADigitalMan's Guide that, provided I finish my stuff in 30 days, I could get this done for free?

On the technical hairiness side, I only intend to use one "official" video source (the film), though I would like to add AVIs of "aged" intertitles created on Windows Moviemaker.

I'm probably in way over my head, but am curious as to whether it'd be possible to do this without buying any $60+ software that may be too hard to use.

Thanks!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The freeware and demo route is possible, but difficult.
Windows Movie Maker is a no-go (quality-wise).
What do you mean with "aged" intertitles?
25GB of space is not much and your computer power is rather very low. If you have to encode, you will wait an eternity until it is finished. But of course fanediting is possible on such a system.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hm... perhaps I'll wait for the academic new year, where I'll have a techie neighbor, to continue my considerings... as for Movie Maker, I only meant making intertitles such as these in jpeg format, then giving them some warps and scratches on Movie Maker. Just some little inserts for the actual project...

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gaith1,
if it helps you, I am on a 1.8ghz with 1.5 gigs of ram (had 2 gigs but one chip died) and i have done a few edits. Depending on software and what you are doing it may not take as long as you might think. Using tmpg to encode (slowest encode setting) it can take me anywhere from 10 16 hours depending on lenth of film and what has to be done.
So it is not that bad

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the input, both of you. Especially since I'm running 1/3 of your processor speed, Tranzor, I think I'll wait for the fall.

I just watched "Attack of the Phantom", which was awesome, but I was disappointed to find it somewhat blurrier than the original dvd, especially in certain scenes. Maybe I'm being naive, having only edited Quicktime clips where quality loss is negligible to nonexistent, but I would have thought full-resolution edits possibile (and assume the Phantom Editor's stuff is top of the line). Is this not the case?

Thanks!

Top Bottom