• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Consecution 9: Romance / Love

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My reviews:

Self-Help by thecuddlyninja
I really wanted to love this one, since "Fight Club" is one of my all-time favorites. Unfortunately there were too many dodgy editing choices to distract me. Not to say that the editing was bad, but it definitely needed more finesse and care. And the overall narrative didn't quite work for me. The way I approach these shorts when I watch them is "Does this make sense if I've never seen the original?" and for this one there are way too many holes and unanswered questions. Cuddly did a good job at telling their overall story, but there were too many things left out to make this it's own neat package. For example, we needed to see "Jack" with Marla at the restaurant after his revelation, which leads to him putting her on a bus for her safety. Without that, we see Marla being dragged off a bus in the finale and her yelling about why he put her on a bus, and it's just very obvious there is more to the story that needed to be seen.
Score: 7.9

Birthday Presents by TM2YC
I absolutely love Michael Powell's "Peeping Tom". It's a masterpiece, but to be honest the parts I was most bored by were the, big surprise here, romantic moments. Who knew that if you took out the serial killing and just focused on the awkward love story, it makes for a great little short. A wonderful job done by TM2YC.
Score: 9.3

Matcha To Bon Odori (Green Tea and the Spirit Dance) by TM2YC
TM2YC really kicked ass with this Consecution. I totally forgot how fricking great "Karate Kid Part II" was. And instead of just condensing the story down, the editor made it a unique experience with the black & white and reframing and making it feel like Japanese cinema. Bravo!
Score: 9.5

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring by That One Guy
This was a damn-near perfect way to concisely tell "(500) Days of Summer" in linear order. Every shot and line of dialogue that was chosen by That One Guy was exactly what was needed to move things along. There were a couple little nitpicks I had, but this was very smooth for the most part. Very stylish and I loved the way it was segmented out. Nicely done!
Score: 9.3

The Most Interesting Man in the World by Adabisi
Adabisi sure does love "Groundhog Day" seeing that this is his second Consecution short for that flick. This didn't quite work out for me, but it was well put together. As others have pointed out Phil is a bit of a dick in the opening and then all of a sudden he's the coolest mofo in town. And it felt a bit disjointed, going from one scene of him being Rico Sauve to another scene of him rocking out on the piano, etc. without really feeling like a natural progression of story and characters. But, it was fun to watch and relive some great moments from a classic film.
Score: 8.4

Dream by Adabisi
This was pretty great. First off, the stuttering of the video didn't bother me, and in fact I thought it enhanced the drugged out atmosphere of the film. The only real fault I think this has is that we're missing some stuff from the end. SPOILERS for a 16 year old film... All of a sudden Leto is missing an arm? Whaaaaa? We don't see that happening. Unless I had some serious amnesia while watching this, that came out of nowhere. Now of course, I've seen the movie so I know what happened, but in the context of this short, it's not quite right. But seriously, that's really the only issue I had with this. (Ok fine, that and the fact that I wish you had kept the double-anal-dildo scene. Fine I said it, are you happy?)
Score: 9.2

Getaway by thecuddlyninja
Very nicely done short. Editing was seamless and I loved the added music. The only downside for me was that it was a bit too simple and kind of just a condensation of "Drive".
Score: 8.6

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: The Arthouse Cut by Ken Poirier
Yeahhhh sooooo.... It's definitely safe to say I liked this short the least. The primary problems were:
1) The aging effects felt forced and unnatural.
2) I didn't know what the motherflip was going in. And I've seen the original movie.
Score: 7.5

Love Kills by matrixgrindhouse
My absolute favorite short of the Love Consecution and I'm glad I saved it for last. Hot damn I sure do love it when matrixgrindhouse makes a "Reno 911" short. This was just amazing. Seriously, I was astonished this was edited from like 10 different episodes of the show! The only fault I have is that the end titles look ugly. Other than that, this was gold and I'm sure I'll be watching this multiple times in the future!
Score: 9.9

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just watched top five break ups with the commentary.

enjoyed it berry mudge.

5b888d74a0b7b64ee586d40c68cf7a62.jpg

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, @"That One Guy"  and @"Neglify" , for your reviews!  Glad you enjoyed.  And indeed, thanks to everyone who's watching/watched the Consecution!  I'm really happy it's turned out so well!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rebue of Birthday Presents posted on InternetFaneditBirthdayCake:

I enjoyed this on several levels. Foremost, it’s almost a different beast compared to the lurid original. TM2YC does a great job presenting a straightforward story that I’m sure the director never intended, and a great deal of the wonder comes from knowing of the transformation and seeing how it’s pulled off.

The original film, I found, is also the source of many of TM2YC’s fanediting hallmarks: his fanedit intros, his first-time edit approval graphic, and his very moniker. I was delighted to discover these elements, like a cosmonaut finding hot, gourmet cheeseburgers in a Martian cave.

The new Morricone score carries a somewhat high volume here and there. And though no fault of the faneditor, the inserted footage from Nuovo Cinema Paradiso has unconvincing aged film effects. But the change I would have liked to see most, to decrease the perv vibe, is movie-within-movie material that’s more appropriate for a first date.

I love seeing edits of older films, and TM2YC does a tremendous job of packaging the charm of another time period. I want to see more of these, please. Take me to your cinema.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rebue of Love Kills posted on ObliviousFelonDetentionBase:

ROTCLMFCO*.

*rolling on the couch laughing my face cheeks off

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to quickly say a big thank you to all involved in this project: MG, tm2yc, adibisi, thecuddlyninja, Ken Poirier, Neglify, That One Guy, anyone I missed, anyone who tried or thought about contributing, you all should be proud of yourselves, you gave 150% and it shows in the work you did!
MG, TM2YC, Adibisi: thanks for putting up with me!

or

ron640.jpg

I'm Proud of you guys, you all kept your head on a swivvel and thats what you gotta do in a vicious love consecution!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
you all should be proud of yourselves, you gave 150% and it shows in the work you did!

I only gave 100%.

geek-300x300.jpg

:D

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah, the thanks go back to you, my friend. You made both of my shorts better, cheers to that.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
rebue of Love Kills posted on ObliviousFelonDetentionBase:

ROTCLMFCO*.

*rolling on the couch laughing my face cheeks off

Rogue-theX said:
Just wanted to quickly say a big thank you to all involved in this project: MG, tm2yc, adibisi, thecuddlyninja, Ken Poirier, Neglify, That One Guy, anyone I missed, anyone who tried or thought about contributing, you all should be proud of yourselves, you gave 150% and it shows in the work you did!
MG, TM2YC, Adibisi: thanks for putting up with me!

or

ron640.jpg

I'm Proud of you guys, you all kept your head on a swivvel and thats what you gotta do in a vicious love consecution!

Thanks for putting up with me, Rogue.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rebue of Getaway posted on RyanGoslingDataBase:

Excellent condensation of the original story. I really enjoyed this. It probably seems simple to take a great and stylish story and whittle it down to its essence, but I imagine it takes quite a bit of skill to find the relevant parts and bring them together in a moving way, which is a testament to thecuddlyninja’s. . . well, ninja-like editing skills. The Julee Cruise song fits so well I didn’t even notice it was an addition until I rewatched parts of the original film, and now that I’ve had a chance to compare the two, I prefer the ninja's replacement track.

The only nitpick I can offer is that the fanedit.org intro audio could have been suppressed during the mention of the scorpion and the frog.

I watched the SD version, which upscaled so nicely on my terebi that I couldn’t tell it was SD.

Nice work, ninja!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rebue of Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring posted on internetvigilantecommandbase:

Excellent prequel. In concentrated form, this edit shows how love can prepare a man for the call of crimefighting. Kudos to the editor for the understated and delicate approach, for not showing the Batcave at the edit's close.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
rebue of Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring posted on internetvigilantecommandbase:

Excellent prequel. In concentrated form, this edit shows how love can prepare a man for the call of crimefighting. Kudos to the editor for the understated and delicate approach, for not showing the Batcave at the edit's close.

I think this is, and will remain, my favourite review any edit of mine has ever received :D

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My favorite thing about this thread are the various names ssj is giving to IFDb.

Top Bottom