• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Concerns over creating 5.1 surround

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there.

I have yet to even attempt editing in 5.1 surround as I don't actually own a 5.1 system. This concerns me as even if I build a 5.1 track in Vegas, surely I could not be 100% sure how it will sound as I have no 5.1 system to try it out on.

Should I just stick to stereo sound mixes in this case?

I'm doing my first full on edit now in vegas, I did a rough draft of it first in 2 channel(stereo) I'm now redoing in 6 seperate channels. In 2 channel the sound editing was much easier but not as good, if you listen carefuly you'll notice a lot of the changes/cuts even when you overlap which even if your visuals look good and are cut well your audience will notice the cut because of the change in the soundtrack. Doing it in 6 channels opens up more possibilities in making smoother audio cuts and changes, yes it more of a pain having to fiddle with them buts I feel half the fun of doing an edit is trying to get the best visual and audio cuts. The challenge! Plus if your going to share your edit more people will want to watch and appreciate your work if its got all the bells and whistle's that the normal release of the movie has. Thats what I reckon anyway.
But at the end of the day its your edit, its up to you.

Thanks Ipd...

In my mind, if the Dvd file you're ripping and then editing with only has a 2.0 soundtrack, then surely it makes sense to keep it in stereo rather than trying to create a surround mix. However my problem/dilema lies with the Quantum of Solace edit I am doing. Currently it's been mixed in my final edit as 2.0 and it sounds good to me through a stereo set up. My real question here though is if I haven't got a 5.1 surround set up to test a 5.1 mix out on, how can I reliably create a 5.1 sound mix and know it sounds okay?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

LastSurvivor said:
My real question here though is if I haven't got a 5.1 surround set up to test a 5.1 mix out on, how can I reliably create a 5.1 sound mix and know it sounds okay?

This answer is that you can't really know for sure unless someone tests it for you. If you edit all six channels in one file (which is how I have done it in other programs) and listen to your edits on headphones and they sound fine, then usually the resulting 5.1 mix sounds fine. (Obviously, with this approach, you don't have the freedom that editing all channels separately brings.)

In answer to your question about films that only have 2.0 audio available, all I can say is that it would be an immense undertaking to make a true 5.1 mix from scratch. What many editors would do is upmix the 2.0 to 5.1 after editing -- Vegas can do this. I don't really care for upmixes, but this is a common practice and would be looked on as an acceptable solution by most people.

Really though, even people with 5.1 systems often experience difficulty making 5.1 mixes. Posts in which people mention problems with mixes that have been created in Vegas/Premiere come up quite often. You're not alone in having concerns over this. :)

I do not have a 5.1 system at home and so I never made a 5.1 edit yet.
I guess you could make some tests then send them to a owner of a 5.1 system for feedback.

Just be sure it worths it, because a 5.1 sound takes some DVD space.
A lot of people here have 5.1 system and would like to enjoy fanedits that way,
but in the end you make fanedits for your enjoyment first.
So it's all a matter of: do you really want that extra work and loss of video space for something you can't enjoy yourself at home?
The answer is not written in stone and can change from a project to another.

Captain and TMBTM, thanks very much for your comments and help.

I definitely won't be upmixing films that come from a 2.0 source to 5.1. That just seems a waste of time and effort to me, although I take my hat off to anyone who can do it and make a good 5.1 sound.

Interesting TMBTM to hear that you haven't created a 5.1 mix yet. Speaking personally, it certainly would not effect my judgement on whether to watch an edit just because it had a 5.1 mix or not. And that's even if I had a 5.1 set up (which I have had in the past). For the time being I will stick with 2.0. If and when I actually get a 5.1 set up, then I will certainly entertain the idea of including 5.1 mixes.

Thanks again

Another thing to keep in mind is that any decent surround sound system is going to have something like Dolby Pro Logic II, which essentially does what upmixing will do.

Back
Top Bottom