• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Concerns about Viz's upcoming DVD and Blu-ray release

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it's the most appropriate one that I could find.

Viz has licensed the entire original Sailor Moon series (all 200 episodes, the three movies, and all of the specials) and will be releasing them in North America, complete with a brand-new, uniform, English dub.

First up will be a limited-edition collector's set for the hardcore Moonies. It'll be a Blu-ray/DVD combo (three discs each) of the first half of season 1 (23 episodes).

I'm assuming all of the discs are single-sided and dual-layer.

23 episodes breaks down to 8, 8, and 7.

I have the "Saved by the Bell" DVD sets. On disc 1, they put 8 episodes. It's a dual-layer disc, and the episodes look compressed. It's pretty bad.

A single-sided, dual-layer DVD has a capacity of 7.95 GB. At 8 episodes, that works out to 993.75 MB per episode. That's roughly 10 MB more than what was allocated to a "Saved by the Bell" episode on a SS DL DVD that contained 8 episodes (most of which were syndication masters that ran 22:17).

Moving on to Blu-ray, a single-sided, dual-layer Blu-ray has a capacity of 50 GB. Full HD video has 6 times as many pixels as SD video ((1920x1080)/(720x480)), and, yes, a realize not the entire screen will be used for a '90s series. A SS DL BD is slightly bigger than 6 times a SS DL DVD, but I doubt those extra 2 GB are gonna help much.

SbtB has only one audio track, and it looks bad. The Sailor Moon episodes run longer, and there will be two audio tracks (possibly lossless on the Blu-rays?). Not sure if there will be any on-screen extras (maybe only on the last disc?). I'm concerned that both the DVDs and Blu-rays are gonna look bad. I'm worried about compression artifacts.

Mark Moore said:
Viz has licensed the entire original Sailor Moon series and will be releasing them with a brand-new dub

Will it be in Geordie? and retitled Sailor Toon? ;-)

Thread moved to TV shows. The DVD authoring is more for how to author a DVD and not about commercially authored discs.

TM2YC said:
Will it be in Geordie? and retitled Sailor Toon? ;-)

That would be something to put alongside Teesside Tintin, for which see YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom