• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Computer Safety

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi All :)

I just saw a program on TV on how to make your PC more secure & I just thought that considering how long we fanedit.org folk need our PC's to be online to download movies that it might be a good idea if we shared our security tips to make our computers more secure.

Here's mine it's regarding a Windows option called "File & Printer Sharing", apparently selecting this leaves you open to hackers so below is instructions to deselect it.

File Sharing should be disabled unless you are purposefully using it to copy items from one computer to another, or to allow a known party to access files stored on your computer.

Windows XP

To disable file and print sharing in Windows XP:

1. Click the Start button in the lower left corner of the desktop.
2. Click Settings, then click Control Panel.
3. In the Control Panel, click Network Connections.
4. In the Network Connections window, right-click on the appropriate connection, then select Properties.
5. Uncheck the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks check box.
6. Click OK, then close the Control Panel window

my tips -
always have a firewall running. make sure its up to date.
regularly scan your PC w/ apps like adaware and spybot seach and destroy.
do not download from shadeball sites!
if you torrent alot, certain apps like peerguardian are worth a look.
if you use a wireless router make sure you have it secured w/ WPA at least (WEP is crap)
dont handout personal info

Even standard WPA is crap on wireless networks, you should be using WPA2 as a MINIMUM.

local security:
* hardware firewall (i.e. a linksys WRT54G < v5 )
* tomato firmware ( http://polarcloud.com/ )
* WPA2
* disable SSID broadcast

networking:
* selective port forwarding:
* software firewall
* software anti-virus (anti-vir, avast, etc.)

disable all unused services
uninstall all unused windows components

on linux i run clam-av

Back
Top Bottom