• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Comorbid

S

steFANedit

a love letter to silent cinema

Genre: Horror
Fanedit Type: FanFix
Original Movie Title: The Lords of Salem
Original Running Time (Min): 101
Original Release Date: 2012
Fanedit Release Date: October 2013
Fanedit Running Time (Min): 48

Brief Synopsis:
Back in 1696, Reverend Jonathan Hawthorne condemned a coven of witches to death, burning them without remorse. Three hundred years later Heidi Hawthorne receives a mysterious record that unleashes dark forces from the past. Something wicked has returned and Heidi slips into its sinister grasp.

Intention:
The Lords of Salem had some cool ideas but ultimately ended up feeling like Rob Zombie phoned it it. Like he ran out of money and instead of trying to raise some more he just edited together what he had and called it a movie. Reading the original screenplay only confirm this.

Now, I just want to say that I did not try to recreate the original screenplay but what I did try to create, and what I felt Rob Zombie's movie were lacking, was a story that made you care about Heidi Hawthorne; a girl despite her troubled past tries to make ends meet only to see it all spiral out of control.

It is now told as a silent film, in black&white. The story is quite different. And with that more interesting.

Editing Details:
-silent black&white 4:3
-Whitey and Heidi are lovers
-no radiostation
-no Francis Matthias
-no turkey
-no montage
-no credits

Other Sources:
Nine Inch Nails "Ghosts I-IV"
The Downward Spiral "A Warm Place"
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Soundtrack by Trent Reznor

Special Thanks:
Vultural
TMBTM
matrixgrindhouse
addiesin
Gaith
- for helping me with something I ultimately ended up not using

Release Information:
NTSC DVD-5

Special Features:
Interactive Menus
Scene Selection

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
this sounds very interesting man!! i love RZ's "Lords of Salem", but would love to see your take on the Fan Edition, especially going to B&W with a 4:3 ratio. thanks for the contribution to the site for others to enjoy and your obviously hard work. Thanks again!

S

steFANedit

Okay that's it! I'm going to terminate my "relationship" with that awful piece of s**t site called "Rapidshare"
guess what...sharing oh so rapidly aren't that easy anymore! Have gotten a lot of PM's from people claiming that "only the uploader can download" wtf?! and being so stupid as I am, I'm paying for their "services" what happened with "costumer is always right"
why didn't they send out emails to all their users before they decided to launch the new update??

"dear user!
it has come to our knowledge that you are a heavy user of the substance that's on the streets are known as "fanediting" and like any other addiction it is highly addicting and might feel good at the beginning but now you're just constantly chasing that first high so no more using for you dear user (it is for your own good)
we have decided to take away the very tools that made you start being a user in the first place (just like we did megaupload) so now you will have to quite...or upload all the 10 fanedits again *evil laugh*

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you're terminating that destructive relationship. I tried to download your edit and got the same message. How Rapidshite is still on business given their policy of annoying their users as much as possible, is a mystery to me.

S

steFANedit

I will have to reup this tomorrow, when I have time, any good suggestions?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd go with Mega. Good speed and no issues so far that I'm aware of.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep, right now Mega is the most reliable free file host, along with Megashares.

Usenet still is most reliable long term storage though. (Just sayin.)

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
steFANedit was good enough to send me an RS link to try for the download but unfortunately, not only are RS not allowing either automated sequential downloads in the browser, they've also done something specifically to confuse JDownloader (as in, links that work in the browser still show up as "can only be downloaded by the uploader" in JDownloader). And with download speeds of a whopping 25KB/s for each 200MB file, it's not worth the leech. I've paid for ad-hoc RS access in the past, but I don't see the point in paying for an upgraded service that would still be inferior to what others like Mega provide for free.

S

steFANedit

Neglify said:
Usenet still is most reliable long term storage though. (Just sayin.)

yeah but I'll go with something that is the easiest way for people to download it (that's how the majority of people are, me included) I have skipped fanedits because "oh man, I really don't have the interest to get into this Usenet thing?" yeah call me whatever name but that's the truth. Easily accessible that's what fanedits need to be for people to (get trough the trouble of) download them. Everyone knows how torrents work so that would be the best solution I think...if only you had a server with all the fanedits on, constantly seeding that is =)

I'm uploading to MEGA right now, will send PMs around (and upload link over at :censored:) after I've cached some sleep :)
good night/morning

S

steFANedit

Thanks for the review pabs, glad you liked it =)
as for the "comment" =) god damn it, I thought I had everything done to a t with the spelling, guess I should have screened this, never trust Microsoft Word and/or google translator...anyway, I hope it wasn't that much.

When it comes to the new aspect ratio I worked like hell panning shots so that it looked like a 4:3 movie and I thought it worked really well, or at least ok. But the movie being shot in widescreen I guess it's hard to make it look "normal" at 4:3 (of topic I most say that with The Myers Family the cropped footage, Halloween 2007 being cropped down to 1.85 : 1 from 2.35 : 1, looked that it was shot that way)
That's my comment on the comment =) thanks again!

S

steFANedit

Thank you That One Guy for your review.

There are some things that you mentioned that I like to talk about here. I'm not criticizing your review I only think that you raised a few interesting points that deserve to talk about, having an conversation that's all (some of what I have to say might equal a rant...bare with me..)

You said that this fanedit is so much different from the Official Cut that it shouldn't be treated as a "preferred version" and you might have some point in that but I think that The Lords of Salem was such a failure that this FanMix is IMO a FanFix, for me that is.
I have read reviews were people saying, "it is old school, no jump scare in this one," and I couldn't disagree more. A lot of scenes ends with a jump scare, loud noise, Heidi wakes up in bed and renders that previous scene completely useless. Take the church scene for example, end with jump scare, Heidi outside church seeing strange dude with goat, and then he is suddenly gone, THEN oh my good he's there...end scene....and none of those scenes affected the plot what-so-ever.
Morgan in the hallway, "BLEED US A KING!!!" BANG Heidi wake up in bed...just like the cheat-editing Theatrical Cut of Halloween 2, Laurie having nightmare jump scare attacks (and it is just to give the viewer some "horror moments")
The ending didn't have any payoff and Rob even patched the story in the end credits using voice-overs. Listen to his commentary track and hear his nervous laugh when he explains the use of the voice-overs as "if some people are still confused"

I was really looking forward to LOS, not hyping it up way beyond what it could possible deliver, just hoping for a entertaining tripy movie that had a story that went from a to z (or in sweden a to ö) now that didn't happen imo.

Okay now I have said all I think I wanted to say about LOS :) let's talk about something else...
Before I sat down and edited this I watch Nosferatu to get into the mode of silent cinema (an early idea was to tint this fanedit the same way nosferatu was tinted) and in Nosferatu you have lengthy monologue that use scroll to get through it all. Now this is just me trying to use a real, highly respectable, silent movie to justify my own us of it. So if you feel it didn't work here then it didn't work here (as always) I just want to say that, fine you don't agree but it has to be that way you know. I can understand what you coming from but I don't agree, if that makes sense.

Now, the ending...
I thought it was fitting. Like "I have to to back and watch that epilogue again, because that went by so quick and was so weird."
I can understand what you mean with it feeling/being abrupt but again, I thought it worked for what it is, instead of THE END titlecard.
the final image is of Heidi in hell
there is no hope left
it's all over

and then it cuts total blackness

okay I think that was all I needed to get off my chest, for now :) again, thank you for taking the time reviewing this.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think for me the reason I wouldn't say it's a preferred version is that I enjoyed LoS for what it was. It's flawed, certainly, and from some of your posts detailing the background to the film's production and elements of the script that were dropped I think it could (and probably should) have been better, but it didn't disappoint me - possibly because I didn't have any particular expectations of it.

For anyone who was disappointed by it, your edit is most definitely a more effective use of the same material, albeit radically reinterpreted - and in that sense I think it almost certainly would be the preferred version.

As for lengthy title cards, I tend to find them a bit of a pace-killer in general - I've seen them in other silent films too and have generally felt the same way. It's not a deal-breaker or anything though, just a small thing that I noticed. I suspect it's largely down to personal tastes.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this last night, sheepish that I was so unaware of this edit.
Probably because, like most "fringe" endeavors, it sliced under the general radar.
Two weeks of comments, then one day a couple of months later.
Not enough buzz.
I enjoyed this - and I actually had expectations - and will scribble a review over at IFDB (still unsure why this is IFDB and not FEDB).
Should you choose to re-edit a V2 of this, please PM me and I will help you with the inter-titles. (you can see many of my overhauls at Subscene or Addic7ed).
I'm not griping or getting on your case.
I noticed the exact things That One Guy saw. Not major, but fixable.
Again, I had fairly high expectations, primarily because of the editor and his oeuvre, and this did not disappoint.

Top Bottom