• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Commentary Track Software

slark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So - any faneditors who've created a commentary track...

What software did you use to create it, and what would you say were its pros and cons?

THANKS!

I did not make comentary tracks on my edits yet but I think it should be just adding an alternate audio track on your DVD authoring creator (like DVDlab pro).
You add that alternate audio and make sure you also create a menu where you can switch from both audio tracks (by adding links to buttons). Also be sure that the "normal" audio track is the one that plays whe the DVD starts.

I have done this. I used Sony DVD Architect to author the disc, and Sony Vegas to record and mix the commentary. worked out nicely.

Vegas can record audio...

*checks*

Jiggity!

TMBTM said:
I did not make comentary tracks on my edits yet but I think it should be just adding an alternate audio track on your DVD authoring creator (like DVDlab pro).
You add that alternate audio and make sure you also create a menu where you can switch from both audio tracks (by adding links to buttons). Also be sure that the "normal" audio track is the one that plays whe the DVD starts.

Yup, that is what I did. For the actual commentary recording, I did it all in Vegas. I first rendered my 5.1 movie audio to stereo. Then I dumped all the tracks I used while editing, pulled in the new stereo track, changed project properties to stereo, recorded my commentary to a new track while playing the movie in Vegas, & then once finished I adjusted the volume envelope on the movie audio track to fade in and out in between my rants.

Whew! There ya go.

geminigod said:
Yup, that is what I did. For the actual commentary recording, I did it all in Vegas. I first rendered my 5.1 movie audio to stereo. Then I dumped all the tracks I used while editing, pulled in the new stereo track, changed project properties to stereo, recorded my commentary to a new track while playing the movie in Vegas, & then once finished I adjusted the volume envelope on the movie audio track to fade in and out in between my rants.
So do you render your 5.1 audio out to a 2.0 file, then reimport into the L-R tracks, and put your recorded audio onto second L-R tracks?

TV's Frink said:
So do you render your 5.1 audio out to a 2.0 file, then reimport into the L-R tracks, and put your recorded audio onto second L-R tracks?

yup

for my commentary tracks I used a much simpler route. I either

a: used windows built in sound recorder (set to mic) and used the microphone input on my pc
or
B: recorded the commentary with my portable mp3 recorder

Either way in my case I used womble to play my edit (so I can see time line references) while recording the commentary as it played. To make sure that the audio from the edit could not be heard in the background I plugged in headphones to my stereo i have my pc audio going into. I then used womble to sync it up. Sometimes also during the commentary I would say key terms at key scenes so I knew exactly where the audio should be.

In the end I would usually have to take out a second or two of dead space from the beginning or the end

tranzor said:
for my commentary tracks I used a much simpler route. I either

a: used windows built in sound recorder (set to mic) and used the microphone input on my pc
or
B: recorded the commentary with my portable mp3 recorder

Either way in my case I used womble to play my edit (so I can see time line references) while recording the commentary as it played. To make sure that the audio from the edit could not be heard in the background I plugged in headphones to my stereo i have my pc audio going into. I then used womble to sync it up. Sometimes also during the commentary I would say key terms at key scenes so I knew exactly where the audio should be.

In the end I would usually have to take out a second or two of dead space from the beginning or the end

That might be useful for Womble folks so thanks for sharing Tranzor! But with Vegas you can record via mic direct to a new track in the timeline, so what you have described is less useful for the Vegas folk.

Is there software that can help keep me from sounding like a blathering stuttering idiot? ;)

TV's Frink said:
Is there software that can help keep me from sounding like a blathering stuttering idiot? ;)

Try auto-tuning it.

Now that I think of it, an auto-tuned commentary is really the only way to go here.

's cool man. I do realise that my arguments were a bit weak, but I have better ones now. Just to let you know, I don't hold grudges against people. My religious nut-case instincts remind me that in my religion, I should not hold grudges against people, because people do have their ups and downs at times.
yes.gif

Back
Top Bottom