• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Command Line Issue with Tranzcode and other programs

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully someone smarter than me can help.

I suddenly cannot use Tranzcode via the Tranzcode GUI. Whenever I set it to run, the command prompt appears only momentarily before disappearing, and no files have been created.

I'm also noticing that if I try to run anything else directly, for instance "ipconfig" the command prompt runs it very quickly then instantly disappears. This issue was not happening until recently.

It sounds as if you are simply clicking on a program's .exe. That's not how you use the command prompt. Go to the start menu, and type command prompt into the search box. When you see the icon, click on it, and the command prompt will come up and remain up.

Prepare your command line in Notepad or some such. Cut and paste it into the command prompt: you do this by clicking on the icon in the top-left, which should look like a miniature version of the prompt itself, and bringing up the menu. Edit → Paste

I'm using the GUI that comes with tranzcode. Not sure if that makes a difference.

In that case, I misunderstood. I thought that you were trying to use command line because the GUI was not working.

Can you try typing your own arguments and using the command-line interface? In other words, forget the GUI: just see if the program is working. If it is, then the GUI might have lost the path to the .exe.

Did you rename folders/drives/whatever on your computer recently? Some GUIs require the user to input the path to the .exe (or at least update it if it changes after installation).

also, try running the GUI as an administrator, and see if that changes anything.

Moreover, Tranzcode is an old program. It might be worth your while switching to a more up-to-date and versatile alternative. See section 4 of my guide to decoding.

That worked, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom