• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

'Comics Britannia' Complete 2007 BBC Documentary Season Preserved

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since it was broadcast, I've been meaning to do a "Preservation DVD" for my own convenience collecting together the entire BBC 2007 'Comics Britannia' documentary season. It's about 9 hours of documentaries about comic books that have never been commercially released (And probably never will be). Apart from the material covering the British industry, there are also superb films about Herge/Tintin, Jean Giraud Moebius, Steve Ditko/Spiderman and Superman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Britannia

I've collected it all together on 3x DVD-9s and here is an Eagle-Annual/Beano-esque cover I made for it...

(^ Click to enlarge)

The set comprises the following films...

Disc 1:
- Comics Britannia Part 1: The Fun Factory (59 Minutes)
The early years of British comics.
- Comics Britannia Part 2: Boys and Girls (59 Minutes)
Post-war era comics aimed at boys and girls.
- Comics Britannia Part 3: X-Rated, Anarchy in the UK (59 Minutes)
Darker comics in the 1970s and 1980s.

Disc 2:
- Arena: The Comic Strip Hero (50 Minutes)
Superman and his portrayal in comic books and films.
- Jonathan Ross in Search of Steve Ditko (59 Minutes)
The story of the co-creator of Spider-Man.
- Tintin et Moi (Narrated by David Suchet) (59 Minutes)
A look at Herge and his comic creation, Tintin.
- Heath Robinson: Suburban Subversive (29 Minutes)
Heath Robinson and his illustrations of eccentric contraptions.

Disc 3:
- Moebius Redux: A Life in Pictures (52 Minutes)
A profile of french comic artist Jean Girard Moebius.
- Happy Birthday Broons (Narrated by Ewan McGregor) (29 Minutes)
Celebrating The Broons comic strip's 70th anniversary.
- Happy Birthday Wullie (Narrated by Billy Boyd) (29 Minutes)
Celebrating the birthday of Scotland's most famous comic icon.
- HARDtalk: 2012 interview with Alan Moore (24 Minutes)
Stephen Sackur talks writer Alan Moore about his work.
- Tintin's Adventure with Frank Gardner (59 Minutes)
Journalist Frank Gardner traces the adventures of Tintin.

I've also included a further 5 hours of comics related audio material from the BBC along with each disc...

Disc 1:
- Chain Reaction: Stewart Lee Interviews Alan Moore (29 Minutes)
The dry comedian interviews the acclaimed comic-book writer.
- Chain Reaction: Alan Moore Interviews Brian Eno (29 Minutes)
The acclaimed writer interviews the influential musician.
- The Infinite Monkey Cage 2010: Episode 3 (29 Minutes)
Professor Brian Cox and Robin Ince are joined by Jonathan Ross and Alan Moore.
- The Infinite Monkey Cage 2012: Episode 4 (29 Minutes)
Professor Brian Cox and Robin Ince are again joined by Alan Moore.

Disc 2:
- Futureshock! The Story of 2000AD (29 Minutes)
Phill Jupitus tells the story of Britain's greatest comic.
- Calvin and Hobbes (29 Minutes)
Phill Jupitus celebrates the comic strip and its creator Bill Watterson.
- Phill Jupitus' Comic Love (30 Minutes)
Personal insights into the world of the satirical newspaper comic strip.
- The Reunion with Sue MacGregor (44 Minutes)
Reuniting the group of artists who created The Beano and The Dandy.

Disc 3:
- Phill Jupitus' Strips: Episode 1 (14 Minutes)
Garry Trudeau, the reclusive creator of Doonesbury.
- Phill Jupitus' Strips: Episode 2 (14 Minutes)
Cartoonists in New York who are struggling to make ends meet
- Phill Jupitus' Strips: Episode 3 (14 Minutes)
The men behind The Daily Telegraph's Alex.
- Phill Jupitus' Strips: Episode 4 (14 Minutes)
Bill Griffith, the creator of Zippy The Pinhead.

Had one bit of feedback on this, saying the chapters went funny on episode 2 of disc one when played on a PC media player (Burned fine though). I checked it my end and it all worked perfectly.

Has it all worked okay for others?

Just picking up my copy now, will let you know how I get on with this looks like its well worth the shelf space ;-)

Hi, I have just joined this site and so am still new so I'm sorry if this comes off as a bit idiotic. But I was wondering how do I go about obtaining a copy of this set? I watched the entire series when it was originally broadcast on BBC4 and would like to watch it again. I thank you for your time.

ThePunisher1974 said:
Hi, I have just joined this site and so am still new so I'm sorry if this comes off as a bit idiotic. But I was wondering how do I go about obtaining a copy of this set? I watched the entire series when it was originally broadcast on BBC4 and would like to watch it again. I thank you for your time.

Hi mate. Welcome to the site, just make sure you've read all the rules at the top ^ of every page. PM sent :).

What a fantastic set of documentaries this is. Just finished watching Part 1 of Comics Britannia and it was fascinating.

Very good quality picture and sound, and the title menu is bright, bold and simple.

A really great collection for the serious comics enthusiast or the keen amateur.

rablenkov said:
What a fantastic set of documentaries this is. Just finished watching Part 1 of Comics Britannia and it was fascinating.

Very good quality picture and sound, and the title menu is bright, bold and simple.

A really great collection for the serious comics enthusiast or the keen amateur.

Good to hear. Part 3 is the best with all the stuff on 'Judge Dredd', 'Watchmen' and 'V For Vendetta'. Also the Steve Ditko and Moebius docs are fascinating.

Finished watching the Steve Ditko documentary earlier this afternoon. Fascinating stuff. Recently attended the UK premiere of the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, so am on a bit of a Moebius buzz at the moment. Will probably tackle that one next!

53216264464_e11ce56b8e_c.jpg

I got a request to reup this 2007 documentary set I put together: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/comics-britannia-complete-2007-bbc-documentary-season/

So if anybody is interested, send me a message.

Back
Top Bottom