• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Cobra Kai: Season Zero

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cobra Kai: Season Zero

E6ZAj0c.jpg

Fanedit Type: Fanmix
Tagline: Hero to Zero
Genre: Action, Drama
Original Release Date: 1984,1989
Fanedit Release Date: December 2020
Orginal Running Time: 238 Mins
Fanedit Running Time: 194 Mins
Time Cut: 44 Mins
Time Added: 0 Mins

Brief Synopsis:
This edit is turning the classic Karate Kid films into a late 80's TV Show where there is a previously and custom made opening credits for each episode.

Intention:
The idea I had with this edit was to try and turn the classic Karate Kid films into an 80's TV show.

Additional Notes:
Episode Titles:
Episode 1: What Goes Around Comes Around.
Episode 2: All-Valley
Episode 3: Balance
Episode 4: No Mercy
Episode 5: Mr Miyagi's Little Trees
Episode 6: Make A Wish
Episode 7: Quick Silver
Episode 8: Focus

Other Sources:
The Karate Kid Part II Blu=Ray
The Karate Kid, The Karate Kid Part II Soundtrack
Cobra Kai DVD
Another One Bites The Dust - Queen

Special Thanks:
@"jrWHAG42"
@"Solemn.Philosopher"
@"Sinbad"
@"DigModiFicaTion"
@"bionicbob"
(Everyone mentioned above is also in the credits for the final episode).

Editing Details:
During this edit I wanted to make sure that the audience's perspective changed from the reboot show and make everyone route for Daniel once again.

Cuts And Additions:
This edit has so many cuts it would be super hard to name every cut,
However the most important things to know are that I trimmed Daniel's jerkish behaviour and hid Terry Silver's intention until the very final episode.

Opening Scene:

I personally think this works pretty well sticking with the 80s style while also paying homage to the actual TV Show "Cobra Kai".

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
Hello everyone, like I mentioned in my ideas thread I have started working on an 80s type TV show out The Karate Kid and The Karate Kid Part III, kinda similar to Sinbad's Back To The Future: The Hill Valley Chronicles.

This edit is still very early in the making so I have only done the first episode's opening.
I personally think this works pretty well sticking with the 80s style while also paying homage to the actual TV Show "Cobra Kai".

Love it... really good title sequence and definitely works in the spirit of the actual Cobra Kai series.  Will definitely be following the progress of this one.  Good work.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
SonofSinbad said:
Hello everyone, like I mentioned in my ideas thread I have started working on an 80s type TV show out The Karate Kid and The Karate Kid Part III, kinda similar to Sinbad's Back To The Future: The Hill Valley Chronicles.

This edit is still very early in the making so I have only done the first episode's opening.

Love it... really good title sequence and definitely works in the spirit of the actual Cobra Kai series.  Will definitely be following the progress of this one.  Good work.
Thank you!

Hopefully I have a first draft relatively soon.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice titles and cut work -- very fun!!!
Also, many old shows list the series creators or executive producers in their titles if you want to give it a more authentic look.

Small typo... you misspelled Pat MORITA.  

I grew up this these movies and love the current tv series, so I will definitely be following this project. :D

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Nice titles and cut work -- very fun!!!
Also, many old shows list the series creators or executive producers in their titles if you want to give it a more authentic look.

I have fixed the typo now, thank you very much :)

I will try and find a certain place for the series creators. With executive producers I will be adding them at the end of each episode which I have seen in many shows before
Here is an example

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks fun! Your intro pairs the beats of the music perfectly to the shot lengths. A great way to build that I-wanna-punch-the-air feeling.

You realize you're setting yourself up to be compared to a very high bar, following in the footsteps of @"Sinbad" Sr and his amazing Hill Valley series. ;)

Will you downplay Daniel's jerk behaviour? When I saw the films as a kid I didn't notice it, but after seeing the youtube compilations showing all his jerk actions, I can't unsee them anymore. Please make me like Daniel again!

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
This looks fun! Your intro pairs the beats of the music perfectly to the shot lengths. A great way to build that I-wanna-punch-the-air feeling.

You realize you're setting yourself up to be compared to a very high bar, following in the footsteps of @"Sinbad" Sr and his amazing Hill Valley series. ;)

Will you downplay Daniel's jerk behaviour? When I saw the films as a kid I didn't notice it, but after seeing the youtube compilations showing all his jerk actions, I can't unsee them anymore. Please make me like Daniel again!

I'm guessing you've seen this video :)

I agree my dad's edit is awesome and I have made myself a big challenge. I probably won't be able to beat him but I will try my best.

I will also try my best to shorten Daniel's idiotic behaviour even though this edit is more about if it could feel like a TV show than trimming the film.

Also the first draft of the first episode is done!

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good job. This is what i absolutely love about Ninja Snake Karate.(as my kids call it)  ... the tables have turned and Daniel is the jerk. I would say with a few trims here and there Cobra Kai as a series would be perfect. I wasn't so keen on the flashback scenes and was kind of hoping Sony Pictures had some old unused footage they could have incorporated rather then scenes we have seen numerous times. I even imported the Cobra Kai series 1 Bluray from Australia as i anticipate doing an edit one day, however, series 2 has yet to be released on Bluray

I am hoping Elizabeth Shue (my first love  :) ) and even Thomas Ian Griffith &  Hilary Swank may make some appearances in the future.

Cobra Kai got so much right and it is a shame that Lucasfilm didn't take notes regarding  the correct way of passing on the baton to the younger generation.

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am certainly interested in this. It might be possible to make Karate Kid II a short interlude episode about Miyagi (Cut out Daniel's rivalry and relationship, though perhaps that could also be spun into its own shortened episode). I also think that Karate Kid 3 can be improved significantly by simply hiding Terry Silver's motives until later.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solemn.Philosopher said:
I am certainly interested in this. It might be possible to make Karate Kid II a short interlude episode about Miyagi (Cut out Daniel's rivalry and relationship, though perhaps that could also be spun into its own shortened episode). I also think that Karate Kid 3 can be improved significantly by simply hiding Terry Silver's motives until later.

Both very good ideas, but I feel that the karate kid 2 episode just wouldn't work.
However for the Terry silver idea that is brilliant I will definitely try and do that.

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
Solemn.Philosopher said:

Both very good ideas, but I feel that the karate kid 2 episode just wouldn't work.
However for the Terry silver idea that is brilliant I will definitely try and do that.

Thanks. I think I would hide Terry Silver's true motive until it is revealed to Daniel, since the audience should be seeing things through the eyes of the main character. It would also help reduce the mustache twirling evil nemesis that is a little too pronounced in the film.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've been working on this edit recently and I think I now have a good ending credits to each episode.

What does everyone think about this?

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
So I've been working on this edit recently and I think I now have a good ending credits to each episode.

This is great. Pure 80s fun.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solemn.Philosopher said:
SonofSinbad said:

This is great. Pure 80s fun.

Thank you, I've worked on the audio again so it works better now.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
End credits look great!

Since this is supposed to be an 80's TV show, have you considered reframing the video as 4x3?

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
End credits look great!

Since this is supposed to be an 80's TV show, have you considered reframing the video as 4x3?

I was thinking that but I feel it would look a bit odd in some areas, I did have a little play with the 4:3 format but it caused many many issues

Maybe for an alternate version I'll change it to 4:3.

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't personally like the idea of a 4:3 aspect ratio. While it is being turned into a 80s TV show, it was not filmed with that aspect ratio in mind and it wouldn't match the sequel TV series.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've been working on this ending here a bit more and I think this is good as I can get it. So I could leave it at a sort of cliffhanger I added The Karate Kid 2 Main theme and changed it up a bit

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mods can we archive this edit.
The edit is good but just doesn't feel as fun as the original.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to hear you are putting this project on hold, as I thought it had immense potential.

But the most important part of fan editing is it needs to be FUN FOR YOU.  This is a hobby, if it is no fun, why bother do it?

So I totally get it.  

Good luck on your next endeavor!  :D

Top Bottom