• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Cloud Atlas: Everything Is Connected by Avid 4D

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Brief Synopsis:
The novel, Cloud Atlas, was a 2004 best seller that used a unique "nested doll" structure for six different storylines, spanning several hundred years. Cloud Atlas: Everything Is Connected is an attempt to more closely represent the novel in its nested storyline approach, with an amazing cast including Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, and Jim Broadbent. It's a long movie, so sit down with your favourite drink and enjoy! :)

Intention:
Cloud Atlas was an inspiring film, but I agree with many reviews that the movie missed its potential. It felt disjointed. The six stories kept chopping and changing between each other which made it difficult to follow if you didn't already know them. Cloud Atlas: Everything Is Connected ties all the stories together in the same fashion as the novel, and gives the viewer time to invest in each individual story, and providing more of a chance to identify the connected characters. It's still not immediately obvious though, so you need to pay attention! :)

Other Sources:
Cloud Atlas Soundtrack

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Question for [MENTION=25703]Avid4D[/MENTION]. I've never seen the theatrical. Do you recommend I watch that first or go straight for "Everything is Connected" and then watch the theatrical to compare? (Of course, I'll purchase the original.)

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Neglify... I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion, but I can only provide feedback from a couple friends who have watched my edit so far. They said it was far easier to follow the stories than the theatrical release, but they also had not read the novel. If you have read the novel and hence familiar with the characters then the theatrical release will be fine. It's your call buddy! :)

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched this yet (it's 3 hours so it might take me a while to get around to it) but I did skim through it briefly. It looks very well done and I'm glad you made it. I don't know what they were thinking when they decided to chop up the stories in the theatrical version. Before you get a chance to learn and care about one story line they're already jumping around. The book's layout was a very interesting and well received gimmick and they just threw it out for the movie.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a suggestion (mostly for the future, but maybe this one too), you might want to split your file into parts before uploading...5.62 GB is a mouthful at one swallow.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frinkstotle said:
5.62 GB is a mouthful at one swallow.

*scratches head*

Yes, and one swallow does not a summer make, or something like that.

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
you might want to split your file into parts before uploading

I understand for some it's a challenge due to Internet connection issues, but keeping it in one file makes it easier to stream through my media center while simultaneously being available for fellow fan editors to download :p

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure you understand what I mean about splitting into parts. You create a bunch of (for example) 200 mb rar files to upload. I download each rar file, then I extract the rars back into the single file for watching.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
avid4d said:
i understand for some it's impossible due to internet connection issues, but keeping it in one file makes it easier to stream through my media center, so er yeah

^ fify ;-)

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure you understand what I mean about splitting into parts. You create a bunch of (for example) 200 mb rar files to upload. I download each rar file, then I extract the rars back into the single file for watching.

No that's exactly what I thought you meant. Let me rephrase: rar files don't stream from the Internet, mp4 files do, and I use my online storage to stream to my home television.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, ok then. It's kind of inconvenient for some of your audience, but it's your edit.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went ahead and downloaded the edit, I wanted to be annoyed at the file size but I liked the edit too much ;)

Review posted on IFDb:

The theatrical version of Cloud Atlas sits on my shelf, unwatched so far. It's a movie that was always on my radar, but I never got around to checking it out. So when I heard about this edit, and read the reviews, I went and bought a retail copy. But I wanted to watch this version before the theatrical, as it seemed that watching this edit could serve as a better introduction to the world of Cloud Atlas. It's a decision I don't regret.

The A/V quality of the HD file is fantastic. The narrative worked quite well, which is a good sign since I knew nothing about the original narrative going in. I will echo other reviews that mention some of the transitions between narratives being a bit rough...rough isn't necessarily the best word, as there weren't technical issues, but they did stand out a bit.

Enjoyment - 10/10. I really had fun watching this, and I'm looking forward to watching the theatrical for my second viewing.

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks heaps for your review TV's Frink

You mention your enjoyment was 10/10 but then you scored it 9/10... did you change your mind at the last minute??? :-o

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, I meant 9/10, not sure why I said 10. I docked one point for the transitions between segments. Still a hearty recommend, however :)

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's been a lot of comments about the transitions. They are just a simple fade to black, and then a new opening shot/title card introducing the new timeline and location. Pulp Fiction had similar fade to blacks with title cards for chapters, and Cloud Atlas certainly has chapters that need to be announced...

sumfungai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the recent signup and n00b question...

I was recently introduced to "Cloud Atlas", and while I enjoyed the movie, it was a mental workout to try to keep up with everything. I stumbled upon this fan edit which looks very promising, but alas, after 2 hours of internet sleuthing, I cannot find a link anywhere that will allow me to watch Avid 4D's masterpiece. If anyone is willing and able to offer me a tip as to where to locate this I would be greatly appreciative.

Edit: I found fanedits.info, but the link for this particular edit seems to be offline.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Avid4D quit this site and took all his fanedits offline. Good luck, your best bet to find them would be if somebody else re-uploaded.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have this edit but I don't know anything about how to re-upload it.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I have this edit but I don't know anything about how to re-upload it.

Use a program such a WinRar (for PCs) and archive it into .rar files, make each 200 MB size. Register for a free account at Mega and upload the rar files there. Then use either JDownloader or Free Rapid Downloader to make a DLC file, and send that DLC file to the Info Admin (follow directions at Info).

Top Bottom