• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Clothing Recommendations

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been re-evaluating my wardrobe lately, and may need help. Additionally, men should probably talk about clothes more often, probably.

Basically I haven't thought about clothing much my entire life, but recently my wife bought me some underwear and socks that blew my mind (and I guess pants before that, but at the time I figured it was a one-off find). I have lived my entire life thinking socks suck and are just kind of annoying and uncomfortable. I feel like my eyes are opened somewhat. All articles of clothing can be comfortable and can fit well. Who knew? 

So because we live in an age of choice paralysis, and there are tons of options for everything, I was wondering:

What brand or article of clothing do you swear by? Even if you only use one product from that brand, what really stands out as your favorite and why? 

The socks that started this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ankle-Non-slid-Socks-Cotton-Ventilation/dp/B07D58FYNN

M&Z Ankle socks. The ankle is made as a 90-degree angle, which prevents the socks from going down your heel. They're soft and breathable and thin.
All my other socks are at a 45-ish-degree angle, make my feet feel hot, and are really thick, so they make my shoes feel tighter and compressed. I hate them except in really cold winter temperatures, but I hate wearing shoes sockless even more. 

And really the other thing that opened my mind to clothing in general:
https://oldnavy.gap.com/products/jeggings-for-men.jsp

Old Navy Flex Pants, Slim Fit. The flex pants stretch when you take big steps, unlike other fabrics that just... stop. With the baby, I am constantly stepping over things and frankly these are a relief on my legs. And I finally understand slim fit is talking about legs, not waist size, which may seem obvious, but when nobody talks about this stuff it becomes quite hidden knowledge. There are jeans and dress pants, both have flex.

In both cases, my wife got me one (pack of socks/pair of pants) and after trying them I went back and bought a lot more. I'm interested in replacing my everyday shoes next. Does anyone have recommendations?

I don't like flex pants.  They are jeggings in disguise.  I pretty much only wear dress pants (they are as comfortable as sweatpants but look presentable) and Wrangler jeans (a bit more high-waisted than other jeans, which I prefer).

My favorite piece of clothing is a black pea coat I got from Mens Wearhouse.  I pretty much dress like this:
MW40_718J_02_EGARA_BLACK_HERRINGBONE_MAIN

Though recently I've added a scarf to my "ensemble".

I wear sweatpants, t shirts, and work boots that were given to me. I don't know much about good fashion. That coat Handman showed looks really sweet though.

addiesin said:
Does anyone have recommendations?

For comfort, or style? Work, or socializing? What kind of climate do you live in?

Gaith said:
For comfort, or style? Work, or socializing? What kind of climate do you live in?

Comfort is my goal. A good fit, comfortable material, and consistent quality, across the board. The look is less important to me. I don't socialize much outside of home and work, and I'm in the US near the east coast, usually moderate climate (we experience all four seasons). I also appreciate a good value, for example the socks I linked are only ten bucks for the pack, but part of the reason I'm in this situation is from trying to be frugal, so if it's expensive it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. 

I'm really mostly curious if anyone has found any "gems" that they count on, if you've found what you think is the best of the best or the best value, or if you're in love with a particular brand of shirt because nothing else feels the same, or something like that.

Handman said:
I don't like flex pants.  They are jeggings in disguise.  I pretty much only wear dress pants (they are as comfortable as sweatpants but look presentable) and Wrangler jeans (a bit more high-waisted than other jeans, which I prefer).

My favorite piece of clothing is a black pea coat I got from Mens Wearhouse.  I pretty much dress like this:

Do you like it because it looks cool or because it feels good? When you're wearing the coat, can you lift your arms over your head? How much flexibility do you retain? Do you have full movement? 
I find that when I wear nicer coats, sometimes they're really inflexible. I do like that style though, if it's comfortable I may check it out.

I always buy Clark's shoes for a cashual work shoe, for the past 8 years or so.  They last forever, are leather, and I love their slip on ease.

dahmage said:
I always buy Clark's shoes for a cashual work shoe, for the past 8 years or so.  They last forever, are leather, and I love their slip on ease.

Your new theme tune (your welcome) ;) :

addiesin said:
Handman said:

Do you like it because it looks cool or because it feels good?

Erm... both I think.  It's the warmest coat I have, probably because it's made of wool.

When you're wearing the coat, can you lift your arms over your head? How much flexibility do you retain? Do you have full movement?

I don't find myself in situations where I have to lift my arms over my head usually.  It's definitely not something I'd want to wear in a really heavy work environment, though it never gets in the way when I have to move some boxes.  I feel like I have as much movement as I need.  If I'm working out or something (hypothetically...), I'm probably not wearing a coat regardless.

i favor underwear with the fanedit.org logo over the bulge.

ssj said:

From now on I will picture ssj like this.

7fb9b8b391a07dc490b595be645c2507.jpg

Ok, thread over. Thanks everyone (edit: Actually, thanks Handman and Dahmage).

addiesin said:

Wait what did you come away with?

Handman said:
addiesin said:

Very little in the realm of clothing recommendations.  :rolleyes: 

But I appreciate your genuine engagement with the topic.

addiesin said:
Handman said:
addiesin said:

Very little in the realm of clothing recommendations.  :rolleyes: 

Oh I see you haven't been introduced, allow me to do the honors.   addiesin, this is the internet, internet, meet addiesin.

TVs Frink said:
ssj said:

From now on I will picture ssj like this.

7fb9b8b391a07dc490b595be645c2507.jpg

Are you saying that is a picture of what ssj looks like, or what you look like while picturing ssj?

If you want a genuine recommendation. I usually buy Japanese "Onitsuka Tiger - Mexico 66" trainers because I know I'm going to be comfortable in them, they are durable as hell and they have a nice classic design in loads of colours.

https://www.amazon.com/Onitsuka-Tiger-Mexico-Fashion-Sneaker/dp/B00QHAMFSM/

I haven't got round to buying myself a yellow pair yet.

24-movie-sneakers-kill-bill.w710.h473.jpg

TVs Frink said:
Oh I see you haven't been introduced, allow me to do the honors.   addiesin, this is the internet, internet, meet addiesin.

cool

I lifted my hands over my head while wearing my coat today.

addiesin said:
Old Navy Flex Pants

I wear the Old Navy Flex boot cut jeans. I quite like them.

As for socks, I pretty much only buy Darn Tough. The socks are incredibly well made, come with a lifetime guarantee (yeah, you can send them back for new socks...) and since they're wool, they are less prone to odor: https://darntough.com/collections/men Lots of different cuts and weights to choose from, so you can get thin, no show for exercise, or cushioned for hiking, lots of standing, etc.

Handman said:
I lifted my hands over my head while wearing my coat today.

A testament to Men's Wearhouse coats, for sure! I have a Banana Republic jacket that was gifted to me by family, and it's not particularly fancy, just has a zipper, no folding collar or lapel. But still if I wear it I can't lift my arms past the point of dancing to Thriller. I'd expect that when wearing a suit but not this. This jacket sucks, would not recommend.

Other non recommendations:
Levi's jeans quality is completely inconsistent these days. Apparently it makes a difference where you buy them. But honestly that's terrible for their brand, you never know whether you got a good pair till they rip.
Vans shoes have also become really inconsistent. I think they got a new production factory and don't have the quality checks up to par, but that's speculation. I'm looking for new sneakers and don't want to waste money on something that will quickly fall apart. The shoe recommendations so far have actually been solid. I just recently got a pair of Clarks and haven't really used them much but maybe I should just try it instead of sneakers for a bit and see what it's like.

ThrowgnCpr said:
addiesin said:
Old Navy Flex Pants

I wear the Old Navy Flex boot cut jeans. I quite like them.

As for socks, I pretty much only buy Darn Tough. The socks are incredibly well made, come with a lifetime guarantee (yeah, you can send them back for new socks...) and since they're wool, they are less prone to odor: https://darntough.com/collections/men Lots of different cuts and weights to choose from, so you can get thin, no show for exercise, or cushioned for hiking, lots of standing, etc.

Awesome, and easy to remember.

These actually look waaay better quality than what I got recently. I need new winter socks while I'm at it, and this might fit the bill perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom