• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS: THE COMPLETE HD EDIT 148min

This will be added to the current listing as a SPECIAL FEATURE: The DESPECIALIZED-ISH COMPLETE EDIT.

Last edited:
UPDATE

Thanks to the vigilance of @ParanoidAndroid I am re-rendering this project at the correct 23.976fps and NOT the 29.97fps which led to skip frames and some stuttering...this was a complete oversight due to settings being persistent and not attached to projects. I missed this one...NO EXCUSE.

New Replacement files will be loaded and I will post here when they are ready.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

W

UPDATE

This has now been re-rendered at the correct frame rate and loaded.

Please PM/Message me accordingly

UBER CE3K
For the first time 25GB versions have also been loaded.
NOTE: Format is native M2TS passthru, so BD Ready for those that like to burn discs.

I'll send you a PM, as I'd love to see this extended version!

ALERT for the 2022 re-render
There appears to be a rendering or uploadin/dowloading issue with this edit causing it to stutter and be out of sync.

I have removed all files and will re-render, test view and then reload ....

Apologies for any inconvenience on this.

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A REVIEW if you have this version. Something is off and I will address it ASAP.
Clearly, the previous files were fine.

I will post when they have been replaced and fixed.
W

UPDATE
Both versions have been re-rendered and the strobing and sync issue are resolved.
There was a mis-set parameter on the MP4 conversion; nevertheless, I have re-rendered all files.

Both UBER and MP4 files have been replace their former versions in the SAME (but renamed) folders; you can use the information previously provided to obtain the revised versions which now all carry the designation
v1.05
in their file names.

I have also taken the opportunity to render the MP4 files at an even higher bit rate (10mbps) which is very high for an MP4. UBER files have been rendered with the same parameters as the parent ripped files.

For the avoidance of doubt, this was originally edited in an NLE using the ripped M2TS files natively and NOT converted for editing ease, making this a PASSTHRU project effectively...(which was slow to work with)...

The revisions are loaded.

Enjoy

W

UPDATE
There continue to be 3 scenes affected by this odd issue. I have not been able to determine why or how to remedy but going back through my old notes (since this is an older edit) it appears that the reason I rendered at the original 29.97 fps was that it was the only way to get a smooth video. BIZZARE.

As such I am re-re-rendering the 29.97fps version WITHOUT the edit flags in the lower right corner (which state the source material) since some found this distracting.

Very cool the way you moved the scene from the 5 Indian notes to a more fluid and continuous narration on the mountain signs! And the re-calibration of the ship's light on the actors!

Very cool the way you moved the scene from the 5 Indian notes to a more fluid and continuous narration on the mountain signs! And the re-calibration of the ship's light on the actors!
Thanks for that...

The lighting at the end is EXACTLY how the original 70mm prints looked in theatres...and I saw it over 20 times in 70mm...I just could not get enough of it.

When it came out on VHS, it still looked ok....BUT when the first DVD came out it was ruined. The contrast was also changed for Broadcast...ruined again...

You could barely make out the visitors originally...now you can see that some of the girls insuits have gloves on...not a great look...

Happy to have restored this for others to enjoy as it was...

Great job! You watched CE3K 70mm in theatre? 20 times?
At least…went to the European premier with my dad…I still have the program from the night…

We then both went again on the Saturday,…watched it twice more.

Then, for a few weeks, I dragged a series of friends to see it…another dozen or so.

It was at the Odeon Leicester so from March to July 1978…

…school finished early on Wednesdays, so I went most Weds on the way home…

It then transferred, in 70mm to Odeon Marble Arch, and played till November

Maybe I saw it 30 times…

....then...I watched it to the point of madness to create this....with two VHS machines

1700163760765-png.5364

The orginal rub down letter strip is at the bottom...the replacement was the joy of home printing!!!!!
Note The Godfather, all done by using large rub down letters and a very sharp modelling knife...to get the hand and etc...

Finally watched this for the first time earlier this year, not sure why my parents never showed it to me when I was younger. The musical scene threw me off a little but I still appreciated it considering I play percussion.

Also recently watched a new movie called “No One Will Save You”. Very cool sci fi alien horror. Seemed like they had a nod towards CE3K when the actress was on the ground looking at the mothership and all you see are various flashing colors reflecting off of her. I thought that was pretty cool.

Wow, I think, from my childhood I watched CE3K more of 200 times! I can't see the pict, it's broken

Dear Wraith,

I've been a fan of this film since I first saw it back in 1982 on free-to-air TV (it was the Special Edition that was shown).
... but what made you want to do the FanEdit as a workprint (DVD quality)?

Yours sincerely,
davbro02.

Long story short, I want to go to the deleted scenes in the edit, but they were only available on standard definition therefore to make it less jarring. I decided to do the edit standard def… I may one day revisit and see if we can upscale and colour correct it better

Dear Wraith,

My old DVD version of Close Encounters - released for sale to the public in 1998 - had the deleted scenes available to be seen on the special features disc (the 1997 Director's Cut was on the first disc). I went back and watched the deleted scenes on the old DVD and noticed that the deleted scenes that you inserted into your FanEdit have a few seconds (here and there) trimmed from the beginning/ending of the film footage. Why the need for the trims in the footage?

Yours sincerely,
davbro02.

There’s a few reasons for streaming them. First of all that material is a rough cut and has no sound effects or music added to it, and although music was composed, I needed to trim the scenes slightly for both passing for removing some errors and to fit the unused music better, but for all intents and purposes, 95% of the material is there.

The toughest of the deleted scenes to manipulate was the one at O’Hare airport and nearly in his truck, encountering those crowds on the road. That again needed a fair amount of work, particularly O’Hare airport, which needed the car sound, affects the door, slamming the Jets in the background all needed to be added.

Dear Wraith,

After comparing the deleted scenes in the Special Features disc for Close Encounters of the Third Kind, I noticed that the deleted scenes on my disc did not have any music, but your re-inserted deleted scenes in your FanEdit has an original score from John Williams, with the music clearly from the Close Encounters soundtrack, but not audible anywhere else in the official movie.

Where did you get this extra music? (I assume that you are not on a first-name basis with John Williams, and that he did not compose this new music just for you.)

Yours sincerely,
davbro02.

Back
Top Bottom