• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Classic Trek: It Traps Us All

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
xtRq8RN.png

This edit combines Classic Trek's 'The Tholian Web' and 'Day of the Dove' into one extended episode, with the alien lifeform in the latter, now also causing the 'space madness' in the former. The alien inhabits interspace, and the Defiant essentially releases it into 'our' universe.

Major changes:

Inserted the alien entity on the Defiant/as it moves into the Enterprise/at various points on the Enterprise itself in the first segment, including in engineering prior to the assault on Scotty.
Cut Chekhov being affected by interspace in The Tholian Web.
Cut all references to McCoy finding an antidote in The Tholian Web. In this edit, events in the first half happen at a much quicker pace.
Cut the scene between Spock and McCoy in Kirk's quarters, including Kirk's farewell message. It's a touching scene, but I feel it would hurt the pace of the story, and tension between our heroes.
Re-arranged the dialogue between Spock and McCoy regarding the correlation between the Defiant and the Enterprise until after the memorial service, since the first incident of the madness aboard the E. is now at the service. Uhura in her quarters, sandwiches this scene.
Cut McCoy's apology to Spock on the bridge.
Added a distress call from the colony as Kirk is beamed back aboard, followed by a bridge scene as the crew follows the SOS, leading into the Enterprise heading to the fake colony in Day of the Dove.
Cut all dialogue regarding the attack on the colony being an unknown attacker.
Cut the corridor/turbolift scene after the klingons are beamed aboard. In this edit, our heroes have no doubt that it is the klingons, due to the alien's already-present influence on their minds.
Cut both times Mara talks of Federation mistreatment of prisoners.
Cut Scotty walking up a ladder and speaking to Sulu prior to engineering being taken over, and truncated the following scene after the takeover.
Cut Kirk's line instructing Mara to come with him and Spock to find the alien.
Cut Mara's dialogue on klingon survival.
A truncated version of The Tholian Web final scene, ends the episode.

Approx 1 hr 17 mins.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Project complete. Thread moved to Fixes, Mixed & TV. Congrats!

Pauln6a

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds really fun! The only thing I would add if doing a fan edit would be Yeoman Rand crying at Kirk's memorial and then a clip of Kirk appearing in her quarters (taken from the Enemy within using her exclamation from Miri, but Kirk appearing would require some home made special effects).

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds really fun! The only thing I would add if doing a fan edit would be Yeoman Rand crying at Kirk's memorial and then a clip of Kirk appearing in her quarters (taken from the Enemy within using her exclamation from Miri, but Kirk appearing would require some home made special effects).
Yes, I remember you suggesting something on these lines to me over on TrekBBS.

It may be something I look into at some point....

Thanks for your interest!

Pauln6a

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I remember you suggesting something on these lines to me over on TrekBBS.

It may be something I look into at some point....

Thanks for your interest!
Aha I would have lol! I popped on here for some help with my own fan edit and got distracted. It's a piece of cake to add a close up of her at the memorial (I did it as a test on my YouTube channel; it took about 5 minutes). Similar with her close-up in her quarters where Kirk surprises her, both from Enemy Within (or possibly one of the shots of her walking out of the turbolift e.g. in Man Trap would suffice as an establishing shot). They are that close that you can set them anywhere with an establishing shot.

The only question marks would be whether it would be worthwhile to use Rotobrush in After Effects to put Rand's head onto a redshirt at the memorial. I don't have enough memory on my laptop to have a go with Rotobrush while I'm working on my TMP edit and it's been a while since I saw Tholian Web so I can't recall all the different places Kirk pops up! Maybe I will have a look when I have some time...

Top Bottom