• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Classic Movies that could use a fan edit

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This site is comprised of tons of movie lovers and with all of the movies we’ve watched, I wonder how many classic films we feel could use a little clean up or a complete drastic change. @The Scribbling Man has taken a stab at some older pictures, but has anyone else thought about other older pics they’d like to tinker with?

I recently watched The Guns of Navarone and I quite enjoyed it! However, there were a few parts that maybe went on a little too long, a kissing scene that was completely not needed and a typical old Hollywood death scene that felt ridiculous. One day I’d love to tidy that movie up.

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas you want to share on classic film edits?

My list of ideas for older films is endless. Like, I won't finish this before I die, endless. The more people editing older movies, the more likely I am to have a life...

But there's probably a theory somewhere that says that we have more fanedits of newer movies because old cinema is best cinema and the modern age of Hollywood has gone to pot ;)

I'm with you @MusicEd921, seen so many older films that need light FanFixes, and not so light fanfixes as well. But I don't think people bother (including myself) since they get little traction relative to newer films. I think that a lot of older films just need to be tightened for pace rather than drastic reworkings, I mentioned a few here, and a couple others here. Some others I mentioned that could do with tightening are Serpico (focus on police work), Duck You Sucker (all of Leone's works really after FaFDM), and The Long Goodbye.
I'm seriously considering cutting down Network to basically half the length just to focus on Howard and not all the random subplots.

I've posted before, even started a cringey thread, I'd like to see The Wizard of Oz be edited to be a tad more faithful to the book. Generally I haven't really seen a ton of classic films.

One idea I had recently that just came to mind, I want to see if it's possible to incorporate shots of the zombies from the 1990 Night of the Living Dead remake into the original. The idea came about because I found the remake to be mostly pointless and inferior, with Tom Savini's zombie effects being the only thing it really has going for it (and I suppose Barbara's characterization, but that's not relevant here). So, why not use such shots to spice up the classic a bit?

I can't really think of any other ideas. For the record, what exactly are we classifying as classic movies? Movies from the 60s and before? Specifically well loved movies from that time frame ("it's a classic" typically referring to iconic movies in my experience)? Are we including early 70s like Heavisyde's suggestions?

All valid points mentioned above. When I say classic, I’m thinking of the era that is more or less pre-1980’s.

Duck You Sucker could REALLY use an overhaul for sure!

There was an editor a few years back that edited Ben Hur into a quicker paced adventure and definitely got some flack from a user or two, but it was predominantly accepted because we’re a good community that fosters creativity (even if it’s going against your own taste).

I feel like it's not uncommon for 80s and 90s flicks to get an edit. 70s or older is what comes to mind. The older you go, the more obscure edits are, generally speaking. Although there have been a few people who drop edits of old 50s TV serials occasionally.

There was an editor a few years back that edited Ben Hur into a quicker paced adventure and definitely got some flack from a user or two, but it was predominantly accepted because we’re a good community that fosters creativity (even if it’s going against your own taste).

Why did it get flack? Because of the editing choices or because it was of an older film? Is this ranger613's edit? I plan on hacking away at Ben Hur myself sometime.

Why did it get flack? Because of the editing choices or because it was of an older film? Is this ranger613's edit? I plan on hacking away at Ben Hur myself sometime.
Yup! The review was removed because it ripped into him for tampering with a classic and he gave Ranger all one stars or something to that effect.

^^ I guess I've been lucky not to get that so far... I think if I'm ever to get flack it would surely be for my current edit - since I've dared to tamper with Harryhausen's animation.

I’ve thought about messing around with Vertigo because I just wasn’t a fan, but I’m afraid of someone stabbing me in the shower if I were to touch such a classic. The last 15-20 minutes though just really bothered me.

If I had access to some deepfake technology, I’d replace the Elizabeth from Frankenstein (1931) with the actress that played her in Bride of Frankenstein so that those 2 movies could be combined. I’m still thinking about doing it with some clever editing, but haven’t felt like experimenting yet. I know it was done before, but they left the two different actresses in which led to some jarring viewing.

As a major classic film fan (in case you couldn't tell from my user name) I would *love* to see a lot more edits of classics, and make a bunch myself. I sort of resisted the idea a bit since most people seem to want to watch mostly modern franchise-type edits, but the few editors that do make them are starting to make me think otherwise. I did make one, a book cut of the 1951 Scrooge, a lot of years ago (currently offline - must reupload) and have a few ideas on my own, to do in case I see there's some interest.

One I would very much like to do is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Ever since I watched it I felt it didn't really live up to its reputation due to some dragging and some lack of focus, but all the potential was there.

I also thought about Night of the Hunter, from which I'd leave the first two acts virtually untouched and remove most of the third.

Then there's the Spanish version of Dracula from 1931, which is one of the worst paced movies I've ever seen. No narrative changes for this, just a lot of tightening and removal of bad acting and goofy mugging shots.

And I must keep thinking about Mystery of the Wax Museum for that double feature with @The Scribbling Man . I just need to find the right score for it.

And these are just a few...

@Dwight Fry I think I would concur with nearly all your ideas there. There is also Billy Batson's Dracula: Restored which does some tightening and tidying on the Browning Dracula and I think might even use some shots from the Spanish version. I don't think anything has been done to the Spanish version on its own though.

@ranger613 edit is amazing! The exact material that needed removing was removed.

The person who had a problem with his edit must have been a religious zealot. Nothing against it...but...

I'd like to see a fanfix of Tall, Dark and Handsome that cuts out the filler from the middle portion of the film. And maybe, if the editor was skilled enough, I'd like to see it colorized.

God, I'd be down for seeing AI upscaled & colorized remasters of old Cesar Romero films, as not many of them have been popular enough to warrant such restoration work.

I feel like it's not uncommon for 80s and 90s flicks to get an edit. 70s or older is what comes to mind. The older you go, the more obscure edits are, generally speaking. Although there have been a few people who drop edits of old 50s TV serials occasionally.
Your nip and tuck of Hidden was great. And my definite go to version. (Apologies i never did get back to you regarding a clean centre channel on the Spanish release bluray. I have just gone through a box of films I've had stored in the loft since i moved a few years back and have found the bluray so will check later...not that it matters anymore :)

As for old films that need a nip and tuck - i could think of a few but i'm having a brain fart and cant think of the bleeding names .

I am going to have a muck around with a few classics but my goal is to modernise them with a rescore etc. All for my own viewing pleasure as no doubt i will be sent to the town stocks and have old fruit and veg thrown at me for messing with a classic. I want to have a go at modernising "Sunset Boulevard" starting with a rescore - not even started the process yet but its on the list.

On the flipside - i want to make modern films look older -similar to your The Thing edit - i doubt i'll do the pan & scan but i'll nip and tuck and black & white them. I'd like to give LA Confidential a noir feel.

I'd also like to turn the HBO series Mildred Pierce into a film like the old Joan Crawford original. The series will need condensing and some creative liberties will need to be taken. I'd also like to turn the 1982 Cat People into something that resembles the 1942 version.

A few months ago - i started the process of turning 1999 a Christmas Carol featuring Patrick Stewart into something that looks- lets say more vintage. For me this is the best version...it needs a few nip and tucks and maybe some additional FX work but it is my favourite version and one that is true to the book, Sadly i won't have the time to complete it for this Christmas. I had the intention to release Christmas edit(s) every year...in the vain of Last Survivors yearly Halloween edits. Sadly this Santa has been working too hard to provide the kids with pressies this year..so time has been limited.

Whether this is sacrilege or not, I often have ideas to do edits on older films, primarily with the purpose of speeding up the pacing. I say sacrilege because part of me thinks it's somewhat weird to try and make older movies speed up their pacing to almost align with modern day cinema. Having said that, we always have the original, so it doesn't really matter - this is what fanediting is all about anyway.

@MusicEd921 I say go for it on your version of Vertigo - that would be awesome to see an edit on that. @Dwight Fry Night of the Hunter? Yes please!!

I've always thought about tackling some of the real epics - such as Ben-Hur (the 50's version), or The Ten Commandments... maybe one day ;)

Your nip and tuck of Hidden was great. And my definite go to version. (Apologies i never did get back to you regarding a clean centre channel on the Spanish release bluray. I have just gone through a box of films I've had stored in the loft since i moved a few years back and have found the bluray so will check later...not that it matters anymore :)

I didn't know you'd seen my Hidden edit - really glad to know you enjoyed it! No worries about the blu-ray. If you do find out, I'd be interested to know, but there's no pressure. :)

Lots of interesting ideas you've mentioned. Would love to see that Christmas Carol edit. I think Sunset Boulevard is great as it is, but I'd be interested in seeing your take!

I say sacrilege because part of me thinks it's somewhat weird to try and make older movies speed up their pacing to almost align with modern day cinema. Having said that, we always have the original, so it doesn't really matter - this is what fanediting is all about anyway.

I think some old films still hold up really well with pacing, whereas others almost seem like they are literally stalling for runtime. Then again it might be a subjective thing - If something is beautifully shot, I have a lot more patience for it. But if it's a campy b movie - hack that sucker to bits!

Last edited:
@Last Impressions it's funny you mention that particular Christmas Carol because I too was thinking about doing something with it to make it a little less dreary and dark. Not to make it more cheerful, but a little more color would be nice and I contemplated a rescore of some sort. 1984 and 1999 are my favorite ones (outside of the wonderful Muppet version).

I'm really thinking hard about cleaning up The Guns of Navarone as it was almost as fun as Where Eagles Dare.

@Dwight Fry I think I would concur with nearly all your ideas there. There is also Billy Batson's Dracula: Restored which does some tightening and tidying on the Browning Dracula and I think might even use some shots from the Spanish version. I don't think anything has been done to the Spanish version on its own though.
I do know that one and even provided feedback for it back in the day when it was ITW. My approach for the Spanish one would be basically a companion piece for that: where that applied to the Browning version what was good about the Spanish one (mainly having the scenes in the correct order), mine would apply to the Spanish one what's good about the Browning one (mainly highly improved pacing and better acting).

@Dwight Fry Night of the Hunter? Yes please!!
Well, interestingly that's the one I might end up not doing, because it'd be dangerously close to an one-cut edit (cutting from Lillian Gish scaring Robert Mitchum away with the shotgun, to the last scene of the kids living happily with Gish - there's really nothing before that I'd get rid of). But I'll think about it.

Back
Top Bottom