• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Clash of the Titans 2010

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't the awesome film it should have been.
That is more or less what I thought of it. It had its problems, but was reasonably entertaining to watch once. It would not be not impossible for someone gifted to add effects to the deleted scenes, but as the resulting film/edit would probably still not be very good, it would be hard to convince someone with the necessary skills that doing so would be worth the time and effort.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And another thing. Who's stupid idea was it to hire my sister in law to act as herself in this film?

titans-witch.jpg

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, the Graeae! I still remember the old Jim Henson version of them from The Storyteller: Greek Myths. That was the best.

Stygian Witches indeed... :roll:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally got this from Netflix. As a Netflix-specific edition... with five or six unskippable previews, no extras and not even a chapter menu! :-o

As for the movie... I loved it! Not having seen the original, I wasn't expecting much; I only had three demands:

1) That it not bore me
2) That it feature some badass fights
3) That it have a sense of fun

And for me, Clash scored on all counts. Yes, the dialogue and characters were flat and bland, but it's a myth movie called Clash of the Titans; I appreciated the movie's sincerity in clashing as much as possible.

I grant that it's probably the most frenetic action movie I've ever liked, but the simple fact is that I get so revved up by a story about humans kicking deific ass and taking names that I entirely went for it. And, being a lifelong anti-monarchist, I loved how Perseus turns down Andromeda's offer of kingship.

Dead Ebert enjoyed it too:
Roger Ebert said:
I like this kind of stuff. I don't say it's good cinema, although I recognize the craftsmanship that went into it. I don't say it's good acting, when the men have so much facial hair they all look like Liam Neeson. I like the energy, the imagination, the silliness. I even like the one guy who doesn't have a beard. That's Perseus. From the first moment we see him as an adult until his last scene in the movie, he has the Standard Regulation Macho-Length Stubble on his chin. And in a city where all the men go to Jerry Garcia's barber, he has a burr cut on the short clipper setting.

So do I recommend the movie? Yes, if you intuit that this review is affectionate and have the same tolerance for goofy Greek gods as I do.
While I never saw the original movie, I did grow up with a vague impression of the tin lunchbox and an admiration for the balling title. If I ever saw the movie, I wanted it to be big, loud, over-the-top and not at all dull. Clash '10 accomplished that admirably.

B+

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's why I can't take your review of movies seriously. You give a piece of crap like Clash of the Titans a B+? I can understand enjoying a movie for entertainment, but giving it a rating like this is ridiculous.

This movie is the perfect example of the kind of crap "blockbusters" that studios have been putting out lately that I have become so tired of that I much more enjoy watching a nice small indie movie like Defendor or The Ghost Writer to these wastes of time. At least Inception delivered this summer, because nothing else did.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, steady on. It might not have intended to seem that way, but your post came off as a bit hostile to me.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, for the record, I give The Ghost Writer an A-. My system is:

A: a masterpiece, regardless of genre.
A-: an excellent film that doesn't quite achieve greatness.
B+: a superior example of its genre.
B: a perfectly satisfactory example of its genre.
B-: an enjoyable but flawed movie.
C+: a severely flawed movie with some good bits/aspects.
C: a lousy movie.
C-: a pretty bad movie.
D/D+: a terrible movie.
F: without any redeeming qualities whatsoever. (I've only ever seen one "F" movie.)

Clash is perfectly satisfactory - hence its B - but it has a strong cast, is lots of fun, and I'm a sucker for a "let's go find the gods and kick their ass!" story. Bumping it to B+ is indeed a bit generous, and I'd definitely be wary of anyone giving it an A-, but I am a generous guy, and I frankly found the movie's setting and style to be refreshingly different. And I'd rather see a viscerally emotional sword-and-sandal mythological epic over a dour, self-important neckties-and-guns movie just about any day of the week. I'm damned tired of guns... and to bring them into a movie largely set in dreams just pisses me off, frankly, which is why I'm waiting on Netflix to see Inception. If all the guns in the trailer had been swords and throwing knives, I would've been first in line.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
That's why I can't take your review of movies seriously.

I think that might be the problem, they're not meant to be taken seriously :smile:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the contrary, if I were a professional movie reviewer with my credibility on the line, I'd still give Clash a B+.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
That's why I can't take your review of movies seriously. You give a piece of crap like Clash of the Titans a B+? I can understand enjoying a movie for entertainment, but giving it a rating like this is ridiculous.

Play nice. -_-

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry about any hostility that came through. I'm glad Gaith didn't get angry as I didn't mean it to be a personal attack. I'm going through some stuff thats keeping me at about 50% attention wise, so I'm sorry I forgot to add any comments or images that would have lightened the mood. Like I said, I think the rating is ludicrous based on the movie, as I see liking a movie and rating a movie as two different things, but I completely respect a persons opinion and don't want to step on anyone's toes. I guess call it a pet peeve more than anything, but I stand by my statements (though I completely see how many would take them harshly).

Anyway, I'm glad Gaith took the highroad and didn't overreact. I hope there's no bad feelings and will definitely read your next review (no matter how insane I may find it to be :wink: ).

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I indeed never saw it as a personal attack, though I could see the implicit aggression... and if there's time to write a thread reply, there's always time to add a quick smiley. :wink:

As for my rating, I'd like to point out that Dean Ebert gave it 3/4 stars, which is probably either a B or a B+ from him.

"I see liking a movie and rating a movie as two different things..."

My hometown movie critic Mick Lasalle has a rule when it comes to comedies: if he laughs a lot, he gives it a good rating, no matter how lowbrow or crude, because a comedy's job is to induce laughter. In much the same vein, Clash entertained me to a great extent, so I feel it's only fair for me to rate it highly. I can see how others may not have enjoyed it so much, but I did, so... :)

FoolsFollowing

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rewatched this last night as I'll be watching Wrath tonight. When I first watched it I was pretty dissapointed; it wasn't a terrible film, but it just felt lacking. The main problem was the pacing, everything went too fast with no time to develop the characters or the setting. I was also a bit annoyed by the deviations from mythology and the diversions it made from the original.

Second time round I was able to enjoy this film on its own terms. And while it does go by too quickly, on the whole I found it thoroughly enjoyable. The action is surprisingly well filmed, it has a good cast and makes nice use of locations. I'm a fan of the genre (both greek mythology films and old-fashioned Harryhausen-esq monster flicks) and thought it was fairly faithful to the style of both: the monster design is really nice, the creatures aren't ruined by bad editing (ala transformers) and the soundtrack is almost perfect!

After watching the film, I then checked out the deleted scenes which are also really good. The alternative ending is quite poor but the rest of the scenes (and there's plenty, around 15/20 minutes in total!) give us a greater insight into the lives of the other gods (all of whom were cut from the theatrical version) and generally adds a bit more character development. Nothing revolutionary, and its still a shame that there aren't more scenes with the mostly-doomed fellowship, but oh well. I'm surprised (and saddened) that nobody's made an Extended Edition of this film yet: I will put it on my to-do list but it would be great if somebody decided to do so. From a faneditors perspective I think the *only* aspect of the film that I would touch is the very end of the film. Persius rejecting the offer to become king because he prefers to 'be a man' is poor dialogue, and IO returning to him both 1) reeks of unnecessary happy endings, 2) doesn't appear to pay off as Gemma Atterton does not return for the sequel (I'll know more about this tonight). Overall this was an damn entertaining ride which (corny dialogue aside) only suffers from going by too fast without slowing to invest time in the characters.

Given that Wrath of the Titans seems to be universally considered the better film, I can't wait to check it out.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most of the deleted scenes have really unfinished special effects though, IIRC.

FoolsFollowing

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Most of the deleted scenes have really unfinished special effects though, IIRC.

Actually only two of them do. The alternate ending (which isn't very good anyway) and a very brief scene with the Kraken in which Persius and Andromeda kiss underwater (which is inconsistent with the IO-love subplot they decided to go with anyway). All the other scenes are perfect theatrical quality.

Really the only issue is that they clearly changed their mind in how they wanted to develop the film. Originally Zeus is purely antagonistic towards Persius which results in them having a confrontation at the end. They changed this by replacing a scene in which Apollo talks to Persius and gives him a coin for Charon with Zeus meeting Persius for the first time and giving him the coin (which is actually a really nice scene, it begins with Zeus being openly antagonistic towards Persius but ends with him showing signs of admiration). The film then ends with Zeus and Persius developing something of a relationship and both growing as characters a little. You can tell that the deleted scenes of the gods were leaning more towards the original ending, but I don't think it matters: Zeus *is* arrogant, but he can also learn from his mistakes and come to accept his son at the same time.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mmm, if I remember the gods reunion's deleted scenes have special effects that look finished, but not at same level as he ones in the movies. Like the gods shiny armor's effects and other things. But yeah. I guess someone with AE could make those scenes look good enough.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even a blind squirrel?

I do hope someone makes a better cut of Clash. I liked it on an eye candy level, and I think that they were actually trying to get it right, but it just falls a little flat.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FoolsFollowing said:
Zeus *is* arrogant, but he can also learn from his mistakes and come to accept his son at the same time.

I refuse to believe that Liam Neeson can make mistakes!

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
I refuse to believe that Liam Neeson can make mistakes!

Yeah, why they don't just call him "Liam Neeson" in the movie anyway (Zeus is so overrated).
:drum:

Top Bottom