• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Chronological Back to the Future by Marty McSuperFly

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit synopsis: Ever wonder how the adventures in Back To The Future would appear in the history books? Here it is, the chronological teleplay of each event in date order, splicing all three films into one huge epic!

Tagline: This has got to be a dream...
Basic details:
Original film name: Back To The Future Trilogy
New film name: Chronological Back To The Future
Original Runtime: 1hr 56min, 1hr 48min, 1hr 58min
New Runtime: 5hr 27min
Amount of time Cut/Added: about 4 min cut

Fanedit details:
Intention: While watching an interview in the special features of the trilogy, it was stated how the producers had an opportunity to go into the first movie in the sequel. Some time later, I wondered how Doc would have seen events happen, as he mostly lived them sequentially rather than time hopping. Due to the producers' over precision on timing of events, there is a clear chronology to the entire epic, right down to the minute. I wanted to present how everything would play out from earliest date to latest. I do think the 1885 opening is a bit slow, but once you hit 1955, it's amazing!

Editing Details: I really just watched all the movies, took notes on the clocks that appear from scene to scene that share dates with other scenes in other movies, then edited them together. The audio is of more interest in this edit, as several audio cues are different from the first to the second film; though I think they blend well.
Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed): There were a few parts cut, and some that just could not be removed, such as the titles of 1 and 3.
1) End of part 2, where Doc passes out, and the camera pulls back and up. This is replaced with the opening of part 3, which is a still on the ground shot. Unfortunately, the cut shot is much better dramatically; but it has "to be concluded" in huge letters.
2) End of part 1, where Doc returns from the future to 1985 to Marty's house and meets he and Jennifer. This scene is replaced by part 2's opening scene, which was reshot with actress Elizabeth Shue as Jennifer. This was for continuity, since she plays Jennifer for the rest of the show. My belief is that Marty's change of the past in 1955 had some slight ripples that changed Jennifer's appearance in 1985.

Tech Info: 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen; 2.0 Stereo sound; Dual Layer NTSC

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
Fanedit synopsis: Ever wonder how the adventures in Back To The Future would appear in the history books? Here it is, the chronological teleplay of each event in date order, splicing all three films into one huge epic!

Tagline: This has got to be a dream...
Basic details:
Original film name: Back To The Future Trilogy
New film name: Chronological Back To The Future
Original Runtime: 1hr 56min, 1hr 48min, 1hr 58min
New Runtime: 5hr 27min
Amount of time Cut/Added: about 4 min cut

Fanedit details:
Intention: While watching an interview in the special features of the trilogy, it was stated how the producers had an opportunity to go into the first movie in the sequel. Some time later, I wondered how Doc would have seen events happen, as he mostly lived them sequentially rather than time hopping. Due to the producers' over precision on timing of events, there is a clear chronology to the entire epic, right down to the minute. I wanted to present how everything would play out from earliest date to latest. I do think the 1885 opening is a bit slow, but once you hit 1955, it's amazing!

Editing Details: I really just watched all the movies, took notes on the clocks that appear from scene to scene that share dates with other scenes in other movies, then edited them together. The audio is of more interest in this edit, as several audio cues are different from the first to the second film; though I think they blend well.
Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed): There were a few parts cut, and some that just could not be removed, such as the titles of 1 and 3.
1) End of part 2, where Doc passes out, and the camera pulls back and up. This is replaced with the opening of part 3, which is a still on the ground shot. Unfortunately, the cut shot is much better dramatically; but it has "to be concluded" in huge letters.
2) End of part 1, where Doc returns from the future to 1985 to Marty's house and meets he and Jennifer. This scene is replaced by part 2's opening scene, which was reshot with actress Elizabeth Shue as Jennifer. This was for continuity, since she plays Jennifer for the rest of the show. My belief is that Marty's change of the past in 1955 had some slight ripples that changed Jennifer's appearance in 1985.

Tech Info: 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen; 2.0 Stereo sound; Dual Layer NTSC

thanks mate, now i don't have to edit the movies myself, really looking forward to it

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep, this edit is totally finished... have you had a chance to watch it?
no one's made a review of it yet, though it looks like it's been downloaded fifteen times...

Has anyone seen it yet...?

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
photoactivist said:
Sunarep, this edit is totally finished... have you had a chance to watch it?
no one's made a review of it yet, though it looks like it's been downloaded fifteen times...

Has anyone seen it yet...?

Welcome aboard to the frustrating world of Fan edits. It is VERY common to see many downloads (sometimes over 100) of certain edits with little to no reviews or ratings for them on the site. A lot of the "gimme gimme" mentality without giving anything back Also keep in mind you created a 5 hour plus edit and most will prob watch it in parts at a time

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have downloaded but not watched it yet.
I did take a look at it and unfortunately the video quality is not good.
I wouldn't say that it is unwatchable (workprint quality), but it should look a lot better.
Even though it is almost 5.5 hours long, it is encoded at a respectable 3100 kb/s or thereabouts.

MediaInfo shows that it is NTSC interlaced at 29.97 fps
One way to easily improve quality is to encode it progressive and at 23.976 fps and apply the 2:3 pulldown.
This will save you from encoding something like 118,000 frames!

So this is actually good news because all the space that is taken up by those frames will go towards a much better picture.

What are you using to encode?

I can tell you even better news... the menus ROCK!

Now before killing yourself doing a re-encode, wait for a detailed review or 2 in case there are other fixes that you can do.
I hope to watch it soon but can't promise anything.

Oh and next time... please upload to multiupload (BEST option hint hint...) or megaupload... it took me about 3 days to download this DL DVD from rapidshare.

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, i was sorely dissapointed with rapidshare's upload as opposed to megaupload. but, live and learn.

well, i can tell you right now, the video quality sucks. unfortunately, it comes from the raw footage i used to edit. at the time, i had no idea half the knowledge we have available on the fan edit sites. i used a crappy over the counter video ripper to pull the video from my trilogy dvd's in a wmv format, in stereo.
le sigh... what're you gonna do?

i'm hoping to revisit it someday with a high quality video in surround sound format. but it was all edited in adobe premier (pre-cs versions) that doesn't seem to be very helpful in replacing with higher quality raw video files. the encoding was all done in adobe encore, which is pretty simplistic, but does allow for a decent amount of creativity if you take the time. which i did... at the time.

thanks for the props on the menu's!

anyways... yeah, total drag waiting for approval. i was so excited when i got on the unapproved list. but it feels like i'm destined to be there for a while.

cheers,
J

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So you were editing wmv files, huh?
Do you mean that you will "revisit" it with a blu ray rip or do you mean a proper DVD rip with something like DVD Decrypter (which is free)?
Also, HC encoder will do a good job encoding, and that happens to be free as well.

Oh I just noticed at the end, 14 minutes of credits is a bit much.

Regardless, I'd like to give it a viewing because I'm really curious as to how the story unfolds chronologically :)

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'll tell you, Zep, there are two really amazing parts in CBTTF:
1) the enchantment under the sea dance
2) the twin/lone pines mall time incursion

those are the really stand out points of the edit, and truly show how blending of separate scenes together should work well. in fact, in my recent project, "Doc's Adventure", i noticed that i preferred the CBTTF version of the the twin/lone pines mall scene over my recent attempt. it was tighter, faster, more exciting.

but yeah, the credits go on forever... as with the rest of the film, i didn't purposely want to cut anything out, just present it in a different order. and since it really is all three films, i included all three films' credits. bleh...

to address the quality issue; well, i've come lightyears since i made that edit. i'm now ripping with dvd decryptor, 5.1 surround sound into as high of quality individual channels as possible, and editing in Vegas for greater output possibilities.

as for the revisit question, i would really love to rip the blu rays that just came out, once i buy them. a few months back, i purchased a blu ray duplicator that could be used as an external blu ray drive for my computer, as i had some fanciful dreams of grandure regarding some BR venture i wanted to start. but the stupid thing never worked properly, and is finally back at the company's shop to get fixed. so, maybe once i get it back, buy the new bttf blu rays, and get some time to revisit it, i will do that.
i've always wanted to produce high end dts-hd ma or dolby truehd discs...

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, clicking the faneditforum link on Ewokless Return of the Jedi on dot org leads me back here... Mind boggling :oops:

newt

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hey. super interested in this, but the rapidshare links appear to be down due to abuse.

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
newt said:
hey. super interested in this, but the rapidshare links appear to be down due to abuse.
been a while since i checked on the thread of this... lemme see if i can whip up a smaller version to download from megaupload or something sometime soon.

cheers,
MM

Ultimist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, too, am interested in downloading this, but the links are down... is there an ETA for the re-up?

UnknwnFactor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, too, am interested in this edit, but the 5+ hours is a bit daunting.

I am wondering if there couldn't be more editing of the movies to get rid of some of the junk without losing continuity/plot.

I recently watched all the movies (bought the blu-ray edition that recently released - never had the DVDs) - took me more than a week to have the time to watch all three.

I think Part 1 is very good and there probably isn't much that needs to be removed; Part II, there is potential; Part III there is a lot of potential to remove a lot of silliness/cheesiness without losing any plot/continuity etc.

Part III has always seemed too "phoned-in" to me and relies too heavily on overlong action scenes and a sappy romantic sub-plot that doesn't quite seem to work for me.

Just my humble opinion ...

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this does sound cool, but like many have mentioned, the 5hr length is a big investment, time wise. also if the video quality is that bad, i totally suggest trying to make it an AVI as I am not interested in watching a 5hr eyesore. I dont mean to come off harsh as I see you were just learning, but this project does sound cool. maybe strip it into episodes based on years? I dunno. at any rate I hope you can get it back up so people can check it out.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This has been removed from info.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only 5hr edit I'm likely to watch is that of that film in which that Gaith guy has to choose between the affections of Rachel Weisz and Emma Watson. :-D

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Always split it into 2 2 1/2 hour movies, so to speak. Keep up the audio and video quality that way and make it less of a long term investment, so to speak.

veggieguy12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm interested to see a chronological, so I'll keep checking this thread for notification that some version of this has been re-upped somewhere...

Vyero Villarroel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Marty MCSuperFly!!

I'm looking for the download link in order to watch your edit.... I'm a huge fan of the BTTF movies and this seems very interesting to watch... even I read your comments about the movie quality, I think it's a great effort to even put it all together...

where can I download it? I don't see your edit at the Unnaproved or any other list here...

thanks

Vyero

Top Bottom