• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar"

I don't think the story is incoherent. I even guessed elements of the end (who is the "ghost") right from the start (didn't ruin the movie to me. I was just waiting to see if I was right or wrong). If the movie was really incoherent one could not guess what will happen next at all. Superman coming out the black hole and saving the day at end, THAT would be incoherent! (but I'm sure some will say it's better! lol)
Here it was clear that the movie was about a girl being separated from her father. So who could be the ghost who tried to tell her something? Two possible answers: some supreme being or her father himself, somehow.
It's maybe not an interesting story for some people, but it is a simple story wrapped in space and time travel and spaceship.
I thought the characters were great and memorable (and well played). The story spoke to me a lot. (I like love stories about people who are separated. Works every time.)
I think that if all you are looking for are details who are not realistic, you lose the heart of the movie. The movie is about characters's motivations and I thought they were great in Interestellar.
The meaning of the movie is not to know if one can survive inside a black hole or not, it's to witness a love story between a father , a daughter, the passing of time. People you lose, people you meet, how humans are reacting facing death... Honestly I didn't even really care about the fate of the whole humanity here. That's the Macguffin in a way, lol. What's important are the characters we meet and the promise Cooper does to his daughter and the fact he keeps it against all odds.
To know if he can do it by moving books or by wispering in Murphy's ear is secondary. That's not what makes a movie good or bad to me.
If anything I'm pleased it was Nolan and not Spielberg who finaly made this movie, because with a story like that, Steven (that I love as much as everyone) could have gone SUPER cheesy...

the father-daughter (not the brands!) relationship was great. That was the best part of the movie.

but why would a more knowledgeable version of cooper's self try to tell himself to stay on earth, when he also gave coordinates to NASA's secret hidey hole, which would lead to cooper's departure? maybe I missed something, but for me, that was an example of the movie's incoherence.

now if iron man and rambo started battling each other within the Saturnian spindle, the movie would have become far more coherent in my eyes. ;-)

^ +1 bonus point for referencing TMBTM's awesome short

A ghost that writes "stay" could be a malevolent ghost.

TMBTM said:
Here it was clear that the movie was about a girl being separated from her father. ...
The meaning of the movie is not to know if one can survive inside a black hole or not, it's to witness a love story between a father, a daughter, the passing of time. People you lose, people you meet, how humans are reacting facing death...

I completely agree with these statements. However, that's why I disliked the final scene so much.

The whole movie has been building up to the father-daughter reunion. It's the most important element of the story. Then he gets back and hugs his daughter, and then he hasn't even been there 30 seconds and she's shooing him out the door! I understand that it would be hard to watch your daughter die, but the whole movie has been building to this point, and then she tells him, "This isn't important. What's important is for you to go start a family with Catwoman." ???

Nothing has been done at this point to establish a romantic relationship between Amelia (the Anne Hathaway character) and Cooper (the Matthew McConaughey character). In fact, for the whole movie, Amelia has been trying to get back to Edmunds' home planet. We see in the last shot that Edmunds is dead and Amelia is alone, but Murph (the daughter) has no way of knowing this. Neither does Cooper. But he doesn't hesitate or argue with Murph that he needs to go find and woo Amelia now. It's an emotionally unsatisfying ending.

The only reason for this ending is because these two characters are played by the two lead actors, who are attractive people, and for some reason, many people feel that every movie needs to end with the two lead characters romantically linking up, even in a case like this where it makes no sense.

I love many other things about this movie -- the imaginative extrapolation of what might happen if we give up on space travel; the visuals and music; Amelia's speech about how love can tell us things that science can't quantify -- but that last scene annoyed the crap out of me.

Sorry for the rant. I'm done now. :)

I agree that the way they found each other at the end was SUPER short. They should have least made a montage of various moments they would spend together. But as one of the theme of the movie is the passing of time, then it is logical that Cooper have to leave her. He still have a life to live and she's not. So maybe Nolan made their reunion very short to emphasis that fact. But yeah, you've got a point. It felt not rewarding enough for the characters (and so for the audience).

"Nothing has been done at this point to establish a romantic relationship between Amelia (the Anne Hathaway character) and Cooper"
Well... yes and no.
There are no obvious love scenes between those characters but just the fact that you see them both progressively knowing each other better and appreciate each other along the movie (plus the fact that they are bot sexy movie stars... indeed) is an obvious hint that, no, the man Amelia is looking for will probably not be in movie, lol.
But I must say that I will have to rewatch the movie to really see if they can't know for sure if Edmunds is dead or not. With all those time passing differently from a planet to the other I'm not sure at the moment.

TMBTM said:
But I must say that I will have to rewatch the movie to really see if they can't know for sure if Edmunds is dead or not. With all those time passing differently from a planet to the other I'm not sure at the moment.

If memory serves, it's pretty explicit he is dead based on the final shot of Hathaway in the film.

Q2 said:
If memory serves, it's pretty explicit he is dead based on the final shot of Hathaway in the film.

Yes, but the question is do Cooper and his daughter can be sure that Amelia is really "alone" on that planet, so Cooper really needs to go to there right away.

Brumous said:
Hey, I resemble that remark!
:lol:

Well, at least m. night shyamnolan has me talking about his movie—I'll give him that.

Michael caine's words of gravitas — "do not go gentle into that good night" — and then cooper goes gentle into that night, good or not! this would be funny if the movie weren't why-so-serious.

Good counterpoints, TMBTM!

TMBTM said:
Well... yes and no.
There are no obvious love scenes between those characters but just the fact that you see them both progressively knowing each other better and appreciate each other along the movie (plus the fact that they are bot sexy movie stars... indeed) is an obvious hint that, no, the man Amelia is looking for will probably not be in movie, lol.

That made me think of one thing I hadn't considered: The lack of an actor playing Edmunds throughout the movie should have tipped me off that Nolan had no intention of reuniting his main actress with a character that exists only in name.

lol @ m night shyamanolan. Too right ssj! Too right. :-D

Whatever happened to that fanedit that someone was doing that was suppose to get rid of the whole ending?

dangermouse said:
lol @ m night shyamanolan. Too right ssj! Too right. :-D

I see dead people. Except not even black holes can kill them.

thecuddlyninja said:
As wacky as some of the things in this movie are, I thought it was awesome to see time dilation tackled somewhat realistically in a film
Was it, though? As I asked last year, if a planet has such incredible mass that mere hours on its surface are decades in Earth time, how can the humans even move a limb there, much less walk around with no apparent difficulty? Wouldn't they be crushed to death by the atmospheric pressure in a moment? Isn't this sort of like saying The Core depicts the Earth's core realistically because its characters explain it's far below the surface, mostly lava, and extremely hot, so while the movie takes some artistic liberties, it's basically a credible flick?

(Now, I do truly love me my The Core, in part because it has fun with its own ridiculousness, and because its characters are far more engaging and memorable than the cardboard life-size standees of Nolan's pic, which I did see most of while on a carrier last year. ;-))

Yeah, it somewhat was. Gravity doesn't really equal pressure, or else the atmospheres of the planets would decrease as you went away from the Sun uniformly. It has to do more with what's around a planet, which makes sense. I've never seen The Core, so I definitely can't answer your question. Although "some artistic liberties" seems super vague and credibility seems super subjective. Though you seem to like the characters in The Core, which seems like it's a bad analogy to my statement purely about the scientific concept.

^ If it were the conditions around the planet, and not the planet itself, though, wouldn't they run into the same problem in space? And don't they pretty explicitly say it's just the planet that has the time-dilation effect, and that things are entirely normal up in orbit? I'm so confused... :)

It is that. That's why Mars has no atmospheric pressure though it's closer to the Sun. The time dilation occurs with greater effect the closer they get to the black hole. It's not just the one planet, though that one was the closest. They discuss the duration of the effect on the different planets around the black hole, that helps them make the decision which planet to go to (I think I'm remembering this correctly).

Which problem did you ask about being a problem in space? There's almost no pressure in space, which I think was the problem we were talking about.

Finally gave this a watch.  This movie had no business being almost three hours long. Did the editor take a long nap and the movie was released without his or her knowledge? Beyond that, it reminded me a little of Sunshine in that both were very interesting movies that utterly failed in the last act. There was some really good stuff in it, which only made it all the more disappointing.

Unimportant (to my overall score, anyway) note, I liked the robots personalities, but the design was stupid. Unintentional laughter every time they “walked” and especially when they “ran.”

7/10

Back
Top Bottom