• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar"

Well, this movie is...unique. This certainly is not a bad film, it's very well made and nicely acted, but it isn't Nolan's best (the only movies of his I've not seen are Following, Memento, and Insomnia, so take that as you will). I heard that this was originally going to be a Stephen Spielberg movie, and it shows with having Matthew McConaughey's embodiment of American expansionism/the American dream looking to find a new planet to save the human race and his family. However, with Nolan taking the director's chair, it's easy to tell where his strengths are, like using actual science such as gravity, relativity, and how a wormhole would look like in three dimensional space) and his weaknesses are, like having a scientist explain her decisions by giving a theoretical, Dr. Manhattan-like breakdown of how love works. Compared to something like Inception (where exposition was necessary to understand how the dream world works), that love speech and the talk about why McConaughey should hold on to memories of his children makes this film feel very over explained. Especially odd since just yesterday I saw Big Hero 6, and when that movie explained it's science I got really excited about how it all worked. I even said on twitter that that movie made it's science whimsical and Interstellar's science interrupted the whimsy of exploring new planets. I actually would like to see an edit that removes most of the exposition, including most of the scientific explanation, making the film more in line with Primer and Upstream Color.

Just saw it.
It's an amazing movie. Even if I guessed some sort of twist.
But it's not the kind of movie where if you guess some things it ruins the whole thing. Nope.
The movie has enough interesting things, enough likeable characters to root for, enough great visuals and top acting to not being letdown by some plot that can be guessed.
And what a great music too. Even if the whole time I thought "Why asking Hans Zimmer to do Philip Glass music? Just ask Philip Glass!". Anyway.
I am so pleased that Spielberg finaly did not make this movie.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Spielberg fan like most of you, but I think he would probably have pushed the "cry-o-meter" a bit too much.
The ending is not far of a Spielberg treatment, but the rest of the movie is so grounded with credibility and with a very realistic style, that the more artsy-sentimental ending works quite well.
Another thing that was obvious watching this movie is Nolan's recurrent theme of "love through time" presents in some of his past movies.
I saw the design of the robot as a wink to the monolith from 2001 but he was good fun and at he same time serves some purpose in the story. So it's not just a little useless hommage.
I liked Anne Hathaway a lot. From her acting to her "Bullock Gravity's" Haircut. She's my prefered character of the movie.
But damn Matthew Mcconaughey is amazing. What a long ride from Chainsaw Massacre 4 to this movie, lol (yeah I know he made a few in between!).
Great use of pracical special effects, great classy 70's style way of filming at yet very modern.
To me this is the movie of the year. Even though the ending is less realistic than the rest of the movie it works very well
and even if we are close of a black hole at a certain point of the movie, the 2h49 of the movie flew almost like 50 minutes less.

Seeing it again (and in IMAX) is essential. Man, what a fantastic work of art.

Saw it last night at IMAX and was blown away. No movie is perfect, so I don't see why Interstellar should be criticized for what is really an amazing cinema experience. I have heard it described as the modern 2001 Space Odyssey, which I was sceptical when I heard that, but can definitely see why people have drawn the comparison.

Worth seeing, and seeing it at IMAX!

Speaking of 2001: A Space Odyssey.....

At several points throughout the movie there is use of the last chord heard from Also Sprach Zarathustra which was famously used in 2001. It's heard pretty much anytime we witnessed an awe-inspiring moment.

musiced921 said:
Speaking of 2001: A Space Odyssey.....

At several points throughout the movie there is use of the last chord heard from Also Sprach Zarathustra which was famously used in 2001. It's heard pretty much anytime we witnessed an awe-inspiring moment.

I don't understand. The final chord is simply a C chord. Can you explain how that is significant? I haven't yet seen the film.

Once you see it, you will understand. It has the same organ sound to it.

I noticed hints and nods to all the classical pieces from 2001 in Hans Zimmer's score.

I just posted about this in fanedit ideas, but I wasn't a huge fan of the movie. Seems I'm in the minority. It was pacing issues, mostly. Just too long. The Dr. Mann stuff didn't really work for me, Cooper's son didn't really work for me. Too much of it just kind of fell flat for me. I think a better pacing and clearer focus would have really helped raise the stakes and make it more exciting. I like the ideas and concepts. I thought most of the actors were fantastic. Visually, it's impeccable. There's something great contained within. I think someone will make a knockout fanedit from this that I'll probably really like.

Here's a great breakdown, I had the same gripes with the movie as much as I like it. It's a good movie and like Jahns I definitely recommend watching it:

My favorite soundtrack of the year:

http://www.amazon.com/Interstellar-Or...

Tracklist:
01. Dreaming Of The Crash 00:00
02. Cornfield Chase 03:56
03. Dust 06:03
04. Day One 11:44
05. Stay 15:03
06. Message From Home 21:55
07. The Wormhole 23:36
08. Mountains 25:07
09. Afraid Of Time 28:46
10. A Place Among The Stars 31:18
11. Running Out 34:45
12. I’m Going Home 36:42
13. Coward 42:28
14. Detach 50:58
15. S.T.A.Y. 57:40
16. Where We’re Going 1:04:03

Ok just realized the best track is not in the soundtrack? Wtf where is the docking sequence. That was better than everything else , not to mention the best scene in the movie

You're talking about when they're docking after the crash, right? I was wondering the same thing. That track is still ringing in my head but I cannot locate it. Probably it's on the deluxe version that's on iTunes (with 7 extra tracks). Also there's this monster: http://www.myplaydirect.com/interstellar-soundtrack

And yes, I agree with you. Definitely the best soundtrack of the year.

DominicCobb said:
You're talking about when they're docking after the crash, right? I was wondering the same thing. That track is still ringing in my head but I cannot locate it. Probably it's on the deluxe version that's on iTunes (with 7 extra tracks). Also there's this monster: http://www.myplaydirect.com/interstellar-soundtrack

And yes, I agree with you. Definitely the best soundtrack of the year.
Yup that's the theme, the spinning dock, it was magnificent. I checked the deluxe out on YT , not there either, so it must be on the super deluxe version you pointed out. Why wouldn't they include the best piece on the cd? Wb are crazy.

It's not on any version of the soundtrack I can find. I was incredibly disappointed. They have the music leading up to that sequence ("Imperfect Lock" on the iTunes deluxe version), but not the amazing music from the docking sequence itself.

Well I found a version of it, but not cleaned; The dialogue actually heightens how epic this was;

Will have to make do until the final version I guess. In the meantime also,

Finally watched it on the biggest iMAX in my country which is definitly the way it should be seen. For me, Interstellar was like a religous experience, so if like me, you worship only Cinema ;-) then go see it on a screen as big and as loud as you can find (Even if it means travelling to another city like I had to). If you wait to see this on DVD, you have failed at life.

Sitting towards the back, it was nice to hear the whirr of the projector for the first time in a year or so. Despite being at the back it felt like I was inside the film and pinned to the back of my chair by cinematic G-forces.

In short, this movie was the sh*t :).

Finally saw this film for the first time in IMAX 70mm. Well worth the $17.50 ticket price. This film was so breathtaking, and the FX were the best I've ever seen for a sci-fi type movie, despite it being more of a humanistic drama. The sound design, the 35mm footage, and the amazing IMAX footage was perfect. And honestly, I didn't mind the pacing. It wasn't obsessed with moving forward so much like modern films. And the plot reveals were well worth the wait. Again, could not have been more pleased with this film.

Now, I am going to cry at the death of film projection in theatres, cause I really want to see The Force Awakens projected on film.

Back
Top Bottom