• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

cheap (but effective) Lightning flash effect

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my project of "tranzor's: the thing", I wanted to have a lightning type effect on the main menu. For my purpose I did not need the actual bolt, but rather the way a room would light up from lightning. I could not find anything for this on google (the lightning bolt how to though was all over the place). I came up with this method and it seemed to work ok. Below is my main menu clip without any buttons.

http://rapidshare.com/files/60729668/thunder.rar

Basically I took the image I was going to use for my menu (old tv set with a plastic skull next to it) and in Photoshop (or similar app) I just lightened up parts of the image. To be more precise in Photoshop I opened the image. Under the layers tab, I selected "new adjustment layer" and then selected curves. This gives you the option of brightening up parts of the image while leaving the rest alone. Once I had my desired effect I saved my image

I used wombles dvd author for this:
I imported the regular image and this newer brighter one. I had audio of a thunderstorm and imported this as well. I put the regular image on the timeline and set it for a few seconds. Once the thunder audio came in, I dragged the brighter image onto the timeline. I then set the duration for 00:00:00:12. Next I took the regular image and put it in and set it for 00:00:00:02. Once again I took the brighter image and set it next but this time making it a bit quicker 00:00:00:07. I did this a few times. Each time I wanted a new flash of lightning together, start it at one number (duration) and then make each number after it a little shorter.

When you play it back it on your pc it looks like the flash effect from lightning. One thing to keep in mind is that if you play it back in womble it actually played a little slower than it did once the clip was fully exported out. Not sure as to why but just giving you the heads up. So if it looks a little slow in womble (speed was not changed and at normal), export the clip and play it in something else--enjoy

Back
Top Bottom