• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Charlie the Unicorn: A Chronological Fan Edit

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some of you may be familiar with the classic web series Charlie the Unicorn. It finally came to a conclusion last year in a 40 minute epic "Grand Finale" that brings in a ton of lore that ties everything together. The other day (Thursday to be exact) while laying down for bed, a video containing the complete series popped up in my recommended on YouTube. I figured I'd watch it, the first and only time I'd previously watched it there were only 3 episodes, which would've been 10+ years ago. I was very surprised to find that of the hour long video, the first 20 minutes comprised of the first 4 episodes, with the rest being the fifth. As I watched, halfway through the finale I was already thinking about how this was the best thing ever. I fell asleep then, and finished it later, by which point I knew that I needed to re-edit this to see how it would play out in chronological order. The next couple days I was busy, and then finally yesterday I spent a good chunk of the day working on this sudden project. After going through it and making a couple revisions, I was finished, and made a post on the FilmCowOfficial subreddit. Basically I described the project, and said that I'd like to share it but only if I'm able to get permission from the creator.
Come today, the creator has responded and said that he has no problem with fan edits, that I can go ahead and share it, and just that he was glad that I liked the series enough to put time into making something like this.

So I edited the Reddit post with a YouTube link (I uploaded it last night as unlisted, and then made it public once I got permission). Here's the description of the video, I figure it's a good short way of describing the project and better than just retyping it here:
All credit goes to FilmCow:

I don't intend to improve this brilliant series, I just had an idea for a fun experiment. Basically it's all five episodes of Charlie the Unicorn (plus the Hot Topic video) recut in chronological order, with some further trimming to make the episodes flow into each other and feel more like a proper movie to the best of my ability. I wouldn't recommend watching this if you aren't already familiar with the series.
And lastly, here is the video:

I put it here in Special Projects/Shorts because of the unique nature of editing a web series. It could probably go into TV-to-Movie or FanMix, but I just feel like it belongs better here.

Got my older sibling to watch this with me. Like myself, they'd seen the first three videos years ago. While I don't recommend watching my version without seeing the originals, I figured they were familiar enough that the recontexualization of the earlier episodes with the fifth episodes wouldn't ruin the experience coming first as it otherwise would.
So anyways, my sibling thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm so glad. I did however find that my transitions between episodes didn't flow quite as well as I thought they did, they need more breathing room. Otherwise, the editing between scenes in the fifth episode that would normally cut back and forth, I think all of those transitions were seamless. I'll probably end up fixing this, it'll just be a pain reuploading it. I don't think it's unwatchable by any means in any case.

lol, I remember this. I don't think my brain would be able to hack more than 5 minutes :ROFLMAO: I used to find it amusing, but I think it would get on my nerves now. Cool idea though.

Back
Top Bottom