• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory: Book Cut Edition by Mr.Lovebucket

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[video=youtube_share;tENhXgBLwlk]

This is the trailer for my first fanedit.
My intention was to recut the movie that it follows the storyline from the book by Roald Dahl.
That worked very well, but some scenes couldn't be cut without generating plot-holes, so I left them in.
I think my book-cut is as close to the book as possible.

Main changes are:
  • Subplot with little Willy Wonka and Dr. Wonka completely removed
  • Most of the scenes with Charlie Bucket whining are cut. Charlie is the hero!
  • New opening sequence (take a look at the trailer) that follows the introduction of the Bucket-Family from the book

I think the edit will be done in October / November this year.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice! There was already a fanedit of this movie made, but one that I don't think went far enough. The book is one of my favorites, as a kid I read it complete in ONE afternoon! And gosh, did I hate the movie with a passion! It pretty much goes completely against the spirit of the book. I did like the Gene Wilder version, though.

Apart from your changes, is it possible to:

-tone down Willy Wonka's exaggerated effeminacy?

and

-remove Willy's longing for a family from the whole movie, including the ending, and try to make said ending more like the book's, even if you have to lift some shots from the seventies version?

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
-tone down Willy Wonka's exaggerated effeminacy?

and

-remove Willy's longing for a family from the whole movie, including the ending, and try to make said ending more like the book's, even if you have to lift some shots from the seventies version?

I think all in all Willy Wonka has less effeminacy in my version. As I cut all the flashbacks to his childhood and stripped down the ending also his longing for a family is not so outstanding anymore.

The 70s movie isn't really popular here in Germany. I think it was on TV only two or three times, but I never watched it.
I saw some trailers on YouTube, but I never thought on using scenes from it.

So it's just the Tim Burton / Johnny Depp version recut :).

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The ending of the 70s version is pretty much the ending of the book. You can resort to using some shots from it to reconstruct the book ending if the Tim Burton footage won't suffice.

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched some clips of the 70s movie, and I must say: It won't fit!

I like the mood and the atmosphere of Tim Burton's movie. I didn't want to change that.
I want the storyline to follow the book. So I cut out as much as possible that doesn't appear in the original story.
Cutting out the puppet scene/song was hard for me (I inserted it later...surprise, surprise :))

In the second half of the film I almost let Johnny Depp do his thing. He's crazy in a different way than Gene Wilder, and I like that. Just as I like nearly everything Depp/Burton did together.

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The edit is almost finished.

I'm cutting the english soundtrack at the moment (german version is completed).
After that it's just the authoring.

So it will be ready for approvement, soon.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
^ The ending of the 70s version is pretty much the ending of the book. You can resort to using some shots from it to reconstruct the book ending if the Tim Burton footage won't suffice.

This would be extremely jarring, given the differences in style.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was in response to you saying "After that it's just the authoring."

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
It was in response to you saying "After that it's just the authoring."

Oh, I got that! I just felt to point out, as so many did before, that the whole editing process (incl. authoring) is a steady process of learning.

Is anybody taking anything too seriously? :?

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally finished the english language version. As there are still some flickering- and soundissues, there is still some work to do. As I'm editing in PAL I was thinking about converting it to NTSC in end. I hope exporting it from Premiere Pro will do the job. If there are issues I'll post to the technical forum.

I hopefully prerelease the edit for approvement at the end of October.

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The PAL AVI english-language-only version of the bookcut is in progress (converting with DeVeDe)
When the edit is approved, a PAL-DVD with English and German soundtrack will follow (maybe an NTSC-Version, too)

I'm going through the cutlist right now to see if I forgot to mention anything and then I will fill out the firstling's submission form. I hope that there will be someone with enough time to watch it, as it is the time between xmas and new years eve.
If not, we all have time till January, haven't we?

I stopped working around with the quality issues at some zoomed-in scenes. These scenes are so damn short, it won't harm the watching pleasure too much.
I also quit to use Adobe Encore for authoring, it's just freaking me out. I will make it by "hand" with IFOedit and/or some Linux Authoring tools.
There is still some work on the DVD-Cover to do. But that will be done in minutes.

Well, all in all, it's just some days away for you to watch the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Bookcut Edition!

Thank You!

Mr.Lovebucket

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After two years pausing this fanedit is finally due to be released.

There will be no DVD Version for now, but a mp4 dual language (english/german) only.

It's time to fill out my submission now!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure what this thread was doing in the subforum for completed approved edits. Until it gets submitted and approved, I'm moving it to In The Works.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IIRC it was in the Pending Approval subforum, which is for Unapproved Editors awaiting approval. Not exactly sure why it was there, but since Mr.Lovebucket is an approved editor, I believe this can either be moved to the Fix/Mix forum, or he can make a new thread there and we can archive this one.

Mr.Lovebucket, what say you?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ and ^^. Sorry for the confusion guys, this has now been submitted, approved, added to IFDB etc. I moved the thread to completed last night.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, downloaded last night :D will watch soon!
P.S. Also leaving a review soon (I have a lot of those to do :oops:)

Top Bottom