• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Chapter editor with video?

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is anyone aware of software specifically to make chapters but one that lets you designate the start/end times by selecting the frame in a video?

You could change your timeline settings to show audio time units (milliseconds) and then copy paste the exact time stamp into your chapter editor program

yeah I just wish NLE’s could make the chapter file.

The only chapter editor I've seen is in Handbrake (I haven't looked deep into the subject, though). Unfortunately if that's all you used Handbrake for you'd have to demux the chapters file out and remux it into your "master" video render.

Sounds annoying to do, but if there's no other way you find, at least it should give the results you want. Just not conveniently.

Edit: I do think some NLEs let you add flags or markers in the timeline and during export you can choose to set those as chapter points, but again, haven't looked into it deeply.

In Davinci Resolve, you can add marker points to your video, then export these markers as chapter points when you render.

In Davinci Resolve, you can add marker points to your video, then export these markers as chapter points when you render.
Yeah, and you can choose which colour of marker points to use for the chapters, so you can still use other colour(s) of markers for other purposes.

Is anyone aware of software specifically to make chapters but one that lets you designate the start/end times by selecting the frame in a video?
Drax lets you do it to mp4 files and you can input the specific frame!

Edit: which I just realized, is not what you asked... lol

You can't make chapters with Handbrake. HB supports chapters, it reads them if the file does have them, but you can't make chapters from scratch with Handbrake on a file that doesn't already have them. I could be wrong but I don't think so in this instance.

You can't make chapters with Handbrake. HB supports chapters, it reads them if the file does have them, but you can't make chapters from scratch with Handbrake on a file that doesn't already have them. I could be wrong but I don't think so in this instance.
My mistake then.

I figured out the easiest possible way to add chapters. You can just import a textfile formatted like this into mkvtoolnix:

CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=
CHAPTER02=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER02NAME=
CHAPTER03=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER03NAME=

While on the subject u can also add chapter markers as you edit in premiere (im sure you know but just in case right click, and they show up as red marks) and then when ur done go file > export markers (select text file). It spits out a text file and the format is as follows:

Asset Name In Point Description
test2 chapter 1 00:00:00:00000
test2 chapter 2 00:00:24:19570
Again make sure to set it to audio time units or else the number will be like 24:5 (which is 24 seconds 5 frames). Might be useful in future projects so you don't have to manually type each number. Then same for me, I use mkvtoolnix and that allows you to import in a variety of different chapter files

Back
Top Bottom