• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Changing how a button is highlighted

CasmirRadon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[DVD Lab Pro 2]

Here is what I want to do... I'm just not sure if it is possible.

I made some text buttons for my DVD menu. I want them to look black when they are unselected, and beveled white when they are selected.

I tried to do this by creating some black text, and then creating a copy of that text right above it colored white with a bevel. Then I made the white text into a linked button that was set to be invisible until it was selected.

My thought was that it would be invisible, showing the viewer the black text only (so far so good), then when it was highlighted you would see the white beveled text.

But instead DVD-lab only wants to show a highlighted solid color of the shape. I can change the transparency, but not the look of this highlighted button.

Is what I want impossible in DVD-lab? How about other programs?

White: yes. Beveled: no.
the highlighting is a one-colour gif image, overlaying the image of the menu. It cannot have any effects.

Too bad. But good to know what I have to work with. Thanks for the reply Boon.

Hey guys, just a question, I have: I've been following boon's guide (thanks by the way for the great guide) for DVD authoring and I am right now making the animated scene selection, the thing I'd like to try:
I don't really like the square highlights, so i switched the chapters highlight off, but I'd like to have some kind of indicator which scene is selected, so i was thinking of an X that would appear over the picture, i tried to put a picture of an X over the scene:

anotherx.png

so my first attempt was to put the picture over the chapter-picture and setting it on "highlighting only", so the X would appear when the user points his mouse over the chapter... but it just doesn't work the way i imagined... anyone can give me some advice how to do this?

What exactly happens in the above example? Is your picture not hightlighting? Are you using Dvd Lab Pro?:Yellow_Flash_Colorz

nothing happens, the x-image is set to highlighting only, but there is no highlight or anything when i compile the dvd
yes i'm using dvd lab pro

Did you link it to the chapter it is suppose to go to? Did you map it to the colors you want? Did you press the play button at the top (the preview menu button) and click it to see that it goes to the chapter in the movie?

Okay I should have read your post more thoroughly. I see you are making animated chapter menus, right? This is exactly the same problem I had with my Star Wars edit chapter menus. I figured it out, just involves one extra step. For starters you have to make the animated menus first. Then you take that video (m2v) and put in the video line of your menu, then you can put the buttons on top of that and should work!

Thank you very much, I managed to do it, by animating the menues as you said, then removing the menu link and adding the link to the png file

Good to know. May I ask what the edit it is you are working on? :madgrin:

AH! Goddamn it, I'm going mad!
Everything is done, it even fits on a SL disk, the menu's are working, the movie etc, but for one reason one dvd menu is totally messed up:
I used "highlighting only" for all the buttons so that the white x only appears when your cursor is over the chapter - it works with all the menus except one chapter menu where all the buttons are shown despite having set every single button onto "highlighting only"
i also checked the background vid to see if i may have accidentally rendered the x-es into the background vid, but nada, it's clean

with vlc it works perfectly, no white x-es when i don't want them, but with windows media player everything is visible... same goes for my ps3 :(

Well since I can't see it, hard to tell what it could be because there might be a few factors causing it. One suggestion since it is just that one menu, have you thought about just redoing just that menu? I'm actually surprised about VLC, I really don't like that player at all. However, I noticed a lot of people use it. :frusty:

Should have recreteated the entire menu in the first place instead of wasting so much time trying to fix it - lazyness can be a bitch,
thanks

does mediaplayer classic have a problem with antialising switched on in the highlighting options?

steelio sent me a pm saying that the menu wasn't highlighted. it works on dvd players, windows media player, vlc and ps3 but i put it now with mediaplayerclassic and it doesn't highlight

Good question! I really don't know. I hardly ever use Media player classic, just to play .mkv files and that's about it. For me anyway, Windows media player is all I need! :high5:

sometimes odd errors will occur with various players for the computer. Really your best judge is playing it on a regular set top dvd player.

This program here can also work/manipulate and so on subpics for dvd menus (in fact I think it is the only program to do such a thing). You might want to give this a try and load the troublesome vob file with that menu in it
dvdsubedit (also it's free)
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDSubEdit

Back
Top Bottom